Played D | The Boneyard

Played D

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
On the FT thing: without Jalen and AG, even more of the FTs will come from bigs. Bigs dont hit FTs. So I'm not shocked the team stinks at FTs.

Reaction Score
Except for around the three point line. Houston great at making the extra pass, and our second rotations were not great. Played hard though.
It was clockwork. Cobb loses his man, if someone helps, their man is open on the perimeter, and if they don’t then Cobb gives up 2. His defense was absolutely horrible. But it is what it is at this point in his career.

Reaction Score
Except for around the three point line. Houston great at making the extra pass, and our second rotations were not great. Played hard though.

3 pt line I can handle a little but the numerous dunks because of a wide open guy due to our bigs and others hedging too long or people not rotating to help is unacceptable. One maybe 2 but they had a blast down there. Houston shot it well from the 3 it happens but yeah, need to rotate better in all aspects of the defense. I guess the main thing which DH has instilled despite my complaining about this is they just don’t quit. Instead of the 30 point losses of last year we have a shorthanded team making games of it because they’re working so damn hard. Huge kudos to the kids and staff for that.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
3 pt line I can handle a little but the numerous dunks because of a wide open guy due to our bigs and others hedging too long or people not rotating to help is unacceptable. One maybe 2 but they had a blast down there. Houston shot it well from the 3 it happens but yeah, need to rotate better in all aspects of the defense. I guess the main thing which Dan Hurley has instilled despite my complaining about this is they just don’t quit. Instead of the 30 point losses of last year we have a shorthanded team making games of it because they’re working so damn hard. Huge kudos to the kids and staff for that.
Too many back door and pick and rolls which resulted in the embarrassing slam duck. Agreed Mau.

Reaction Score
It was clockwork. Cobb loses his man, if someone helps, their man is open on the perimeter, and if they don’t then Cobb gives up 2. His defense was absolutely horrible. But it is what it is at this point in his career.

Spot on horrible. He's clueless for some reason it's too bad because other than that he's a nice piece for the team, but it's a huge frustration. And to top it off both he and Carlton when beaten don't have their arms up they could still deflect passes knowing where they left their man but instead arms to the side. Brimah did the same thing I am sure the coaches let them know but for some reason they let passes fly by their bodies and faces within reach. You're beat try to deflect the pass at least.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
None of our bigs are good at Defense as a whole. It's by far and away the largest problem in giving up threes.

Put someone like Thabeet or Mek back there, allow our guards to stay up in everyone's grill, and watch the difference.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
None of our bigs are good at Defense as a whole. It's by far and away the largest problem in giving up threes.

Put someone like Thabeet or Mek back there, allow our guards to stay up in everyone's grill, and watch the difference.
Well, I disagree to an extent. Yes, having a dominant shot blocker in the paint would be awesome. But from what I've seen the biggest reason our defense breaks down is that our guards do at times get beat or out of position on the perimeter, as Jarreau did in the second half last night. Then the bigs don't close down the drive while simultaneously being aware of the passing lane, and nobody rotates down. They're a step late seeing the penetration, and then give up the passing lane or the path to the bucket in their haste.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Well, I disagree to an extent. Yes, having a dominant shot blocker in the paint would be awesome. But from what I've seen the biggest reason our defense breaks down is that our guards do at times get beat or out of position on the perimeter, as Jarreau did in the second half last night. Then the bigs don't close down the drive while simultaneously being aware of the passing lane, and nobody rotates down. They're a step late seeing the penetration, and then give up the passing lane or the path to the bucket in their haste.

Without a doubt. I'm not saying we'd be perfect, just that it would look significantly better. Our guards have limitations, to be sure, but approach changes entirely when you know you have a big who can properly defend penetration. It changes how you play, and makes everyone look better.

We're limited physically at all positions. And some of getting beat on the perimeter is due to having inferior athletes. Then we have inferior athletes in the post as well. This is before we take into account talent level, basketball savvy, and experience.

Reaction Score
What drives me nuts is when one of our bigs dribble close to or under the basket and wind up having the ball stolen. Please for heaven sake bigs do not dribble the ball in traffic. Do not bring the ball down.

Reaction Score
Hurley took Carlton out and went with Cobb for a while after Carlton had an easy dunk and he instead blew a weak layup and tipin. Hurley has made a point of making feeding the ball to Josh a big part of the offense and Josh has been much more aggressive but he still reverts to going up weak a lot of the time as it's his natural inclination. Hurley likes him and thinks he's going to be really good, sitting him right after that was a message.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Hurley took Carlton out and went with Cobb for a while after Carlton had an easy dunk and he instead blew a weak layup and tipin. Hurley has made a point of making feeding the ball to Josh a big part of the offense and Josh has been much more aggressive but he still reverts to going up weak a lot of the time as it's his natural inclination. Hurley likes him and thinks he's going to be really good, sitting him right after that was a message.

And even when he manages to go up hard, he doesn't have any elevation. Nothing to be done about that.

Hurley's made him a part of the offense, because really, what choice do we have? We have such limited options as it is, it's tough to pick and choose.

Reaction Score
On the FT thing: without Jalen and AG, even more of the FTs will come from bigs. Bigs dont hit FTs. So I'm not shocked the team stinks at FTs.
I hate that bigs don’t hit free throws. There is no reason a big can’t practice free throws and learn how to make them consistently.

Reaction Score
What did Houston shoot? 48%? 49%? Not so good defense. They played hard but not especially well.

C

Chief00

3 pt line I can handle a little but the numerous dunks because of a wide open guy due to our bigs and others hedging too long or people not rotating to help is unacceptable. One maybe 2 but they had a blast down there. Houston shot it well from the 3 it happens but yeah, need to rotate better in all aspects of the defense. I guess the main thing which Dan Hurley has instilled despite my complaining about this is they just don’t quit. Instead of the 30 point losses of last year we have a shorthanded team making games of it because they’re working so damn hard. Huge kudos to the kids and staff for that.
There were games Calhoun would just say screw it and just fight through everything. I wish we would try that occasionally.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom