Player Development | The Boneyard

Player Development

Reaction Score
I was talking to a colleague about player development and how much it's been at the core of UConn's identity, historically.

From a player development standpoint,
who's the 1 player that you feel has benefitted the most from coming to UConn from each decade?

80's -
90's -
00's -
10's -
20's -

Reaction Score
I was talking to a colleague about player development and how much it's been at the core of UConn's identity, historically.

who's the 1 player that you feel has benefitted the most from coming to UConn from each decade?

80's -
90's -
00's -
10's -
20's -
I am a bit younger, so I’m not going to try to speak to the ones I don‘t know as much about. But this is what I think.
10’s- Kemba (obviously)
20’s- Castle
I could see the argument for Clingan, and he is probably the right answer here. But it is pretty impressive to be a one-and-done lottery pick here in Storrs, so I thought Stephon was a great option

Reaction Score
With the current coaching staff just list every player. Newton became an All American so he would likely be #1. Cliff Robinson benefitted from Calhoun's coaching and went on to have a long NBA career. So many players for Calhoun, the list is endless. Caron Butler benefitted in many ways from JC.

Reaction Score
Niels Giffey is the guy that comes to mind first. Calhoun pulled him out of thin air, and he turned into an Olympian.

Hilton Armstrong #2

Donny Marshall

Albert Mouring

Souleymane Wane
Phillip Nolan
Tyler Olander

3 guys that when they arrived had no business getting on the court at this level, all went on to be major pieces of championship teams

Reaction Score
Being able to develop players who aren’t in the rotation is so hard but I think we’ve mostly managed to do a good job of it (example: Samson)

Players develop best by playing in games. It will be very interesting to see the development of someone like Ross who was not in the rotation this past season. Sitting on the bench for the whole season is a confidence destroyer.

Stewart and Ball got enough of a taste of playing in real games that I’m sure they will be more than fine.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Armstrong is obviously the big one for the 2010s

Kemba’s development was amazing as well. Came in with so much to improve and was almost a perfect player by the time he left.

Lamb was all potential when he came in with little confidence who played off Kemba and left as one of the most effortless scorers in the country by the time he left.

Bazz was also a completely different player senior year and a very complete player

Think Whaley is the main guy from the 2020s who looked like a completely different player (and not necessarily just had a larger role).

Reaction Score
Off the top of my head I'd say Hilton, Gavin, and Amida.

Hilton was an afterthought recruit who became a monster.
Gavin was, I think a "2 star" recruit who was openly criticized. I think his own coach said he didn't think he could be a Big East player.
Amida was pure rawness and played in the NBA.

I'm sure there's others but those three jump out to me...

Reaction Score
The defensive improvement for-
Hawk,
Newt,
Cam,
Joey C
and
AK
In one year...pretty hard to beat.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score

80's -
90's -
00's -
10's -
20's -
Going in reverse order,
20s - Tristen Newton
10s - DeAndre Daniels
00s- Josh Boone
90s - Jake Voshkul
80s - Cliff Robinson

RE: the 10s -- I wanted to say Caron, who was inarguably a better finished product but he also came in with a better game than Josh, who went from being a tall guy to a very skilled tall guy.

Reaction Score
Off the top of my head I'd say Hilton, Gavin, and Amida.

Hilton was an afterthought recruit who became a monster.
Gavin was, I think a "2 star" recruit who was openly criticized. I think his own coach said he didn't think he could be a Big East player.
Amida was pure rawness and played in the NBA.

I'm sure there's others but those three jump out to me...
I’ve got to disagree about Brimah. I really don’t think he developed that much during his time here. Nice kid though.

Reaction Score
It’s not really that surprising for 5* burger boys to turn out to be good tho, is it?

What about Tristen Newton? Hilton Armstrong?
That's my thinking also. Best examples are guys like Hilton who came in not highly ranked and exited as great players and/or NBA guys. Guys like Kemba ended up great but they also came in as highly ranked recruits for a reason.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Okafor clearly had unrecognized potential, but he came to Storrs barely cracking the top 100 HS recruits, and left as number 2 in the NBA draft.

I think as soon as he walked onto the practice court, the staff he knew he was awesome. They certainly helped him develop, particularly on offense, but the recruiting sites had criminally underrated him. So he went from 8-10, whereas Hilton went from 2-7.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom