Reaction Score
Words To Live By
Through the years,
Huskies have embodied Auriemma's credo
Play hard. Play smart. Have fun.

By Carl Adamec
cadamec@journalinquirer.com Nov 7, 2019

1573149966058.png

STORRS — It started with six words. Never have six words spoken so loudly.

Geno Auriemma will coach his 1,202nd game with the UConn women’s basketball team Sunday when the fifth-ranked Huskies host California in their regular season opener at Gampel Pavilion. For the 1,202nd time, the six words will be written on the board:

“It’s a mantra,” former UConn point guard Sue Bird said. “You don't even have to say those words and you can ask a Connecticut player, ‘What does Coach Auriemma say? What’s the last thing Coach Auriemma tells you before you go on the court? What’s on almost every t-shirt that they give you?’ It’s 'Play hard, play smart, have fun.’

“It’s pretty self-explanatory. But the difference for a lot of programs, a lot of players, is sometimes they can be just words. He lives by it. He holds you accountable.”
_______________________________________​

Nice article about Coach. There's much more HERE

Last edited:

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
The most important paragraph in the article is the last one, quoting Sue Bird. That is the first time I've ever heard a hypothetical about herself as a coach escape her lips in public. Maybe the idea is growing on her.

Reaction Score
The most important paragraph in the article is the last one, quoting Sue Bird. That is the first time I've ever heard a hypothetical about herself as a coach escape her lips in public. Maybe the idea is growing on her.

As soon as I read that statement in the article, I wondered how long it would be before someone on the BY commented about it. Thanks for confirming my faith in the Boneyard. ;)

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Carl is a great writer. Always enjoy his articles. And excellent quotes from the players. Sue and Dee could practically talk about the weather, and it would be interesting. Same goes for Geno. They are all icons in their fields. GOAT's... (Geno greatest coach, Sue greatest PG, Dee greatest all around player)...

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Breanna Stewart became the 11th player to win NCAA and WNBA titles and FIBA World Cup and Olympic gold medals. Seven of those 11 — Bird, Stewart, Diana Taurasi, Maya Moore, Swin Cash, Asjha Jones, and Kara Wolters — are former Huskies.

:D

Reaction Score
Breanna Stewart became the 11th player to win NCAA and WNBA titles and FIBA World Cup and Olympic gold medals. Seven of those 11 — Bird, Stewart, Diana Taurasi, Maya Moore, Swin Cash, Asjha Jones, and Kara Wolters — are former Huskies.

:D
What a great fact!!!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
No need to put up a new mantra if Sue comes to coach. :D

Reaction Score
No need to put up a new mantra if Sue comes to coach. :D
She would be smart to replace the replacement. It's bad news to replace an Icon (there simply isn't an icon like Geno to compare to) too many make emotionally charged comparisons. When the replacement goes and is beaten up with comparisons the SUE will be a cool summer breeze and not a Geno Replacement.
Case in point? Holly! She was bad but worse in Pat's shadow

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom