Pittsburgh Series | The Boneyard

Pittsburgh Series

Status
Not open for further replies.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Making the thread early in an effort to forget the loss yesterday.

Pitt is 13-12 and 2-4 in the Big East. They were swept by ND who is 4-2 in the Big East after dropping 2 out of 3 to a good USF team. Pitt took 2 out of 3 from Cincinnati who is 1-5 in the Big East after getting swept by a very good Ville team.

OOC, Pitt has some bad losses. They went 1-3 in the Big 10 challenge, only took 2 out of 3 from Wofford who is now 10-19, lost to 10-17 Akron. Pitt's 13-12 record is also inflated by a 3 game sweep of a bad Hartford team.

This is not to say that we don't have bad losses or that our record is terribly impressive. However, given the above information it seems that Pitt is going to find themselves on the bottom half of the Big East this year. They were picked to finish 8th by the coaches coming into the season so that seems pretty accurate.

This is the type of series that we need to at least take 2 out of 3 in. Fischer and Marzi should realistically be able to get us 2 wins. Hopefully whatever young arm we throw on Saturday (Tabakman? Dettman?) can be good enough to give us a shot at a W.

Reaction Score
Making the thread early in an effort to forget the loss yesterday.

Pitt is 13-12 and 2-4 in the Big East. They were swept by ND who is 4-2 in the Big East after dropping 2 out of 3 to a good USF team. Pitt took 2 out of 3 from Cincinnati who is 1-5 in the Big East after getting swept by a very good Ville team.

OOC, Pitt has some bad losses. They went 1-3 in the Big 10 challenge, only took 2 out of 3 from Wofford who is now 10-19, lost to 10-17 Akron. Pitt's 13-12 record is also inflated by a 3 game sweep of a bad Hartford team.

This is not to say that we don't have bad losses or that our record is terribly impressive. However, given the above information it seems that Pitt is going to find themselves on the bottom half of the Big East this year. They were picked to finish 8th by the coaches coming into the season so that seems pretty accurate.

This is the type of series that we need to at least take 2 out of 3 in. Fischer and Marzi should realistically be able to get us 2 wins. Hopefully whatever young arm we throw on Saturday (Tabakman? Dettman?) can be good enough to give us a shot at a W.

Given that Dettman threw six innings on Monday, I would expect Tabakman to be throwing on Saturday (unless they come back with Ward on 4 days rest because he didn't make it out of the 2nd).

mets1090

Reaction Score
I couldn't remember which started Monday and I was running low on time in class after looking through Pitt's schedule so I couldn't check. It'll almost definitely be Tabakman.

Reaction Score
I'll keep this short and sweet.

We need 2 wins in this series, if we get 1 win, ok but really need to wake up and practice long and hard.

Reaction Score
This weekend is a very big series. We can not afford to come out of it with 0 or 1 win. We are currently 15 - 13. From past history ( last 3 years) BE teams need to get around 35 regular season wins to have a good shot as an at large team. We have 27 games left so we need to go 20 - 7, to get to 35. We have 6 non conference games. We probably need to sweep them. That leave us having to go 14 - 7 in the rest of the BE schedule. Basically have to average winning 2 of 3 for each series. The BE is a little down this year ( but so are we), so our RPI is not going to be exceptional. Not saying it is going to be easy or even predicting that we will accomplish this. But I feel this is what we need to do to have a chance at an NCAA at large bid. I obviously know that winning the BE tourney gets you in and it also would help if we don't win to have a good showing in tourney. If we can sneak into the tournament, I would consider it a very successful season. Anything after that is gravy

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
win all 3 this weekend! f spitt.

Reaction Score
Send the traitors home w/ the same broom we gave West Virginia as a BE parting gift!

mets1090

Reaction Score
Game time!

Ferriter singles, Fuller triples. 1-0 Good guys.

First time I saw Penders move Fuller into the 2 spot I knew I liked it.

Mazz doubles. 2-0. Testani up with no outs. Would love to pile it on here

mets1090

Reaction Score
Fischer will be taking the mound in the bottom of the 1st, as expected.

mets1090

Reaction Score
Pitt's pitcher (Matt Iannazzo of Norwalk) had a 3.76 ERA as a Sophomore and a 2.73 ERA as a Junior. Not sure how his Senior campaign is going thus far though.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Pitt's pitcher (Matt Iannazzo of Norwalk) had a 3.76 ERA as a Sophomore and a 2.73 ERA as a Junior. Not sure how his Senior campaign is going thus far though.
grew up playing with him a bit. great kid and always had a gun, he was a small kid that was always better than averyone else. hes a good player but not uconn/lville good.

mets1090

Reaction Score
4-1 bottom 7. Fischer still on the hill

mets1090

Reaction Score
Fischer got into what should have been a bases loaded no out jam but was 2nd and 3rd no outs with a run scoring on an error by Yavarone. Feehan came in and retired the first 3 batters to keep the score 4-2. Final line for Fischer is 6.0+ IP, 2r, 1er, 7k, 8h, 1bb

mets1090

Reaction Score
Moore with a big 2 run hit to make it 7-2.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Pitt has beaten Coastal Carolina and Michigan. They are not too terrible. Two wins this weekend would be satisfying.

8-2!

mets1090

Reaction Score
Good win. Gotta come back and do it again tomorrow.

Reaction Score
I think Marzi throwing out of the #2 hole at the moment is, on paper, our strongest part of the weekend. Be interesting whether he starts Ward or Tabakman on Saturday, both of whom pitched two innings on Tuesday.

While a win is a win is a win, still too many errors, still too many GIDPs and still to many failures to move runners where outs can score runs. I'm beginning to think this team has more talent than I gave it credit for coming into the year, and if they can correct the fundamentals might still have a chance to win the Big East. But the team has to become more fundamentally sound quickly.

Reaction Score
I think Marzi throwing out of the #2 hole at the moment is, on paper, our strongest part of the weekend. Be interesting whether he starts Ward or Tabakman on Saturday, both of whom pitched two innings on Tuesday.

While a win is a win is a win, still too many errors, still too many GIDPs and still to many failures to move runners where outs can score runs. I'm beginning to think this team has more talent than I gave it credit for coming into the year, and if they can correct the fundamentals might still have a chance to win the Big East. But the team has to become more fundamentally sound quickly.
Ward will not be pitching this weekend per radio announcers yesterday. still nursing tired arm. Hope he comes back, he would be a big loss.

mets1090

Reaction Score

Couldn't agree more. I think we're starting to see some pretty good improvement all around but it's not there for 9 innings. If they can pull it all together within the next month I think they have enough talent to make a run in the Big East Tournament.

mets1090

Reaction Score
Pavone just went down on the third base line trying to score from 2nd on a single. Announcers saying he's grabbing his hamstring. Hopefully it's not the ACL and if it's the hamstring hopefully it's not torn. They say he looks like he's in a lot of pain and can barely put any weight on that leg.

mets1090

Reaction Score
Freshman DeBellis will do the rest of the catching today. Let's see if this affects Tabakman who is having a great day on the mound.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom