Player of the Decade .... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Player of the Decade ....

Reaction Score
Interesting! Didn't the 21'st Century begin in 2000 if that is correct didn't the first decade end in 2019?
My father who was born at the end of a year ending in Zero. I never got his age right. Zero's are confusing!!!
No, the 21st century began Jan. 1, 2001. Just count to 100, you have to include 100.

Reaction Score
No, the 21st century began Jan. 1, 2001. Just count to 100, you have to include 100.
Why then was all the hype over Y2K expecting Computers shutdowns on 01/01/2000 didn't people celebrate the start of a new century?? Confusing??? European and American heads of Air Travel flew at midnight to show how safe it was. They didn't fly a year later.

Reaction Score
Interesting! Didn't the 21'st Century begin in 2000 if that is correct didn't the first decade end in 2019?
My father who was born at the end of a year ending in Zero. I never got his age right. Zero's are confusing!!!

The first millennium started in year one, not year zero. It ened at the close of year 1000. Therefore the third millennium started on Jan 1st 2001 and the first century of that millennium started on the same date. It follows that the decades are in sync with the centuries. Our society however likes to use the terms "the tens, the twenties, the thirties to designate ten year periods. But society has been wrong before. There was a time when it was obvious to everyone that the sun revolved around the earth.

Reaction Score
Why then was all the hype over Y2K expecting Computers shutdowns on 01/01/2000 didn't people celebrate the start of a new century?? Confusing??? European and American heads of Air Travel flew at midnight to show how safe it was. They didn't fly a year later.

You are confusing the close of a century with a digital computer problem. I understand the convention of a century ending at the end of year 99, but 10,000 years from now that "ancient" convention will be used by educators to get a chuckle out of their students.

Reaction Score
The first millennium started in year one, not year zero. It ened at the close of year 1000. Therefore the third millennium started on Jan 1st 2001 and the first century of that millennium started on the same date. It follows that the decades are in sync with the centuries. Our society however likes to use the terms "the tens, the twenties, the thirties to designate ten year periods. But society has been wrong before. There was a time when it was obvious to everyone that the sun revolved around the earth.
yep! I was pulling some legs. Actually, as I remember the first millennium Adam had the same problem with Zeros as most do. But his math skill were minimal. No calculators. He couldn't find Zero on his fingers.

Reaction Score

I was born in 1950 and I'm thankful that I can still figure out how old I am. :)

Reaction Score
I was born in 1950 and I'm thankful that I can still figure out how old I am. :)
I know how old you are and you are lucky to be among a small group reaching that age. But in the scheme of things and quoting a figure of history: Does it REALLY Matter?? How did Adam react to year Zero???

MainefanSC

golfnut
Reaction Score
Begin anything on a "0" year facilitates math and longevity memory. I was married in 1970 and I tell people I waited for that "0" year so I could easily do the math, figuring out what anniversary it is.

Reaction Score
You missed the significant point in that to which you are referring. He was born at the END of the year. A cursory look gives you one age for the year but his age is more accurately reflected in the coming year. The Zero's had nothing to do with it. Misdirection.. The easiest question to miss on quiz's relates to Zero's

Reaction Score
I know how old you are and you are lucky to be among a small group reaching that age. But in the scheme of things and quoting a figure of history: Does it REALLY Matter?? How did Adam react to year Zero???

It matters only because there are no decent wcbb games being played today. ;)

Reaction Score
Begin anything on a "0" year facilitates math and longevity memory. I was married in 1970 and I tell people I waited for that "0" year so I could easily do the math, figuring out what anniversary it is.
I never had that problem--I am always told well in advance how many days until------ But SMART move.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom