Plan B | The Boneyard

Plan B

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

There is a great deal of pressure coming from Fox and the Big East to join that conference if the Big 12 doesn't select us. The factors are:
1) Fox has paid $500m for Big East and ratings need to be higher. How that offsets with Fox needing East Coast time zone content for the Big 12 - I don't know which carries more weigh with Fox.
2) Big East is concerned about MSG - other conferences will be there for tournaments and with St Johns not reviving yet under Mullins - there is concerned about attendance which of course UConn would offset with their great MSG fan base . Other conferences could get better slots.
3) UConn might be able to make more money in Big East vs Big 12 - at least prior to 2024 and two to three times what they make in AAC. They could book more SNY money as well.

C

Chief00

Is your inside source posts on this board from like two weeks ago?
Quite frankly, the thing I did not really understand a couple weeks ago was how fearful the Big East is on other conferences intruding on the preferable time slots at MSG and the confirmation that Fox is really pushing this.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Financially, the Big East is not a windfall.

When you factor in the bowl payouts, NCAA retained earnings, previous exit fees, etc., there's not much chance that UConn would make significantly more in the Big East versus the American, let alone the Big 12.

My biggest fear from the networks on expansion....

Fox may see our exclusion from the Big 12 as a potential benefit for their Big East investment.

ESPN's AAC becomes a waste land from November through March without UConn.

C

Chief00

Financially, the Big East is not a windfall.

When you factor in the bowl payouts, NCAA retained earnings, previous exit fees, etc., there's not much chance that UConn would make significantly more in the Big East versus the American, let alone the Big 12.

My biggest fear from the networks on expansion....

Fox may see our exclusion from the Big 12 as a potential benefit for their Big East investment.

ESPN's AAC becomes a waste land from November through March without UConn.
I couldn't agree more about your fear - Fox has $500 million invested in the Big East and poor TV ratings thus far to show for it. Now with Nova winning the NC and combining with UConn joining - that is something they could market - and their tournament would have a buzz again.

Reaction Score
That concerns me too but that pressure can be part of our presentation. If we are wanted back in the Big East, let's show the B12 why as part of the presentation. Tranghese has to have his finger on the pulse of that dynamic and if he works for us and not FOX, he can help us confront it in the presentation.

The B12 needs to see our data alongside any undercurrent there is to keep us in the American or pull us into the Big East. We need to show them the facts and say, "Can you see why the two networks involved are doing whatever they can to keep us out of the B12? Don't be fooled."

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
That concerns me too but that pressure can be part of our presentation. If we are wanted back in the Big East, let's show the B12 why as part of the presentation. Tranghese has to have his finger on the pulse of that dynamic and if he works for us and not FOX, he can help us confront it in the presentation.

The B12 needs to see our data alongside any undercurrent there is to keep us in the American or pull us into the Big East. We need to show them the facts and say, "Can you see why the two networks involved are doing whatever they can to keep us out of the B12? Don't be fooled."
What exactly can the networks do to keep us out of the Big 12? How can that help the Big 12 in deciding to choose us? Not at all doubting your logic and points which are valid from our standpoint. Just wondering how that can dovetail with the Big 12's best interests?

Reaction Score
What exactly can the networks do to keep us out of the Big 12? How can that help the Big 12 in deciding to choose us? Not at all doubting your logic and points which are valid from our standpoint. Just wondering how that can dovetail with the Big 12's best interests?

I believe ESPN tries to undermine our value in an effort to keep us in the American and pull the conference along. The ROI on the AAC is through the roof. If FOX prefers to get us into the Big East to pull up ratings for that conference (that they have invested massively in), they too will discourage the B12 from adding us. The narrative is that "football drives the bus and UConn sucks at football, no value, pick someone else." It is underhanded but it's been effective.

Reaction Score
I believe ESPN tries to undermine our value in an effort to keep us in the American and pull the conference along. The ROI on the AAC is through the roof. If FOX prefers to get us into the Big East to pull up ratings for that conference (that they have invested massively in), they too will discourage the B12 from adding us. The narrative is that "football drives the bus and UConn sucks at football, no value, pick someone else." It is underhanded but it's been effective.

In my opinion you hit the nailed squarely on the head. I've been saying the same thing all along.

Again, its all about ESPN making money. The Big East turned down $11million per team per year so ESPN conspired with the ACC to tear the conference apart rather than pay an increased fee to each school of around $20-$22 million which is what the Big East was angling to get and believed its value to be relative to other conferences. Thats why many schools felt comfortable in turning down the ESPN proposal because they knew they would be able to leave the Big East and get $17+ million in the ACC. Shortly after the Big East turned down the ESPN offer the ACC began its second round of raids.

ESPN believes it has a locked in market in Connecticut and the Northeast simply because they are located in Bristol. We, and now the AAC, are the best bargain in college sports. High profitability-low cost. The ROI is out of sight and that's the way they want to keep it. ESPN has done UConn no favors.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
In my opinion you hit the nailed squarely on the head. I've been saying the same thing all along.

Again, its all about ESPN making money. The Big East turned down $11million per team per year so ESPN conspired with the ACC to tear the conference apart rather than pay an increased fee to each school of around $20-$22 million which is what the Big East was angling to get and believed its value to be relative to other conferences. Thats why many schools felt comfortable in turning down the ESPN proposal because they knew they would be able to leave the Big East and get $17+ million in the ACC. Shortly after the Big East turned down the ESPN offer the ACC began its second round of raids.

ESPN believes it has a locked in market in Connecticut and the Northeast simply because they are located in Bristol. We, and now the AAC, are the best bargain in college sports. High profitability-low cost. The ROI is out of sight and that's the way they want to keep it. ESPN has done UConn no favors.
Thanks Hoopbound and UconnFranklin for the posts. The point still needs to be made by UConn to the Big 12 or (B1G for that matter) of why they are the best product, financial
as well as prestige, academics and future VS. other would be suitors. I guess it doesn't hurt to point out why our efforts may have been undermined by outside interests if that is considered germane to presenting how good a candidate we may be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom