Player Impact | The Boneyard

Player Impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

I was debating if I should post this and decided to because if I don't you might not realize it. I got a chance to talk to a few football players this weekend - needless to say they are a little discourage because as Diaco says - they do work really hard and expected to have a more successful season.

The reason why I am posting this is they said how much it means to them to have people support them both at home and on the road. I know it's tough watching some of the games this season - but if you are on the fence - this might make the difference so I decided to post it. One of them knew I had to overcome some obstacles to get to a recent game and they really do appreciate that effort which is minor compared to what they do every week.

I know we can all filter things through how we feel about a coach and sometimes we can forget there are kids we are impacting too.

Reaction Score
Nope. Haven't convinced me. I was in the stands the last game against SMU. No chance I'm going through that again against Tulane.

Reaction Score
I will say, that's a good point Chief. Most of us are sick of this, and are apathetic right now.

A good way to instigate change is to hit the decision makers in the wallet, and in the "pride hole" (not buying tix/not showing up). We don't often take into account the feelings of the kids out there playing. They are ancillary, an afterthought when it comes to this, to many.

It's a hard decision to make...even after taking into account the kids. Not showing up may be the only thing we can do, as fans, to instigate change. How do you balance the 2 ? I dont know.

Reaction Score
I was debating if I should post this and decided to because if I don't you might not realize it. I got a chance to talk to a few football players this weekend - needless to say they are a little discourage because as Diaco says - they do work really hard and expected to have a more successful season.

The reason why I am posting this is they said how much it means to them to have people support them both at home and on the road. I know it's tough watching some of the games this season - but if you are on the fence - this might make the difference so I decided to post it. One of them knew I had to overcome some obstacles to get to a recent game and they really do appreciate that effort which is minor compared to what they do every week.

I know we can all filter things through how we feel about a coach and sometimes we can forget there are kids we are impacting too.
I'm with you. Support the players and the team. As a UConn fan you to cling to some small hope that in the last couple of games we see some great things from new starting quarterback. We saw that with Cochran a few years back. Too bad concussions ended his career.

Reaction Score
I can go either way with this.

I go to all the games I can make. Always watch if I can't attend and support the kids.

But the empty seats let the AD know that the coach isn't reaching an acceptable standard and that's acceptable as well (not for me but if that's the statement you want to make, it's legit)

Reaction Score

well as long as we're on that topic, can you imagine how Shirreffs feels in all of this? Fans killing him (despite the fact his production/performance is above the average of UConn QBS post-Orlovsky) and then coach cashiering him to save his job.

Reaction Score
Solid post Chief.

I think we not only forget that our players are still kids/students, but they are Huskies. If I still lived in New England instead of the West Coast I would be attending games (went to the BYU game last year) no matter what. Being an alum, it'd be harder for me to not support my fellow Huskies.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I hope that the players know that the booing they hear at games and negative stuff written here and on social media that they might come across is 99.9999% directed at the coaching staff and general fan/alumni frustrations over the program. I have booed a few times this season in fact - when Diaco decides to punt on 4th and short inside the opponents side of the field and whenever we run a draw play when it's 3rd and long and we're losing.

In fact, I'm convinced that with a better staff in place, we would be in position for a bowl game this year. It's not their fault that our coaches can't get plays in on time, waste timeouts, have the worst offensive system on the planet, direct our guys to play 20 yards of the line of scrimmage, play soft zone coverage, don't return punts at all, run the same QB sneak whenever we do go for it on 4th down, and play sickening conservatively football. To date, I hold the coaches responsible for 2 losses: Navy and Syracuse.

C

Chief00

Thanks for the feedback everyone - I was debating posting this and now I am glad I did. Most posters have their heart in the right place - we may disagree on different things - but we love the college kids.

C

Chief00

Nope. Haven't convinced me. I was in the stands the last game against SMU. No chance I'm going through that again against Tulane.

All I can say I have always back my guys even when they get in trouble - Nate Miles, Clyde Vaughn & Boatright. .

Reaction Score
All I can say I have always back my guys even when they get in trouble - Nate Miles, Clyde Vaughn & Boatright. .

This act of yours is so played out. Keep it on the hoops board where it's at least mildly appreciated by some.

Reaction Score
Does the fans protest even matter? If we have 33000 attendence the next ten games and Diaco goes 0-10. It doesnt change anything. Go to the games

When you go to the games you can tell others to go. Otherwise enjoy the beach down there in FL.

Reaction Score
I will be at the BC game but unfortunately, I will not be at the Tulane game as I will be at the Maui Invitational rooting on our Huskies Men's Basketball team as they capture the tournament Championship. However, all my tickets plus one will be used. If, ever, I can't make a game I always make sure my tickets are used.

It is getting harder to get excited about watching UConn football but I remember when UConn basketball wasn't as it is today. I remember being in the Field House, in the Yankee Conference and the early years of the Big East. We were not almost always, as we are today, in competition for National Championships. It was tough but somehow I knew things would change. And they did! In the early years I got hooked on watching our players develop, the ups an downs, and there were plenty of downs. But I continued to come to games. With football I know, given time, we will be competitive and I'll keep coming year after year to watch our struggles and our ascent to being competitive for National Championships. (This current format for NC in football will change and become more inclusive in time.) As Chief said, it is about the players. They are just kids trying as hard as they can to win a few games. I played football in college and it is really hard work. I recognized and appreciated when the crowds showed up and when they didn't. Nothing like playing in front of a large supportive crowd even when you lose. I've played in front of empty stadiums too. Not very inspiring!! Down right depressing.

I love college sports, not because of the perfection, but more because of the imperfection and unpredictability of college sports. (If I want perfection I look to professional sports.) Thats what makes it fun. I love seeing the growth of players: individual development and team development. I don't watch because it is a testosterone charge for me.

I will continue watching and rooting for UConn in all sports because it is my local school. I'm not going to shot myself in the foot by not supporting it simply because the team is currently not winning. "This too shall change." Have patience! $$it happens!! Times will get better!! The down times only make the good times that much better and more appreciated!!

C

Chief00

I will be at the BC game but unfortunately, I will not be at the Tulane game as I will be at the Maui Invitational rooting on our Huskies Men's Basketball team as they capture the tournament Championship. However, all my tickets plus one will be used. If, ever, I can't make a game I always make sure my tickets are used.

It is getting harder to get excited about watching UConn football but I remember when UConn basketball wasn't as it is today. I remember being in the Field House, in the Yankee Conference and the early years of the Big East. We were not almost always, as we are today, in competition for National Championships. It was tough but somehow I knew things would change. And they did! In the early years I got hooked on watching our players develop, the ups an downs, and there were plenty of downs. But I continued to come to games. With football I know, given time, we will be competitive and I'll keep coming year after year to watch our struggles and our ascent to being competitive for National Championships. (This current format for NC in football will change and become more inclusive in time.) As Chief said, it is about the players. They are just kids trying as hard as they can to win a few games. I played football in college and it is really hard work. I recognized and appreciated when the crowds showed up and when they didn't. Nothing like playing in front of a large supportive crowd even when you lose. I've played in front of empty stadiums too. Not very inspiring!! Down right depressing.

I love college sports, not because of the perfection, but more because of the imperfection and unpredictability of college sports. (If I want perfection I look to professional sports.) Thats what makes it fun. I love seeing the growth of players: individual development and team development. I don't watch because it is a testosterone charge for me.

I will continue watching and rooting for UConn in all sports because it is my local school. I'm not going to shot myself in the foot by not supporting it simply because the team is currently not winning. "This too shall change." Have patience! $$it happens!! Times will get better!! The down times only make the good times that much better and more appreciated!!

Great post

C

Chief00

This act of yours is so played out. Keep it on the hoops board where it's at least mildly appreciated by some.

Got 22 likes on my initial post on this thread and you say I am played out. Look in the mirror my friend.

Reaction Score

Simply a great post!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog