Player for player comparison: 2013 team | The Boneyard

Player for player comparison: 2013 team

Reaction Score
There is a constant debate in all sports, not just this uconn team this year, where a team falls short of expectations and the question is raised: is it the players or the coach?
For arguments sake I will use 5 guys from the last uconn championship team (with 1 composite) to see how the players stack up. How does this team stack up to:
Boat
Bazz
Kromah
Giffey
Deandre
Brimah (with olander, Nolan and facey as frontcourt)

Compared in no order to:
Gaffney
Cole
Jackson
Polley
Martin
Jackson
Sanogo (plus whaley)

Reaction Score
The 2013-14 backcourt is so much better than our current backcourt. And Giffey and Daniels were veteran studs who made winning plays routinely. To compare this roster to that one is kind of crazy. The 2013-14 team was loaded with seasoned upperclassmen who knew how to take care of business, especially Shabazz who simply refused to lose. Add in Boat's D during the Tourney run and it's easy to see how they cut down some nets.

Reaction Score
The 2013-14 backcourt is so much better than our current backcourt. And Giffey and Daniels were veteran studs who made winning plays routinely. To compare this roster to that one is kind of crazy. The 2013-14 team was loaded with seasoned upperclassmen who knew how to take care of business, especially Shabazz who simply refused to lose. Add in Boat's D during the Tourney run and it's easy to see how they cut down some nets.
I agree completely. To all of your comments. The reason I bring it up is because I think we expect uconn level greatness (at least in the back of our minds), but we continue to harp on play calling and in game coaching as the biggest issue. All of the successful teams have had much better players. Very simple.

Reaction Score
I agree completely. To all of your comments. The reason I bring it up is because I think we expect uconn level greatness (at least in the back of our minds), but we continue to harp on play calling and in game coaching as the biggest issue. All of the successful teams have had much better players. Very simple.
Agree agree. This was one of the best backcourts ever to play in the tournament from both sides of the ball. 2 upperclassmen who both littered the record books at Storrs. Get boat in the Ring!!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
Let's answer it this way: without worrying about who would compliment whom, but giving effect to positions, what would my starting lineup be right now if I combined the rosters from 2013-14 and this year? I think not based on pro or future college potential, but simply who was better at the time, it's actually fairly easy:

F -- Daniels
F -- Giffey
C -- Sanogo
G -- Boat
G -- Bazz

Really, none of Martin, Whalley, Jackson or Cole is even close to pushing someone from 2013-14 out. So yes, Hurley has done a good job of upgrading our talent. Although, like KO (some of you will hate the comparison), he has recruited a number of kids who, at least so far, aren't playing up to their recruiting ranking. But is the talent on the roster anywhere near where it was when we won championships? Heck no.

Reaction Score
Agree agree. This was one of the best backcourts ever to play in the tournament from both sides of the ball. 2 upperclassmen who both littered the record books at Storrs. Get boat in the Ring!!!!!!!!
Actually when looked at them on first glance they were easy to underestimate.
everyone did.
Boat was a great athlete with a great handle but only 5’9” tall. Bazz was 6’0 but not an exceptional athlete. He had an iron will and a basketball IQ in the genius range. But you can’t see that until it’s too late. Both had terrific one on one defensive skills. DD wasn’t exceptional athletically but good enough and Griffey was much more athletic then he looked , like I said before an easy group to take lightly.
I believe the key to that team was Brimsh.
Not really a basketball player , awful hands but Cat like defensive instincts honed from playing goal keeper. His one skill enabled the others to extend the floor and get up into the grill of opposing guards .In other words they were a team. All the pieces fit even the guys off the bench.
Seriously only Kromah would get PT on this team. Nolan and TSam wouldn’t make the team but both stepped up when needed.
This year probably has more athletic players but are not close to being a team.
Will they , I’m not sure but I can only hope.

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
It turns out that if you compare this year's team to a team that won a national championship, the championship team has better players. Given that nobody expects this year's team to win a national championship, I suppose that makes sense.

Reaction Score
It turns out that if you compare this year's team to a team that won a national championship, the championship team has better players. Given that nobody expects this year's team to win a national championship, I suppose that makes sense.
Yes. That's ostensibly true. I think the rationale is that too many people are blaming losses on Hurley, as if it is a given that the right players are here right now and they just have to be coached properly. The above comparisons just highlight that maybe this team needs more ability. That '13 team wasn't highly ranked much of the regular season, but we all know we felt way more confident watching them. My most nagging concern is the lack of any floor time for the freshman, save Hawkins. I wonder what we have there.

pj

Reaction Score
Sanogo is superior to Brimah

It's possible Martin and Jackson could mature into the equal of Giffey and Deandre, but not yet

This year's backcourt is far inferior to Boat and Shabazz.

Reaction Score
Turns out if you compare this year‘s team to any UConn team of the last 40 years that had the type of success this board expects out of this year’s team, that other team had much better players.

Somehow this board still expects amazing success out of a roster whose upperclassmen are 2 3 star recruits, 2 mid major transfers, a great recruit who got derailed by a terrible injury, and a 4 star recruit just outside the top hundred who in hindsight was probably a 3 star recruit.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I recognize that the 2013-2014 team is more mature and is lead by arguably one of the best PGs in UConn history. But I still think that our current team 2021-2022 is better on the defensive end. If 2013-2014 played against 2021-2022, who would come out on top for more rebounds and blocked shots? I still think that 2013-2014 would win but not by much

Reaction Score
I recognize that the 2013-2014 team is more mature and is lead by arguably one of the best PGs in UConn history. But I still think that our current team 2021-2022 is better on the defensive end. If 2013-2014 played against 2021-2022, who would come out on top for more rebounds and blocked shots? I still think that 2013-2014 would win but not by much
2013-14 vs 2021-22 team stats

Rebounds:
2013-14 (34.7) vs. 2021-22 (41.8)
Assists:
2013-14 (12.2) vs. 2021-22 (15.4)
Steals:
2013-14 (7.0) vs. 2021-22 (7.4)
Blocks:
2013-14 (5.8) vs. 2021-22 (6.6)
3pt%:
2013-14 (38.7%) vs 2021-22 (35.9%)

*Just keep in mind 2013-14 are the year end averages

Who do you think would win in a game?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
2013-14 vs 2021-22 team stats

Rebounds:
2013-14 (34.7) vs. 2021-22 (41.8)
Assists:
2013-14 (12.2) vs. 2021-22 (15.4)
Steals:
2013-14 (7.0) vs. 2021-22 (7.4)
Blocks:
2013-14 (5.8) vs. 2021-22 (6.6)
3pt%:
2013-14 (38.7%) vs 2021-22 (35.9%)

*Just keep in mind 2013-14 are the year end averages

Who do you think would win in a game?
Thanks for the stats. That's interesting. Looks good on paper for sure. I still say that '13 wins, especially for the one huge reason that doesn't show up on the stat sheet: they had a closer. A few of them actually. I think the current team still is way more flawed, in the backcourt too, but their biggest issue has been closing out games.

Reaction Score
Let's answer it this way: without worrying about who would compliment whom, but giving effect to positions, what would my starting lineup be right now if I combined the rosters from 2013-14 and this year? I think not based on pro or future college potential, but simply who was better at the time, it's actually fairly easy:

F -- Daniels
F -- Giffey
C -- Sanogo
G -- Boat
G -- Bazz

Really, none of Martin, Whalley, Jackson or Cole is even close to pushing someone from 2013-14 out. So yes, Hurley has done a good job of upgrading our talent. Although, like KO (some of you will hate the comparison), he has recruited a number of kids who, at least so far, aren't playing up to their recruiting ranking. But is the talent on the roster anywhere near where it was when we won championships? Heck no.

Whaley could edge out Nolan and Martin could displace Tolksdorf.

Reaction Score
thank you for putting our true talent level into perspective....sanogo is the only guy on this squad who could have started in 2014.

bazz and boat would dribble circles around cole/aj/martin. giffey and daniels would wipe the floor w/ polley/akok/whaley.

even with those great players we only managed a 7 seed which is right around what we should get this year.

expectations are just not lining up w/ reality around here once again

Reaction Score
then there shouldnt be a meltdown every time we lose to a top 25 team by single digits

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Only the backcourt is “much better”. But that much better in this case is measured in light years.

Let’s put it this way. If you could put Bazz and Boat on both teams at the same time and have the rest of the rosters be the same, I would actually take this years team. Without a 2nd Thought.

Guard play and especially guard depth is our albatross this year.

Reaction Score
Only the backcourt is “much better”. But that much better in this case is measured in light years.

Let’s put it this way. If you could put Bazz and Boat on both teams at the same time and have the rest of the rosters be the same, I would actually take this years team. Without a 2nd Thought.

Guard play and especially guard depth is our albatross this year.
Sr. Griffey and Jr. Daniels are much better basketball players than Jackson, Whaley and Martin.

Reaction Score
Guard play is beyond critical in CBB, and we just don’t have the quality needed to meet this board’s expectations… yet.
I think our backcourt could have been much better if Rasool Diggins wasn't held back to play way more minutes. He was supposed to an immediate impact player. Instead we have a serious lack of depth at pointguard where mostly R.J. Cole can help us. But, when Cole gets into foul trouble....we are in trouble..

Reaction Score
I think our backcourt could have been much better if Rasool Diggins wasn't held back to play way more minutes.
Head Slap GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Reaction Score
Alright...all I see is your image of that guy rubbing his eyes. Can you clarify that?

My point is it would've helped greatly if Diggins backed up Cole. I think the 2013-14 backcourt with Bazz and Boatright would've still been better though.

Reaction Score
I think our backcourt could have been much better if Rasool Diggins wasn't held back to play way more minutes. He was supposed to an immediate impact player. Instead we have a serious lack of depth at pointguard where mostly R.J. Cole can help us. But, when Cole gets into foul trouble....we are in trouble..
This has been repeated a lot this season, but there was absolutely no one saying that on this forum in the preseason. This is a recently fabricated myth.

Reaction Score
This has been repeated a lot this season, but there was absolutely no one saying that on this forum in the preseason. This is a recently fabricated myth.
the board was unanimously overjoyed that we landed him over nova. while we assumed he would be a 4 year player, we also thought he could become the best PG left in his class by the time he was a junior. but for him to do that he'd probably need be contributing something as a frosh.

there's a lot of middle ground between immediate impact and no impact. a solid ~8 mpg as the backup PG could still be considered immediate impact. that wasn't an unrealistic expectation or fabricated myth and it's really all this team needs.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom