Play calling vs Fresno | The Boneyard

Play calling vs Fresno

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
After the first 5 weeks and first 2 possessions yesterday of doing nothing down field, the staff FINALLY decided to let Zion start looking down field and using his legs.

First few deep passes were ugly, but then he got into a rhythm. He looked like a totally different player when he was allowed to scramble too. Confident and got on a roll.

Look, I get why we were conservative the past 2 games to just protect our players and prevent any more injuries. And he probably wasn’t ready to let it rip against Syracuse.

While there are still growing pains ahead, I finally enjoyed watching our offense yesterday for the first time since Lashlee was here.

And love that they found this Jolly kid. We have to have more athletes on the team like him who can have a chance to step up and make our offense more dynamic the final 6 games.

Let’s hope this was the confidence boost Zion (and the coaching staff) needed to take off the training wheels and let the kid ball out!

Reaction Score
Turner is showing why he was recruited finally. Charlton is spreading his legs on the play calling. We still seem pretty stacked at WR even with all the injuries.

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
Had some family and friends up from South Florida over the past 5 days. They know well of Zion Turner. They were surprised it took this long for his talent to start to show. I'm hoping they're right and we have just been a bit impatient. The coming games should give him a chance to prove all his doubters wrong. Really hope he does.

Reaction Score
Had some family and friends up from South Florida over the past 5 days. They know well of Zion Turner. They were surprised it took this long for his talent to start to show. I'm hoping they're right and we have just been a bit impatient. The coming games should give him a chance to prove all his doubters wrong. Really hope he does.
He was a big name in Florida. My friend from Tampa knew well of Zion, especially during his junior year, and was shocked to find out he wasn't at a P5. Most football people in Florida at least had heard of him if not seen him play.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I think it them not throwing vertical is less of not letting Zion Turner throw down field vs. the receivers not getting separation.

The first ball down field was a trick play, snapped to the back up QB and wound up in the starter's hands on a double reverse. Clercius was actually pretty well covered on the chunk play in the 4th as well. If not for being underthrown, it is probably not a catch (The "reverse" ball was underthrown, for that matter.).

Reaction Score
Best play calls of the game:

✂️ Amazing play call by Charlton. Probably his best at UConn.
Cale Millen takes the snap with Zion hiding away in the backfield. Hands to ATurner who hands to Zion. This left Turner as a wide-open first down option if Clercius was covered downfield. Amazing play.

Now check this out!
✂️ Great play designed for Aaron Tuner...
1664830415256.png

Fresno is lined up with five men on the bottom side of the screen because of UConn's packing in that area. Aaron Turner lines up at RB while Clercius sets up for a block to buy AT some time. Jake Flynn takes a route at and around the Fresno DB, he carries two men with him. In the meantime, AT runs through open space, and is left wide open for a short pass from Zion. A little shiftiness... and Aaron is in the endzone! Touchdown for Connecticut.

Reaction Score
Turner is showing why he was recruited finally. Charlton is spreading his legs on the play calling. We still seem pretty stacked at WR even with all the injuries.
Not to be a smart guy, but what the heck wide receiver roster are you looking at?

Reaction Score
Yeah this WR roster is not stacked by any means, there's a reason it took until now for us to get some deep passing going. Aaron Turner and Kevens Clercius being the best receiving options isn't stacked, but it's acceptable considering the injuries. I'm disappointed that Dajon Harrison hasn't been performing as expected.

Reaction Score
The Turner to Turner touchdown was exactly the same play Charlton used on the first third down of the first drive. Aaron Turner was wide open both times. On the first drive Zion threw an uncatchable ball into the turf.

Mora said on numerous occasions that the Huskies had a deep and talented WR room. Yet we ignored our WRs for the first few games. On Saturday the announcing crew thought Zion had open wide receivers but either didn't look at them or choose not to throw them the ball. When he finally did, it paid off.

It was nice to see Zion getting his legs under him. Now, it's time to back it up. He will be under a lot of scrutiny coming home to southern Florida. It's a big opportunity.

Reaction Score
One thing I noticed was they had 6 offensive linemen on the field a lot more than usual. On both run and pass plays. This helped qith the ability to throw the ball downfield.

1. That may have explained why I didn't notice our RT being overrun.
2. We have so few skilled position players left that we play with a lot of multiple TEs who are never used as receivers and are just undersized blockers. So why not let an OL take some snaps for one of them.

Reaction Score
Looks like we've finally got a receiving TE in Joly, though. I like the extra OL man instead of the block-only TEs.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom