Pittsburgh @ Clemson - 1/26/21 | The Boneyard

Pittsburgh @ Clemson - 1/26/21

Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction Score
This is further proof to @Plebe's point about the ACC this season.

Clemson beats Syracuse then loses to Pitt. Every game seems to be a toss up and both Louisville and NC State have had their battles to win games too.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
This is further proof to @Plebe's point about the ACC this season.

Clemson beats Syracuse then loses to Pitt. Every game seems to be a toss up and both Louisville and NC State have had their battles to win games too.
The entire ACC, save for the top 2, is a low-grade dumpster fire.

People give WAY too much deference to conferences like the ACC, and it's really just based on superficial reputation and name brand. When you look under the hood there's a whole lot of gunk and not a lot of spunk.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
The entire ACC, save for the top 2, is a low-grade dumpster fire.

People give WAY too much deference to conferences like the ACC, and it's really just based on superficial reputation and name brand. When you look under the hood there's a whole lot of gunk and not a lot of spunk.
For a lot of the teams in the ACC this year, they have Jekyll-and-Hyde personalities. Clemson is almost unbeatable when it is sinking shots from long range (same can be said for Syracuse)...but if they have off nights on the perimeter, they are fairly pedestrian. I've already documented in another thread that Virginia Tech's 7 conference losses are by 6, 10, 4, 2, 3, 5 and 2 points; the Hokies have played almost everybody they've faced tough. Still...teams need to bring their A games each time out because you can be beaten on any given day. That is not the case for many of the non-power 5 leagues.

I would love to have UCONN women in the ACC. Would be more of a weekly grind for them, they'd be more tested at the end of a season and it would benefit them...and they would find out that even in a down year, the ACC is a grind. Of course, in a normal year, UCONN usually does play many of the top teams out-of-conference since regardless of their conference affiliation, they are not tested regularly in their own league.

Plebe

Reaction Score
For a lot of the teams in the ACC this year, they have Jekyll-and-Hyde personalities. Clemson is almost unbeatable when it is sinking shots from long range (same can be said for Syracuse)...but if they have off nights on the perimeter, they are fairly pedestrian. I've already documented in another thread that Virginia Tech's 7 conference losses are by 6, 10, 4, 2, 3, 5 and 2 points; the Hokies have played almost everybody they've faced tough. Still...teams need to bring their A games each time out because you can be beaten on any given day. That is not the case for many of the non-power 5 leagues.

I would love to have UCONN women in the ACC. Would be more of a weekly grind for them, they'd be more tested at the end of a season and it would benefit them...and they would find out that even in a down year, the ACC is a grind. Of course, in a normal year, UCONN usually does play many of the top teams out-of-conference since regardless of their conference affiliation, they are not tested regularly in their own league.
People from the power 5 conferences love to spout this cliché "have to bring your A game every night".

Believe me, I've seen plenty of the SEC and ACC games and I can count on one hand the number of games that would even come close to earning an A grade. Virginia Tech has 7 losses and it's not like they lost to UConn 2002 or UConn 2014-16 or UConn 2008-09 all 7 of those games. Just because they came close doesn't mean they (or their opponents, for that matter) were playing well.

Reaction Score
I'm going to object on general principal to Clemson being described as "unbeatable" under pretty much any circumstance.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I'm going to object on general principal to Clemson being described as "unbeatable" under pretty much any circumstance.
Definitely a coffee-spitting moment there.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Not this again.

UConn played 7 years in the AAC. They played in 6 Final Fours -- NCAA tournament canceled in year 7 -- and they won 3 national championships and lost 2 semi-final games on last second shots. They'll do just fine playing in the Big East.

The ACC this year is not a grind under any definition of that term.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
Not this again.

UConn played 7 years in the AAC. They played in 6 Final Fours -- NCAA tournament canceled in year 7 -- and they won 3 national championships and lost 2 semi-final games on last second shots. They'll do just fine playing in the Big East.

The ACC this year is not a grind under any definition of that term.
We'll just have to agree to disagree. Tougher competition means more wear-and-tear on the body...but there's no sense bringing that up or trying to convince those that don't see it. The point of my statement was that if the ACC is so bad, that the lower teams wouldn't (or shouldn't) be able to keep up with the top teams.

Anyone who saw the Virginia Tech/NC State game on Sunday would know that game was played at a very high level (and with NC State without its leading scorer and rebounder) but those who only look at VaTech's record would say "Oh my...shame on NC State. Virginia Tech sucks". And that definitely is not the case.

I'm out.

Reaction Score
We'll just have to agree to disagree. Tougher competition means more wear-and-tear on the body...but there's no sense bringing that up or trying to convince those that don't see it. The point of my statement was that if the ACC is so bad, that the lower teams wouldn't (or shouldn't) be able to keep up with the top teams.

Anyone who saw the Virginia Tech/NC State game on Sunday would know that game was played at a very high level (and with NC State without its leading scorer and rebounder) but those who only look at VaTech's record would say "Oh my...shame on NC State. Virginia Tech sucks". And that definitely is not the case.

I'm out.
I'd say NC State playing their first game in three weeks without their best player and still rallying to win from a deficit is the better reason why they don't suck.

Reaction Score
That's what I'm here for -- to provide entertainment and cause people to spit on their keyboards. ?
I swear I can hear my boss' voice when I read this. That's his daily goal when on calls, especially our Teams meetings nowadays :D

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom