Pitt new name on B12 expansion radar | The Boneyard

Pitt new name on B12 expansion radar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
LOL.
So Arkansas is going to leave the strongest conference in the country for one of the weakest?
And ND would choose the BXII over the much stronger Big 10 or the closer-to-alumni Big East?
Why don't they target Alabama while they're at it?

BYU much more realistic, but not sure how that'd go over with the Protestants, esp @Baylor.

Surprised that Louisville & Memphis do not appear to be in the mix.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
BYU isn't happening either. Nobody in their right mind would want Memphis. The Big 12 is such a mess, I can't even see Pitt taking their calls.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Pitt makes less sense than even BC coming back to the BE.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
How funny would it be if TAMU goes to the SEC and the SEC school that would have been closest to them went to the B12? Never happen, but it would be hilarious.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
BYU isn't impossible. It would require the Big-12 to write another separate deal.

Texas is the only Big-12 state with significant Mormon population. BYU has Texas on their schedule now. The B-12 doesn't dovetail with their plans for the BYU network and BYU evangelism in the world community. In that sense a PAC-16 BYU makes much more sense and that won't happen with Utah there.

The Big-12 has one piece of ammo: Texas.

Reaction Score
BYU isn't impossible. It would require the Big-12 to write another separate deal.

Texas is the only Big-12 state with significant Mormon population. BYU has Texas on their schedule now. The B-12 doesn't dovetail with their plans for the BYU network and BYU evangelism in the world community. In that sense a PAC-16 BYU makes much more sense and that won't happen with Utah there.

How on earth does the PAC make more sense for BYU? No way in hell that those schools are inviting a religious school, esp a Mormon one.

Reaction Score
Why would ND choose any conference when they get so much TV revenue as an independent? As long as they've got that multi-million dollar deal with NBC and don't have to share it with anyone, they're happy. Not to mention, they get to keep their bowl revenue instead of pooling it with a conference consisting of teams making lesser (or no) bowls. So ND isn't going anywhere. Ever.

RS9999X

Reaction Score
How on earth does the PAC make more sense for BYU? No way in hell that those schools are inviting a religious school, esp a Mormon one.

The PAC covers the largest LDS states outside of Utah and Texas. I didn't say it made sense for the PAC. BYU's decisions aren't soley driven by money. Or so they say.

Reaction Score
Why would ND choose any conference when they get so much TV revenue as an independent? As long as they've got that multi-million dollar deal with NBC and don't have to share it with anyone, they're happy. Not to mention, they get to keep their bowl revenue instead of pooling it with a conference consisting of teams making lesser (or no) bowls. So ND isn't going anywhere. Ever.

clearly you have not seen that the conference rev now exceeds ND. Not to say they cannot surpass them with a new contract, but...

Reaction Score

I'm just watching TAMU basically giving ESPN the big F-U. The Big 12 will crumble all around Texas - and then no one will be able to take Texas without dismantling that huge ESPN contract.

It's actually brilliant.

Reaction Score
I'm just watching TAMU basically giving ESPN the big F-U. The Big 12 will crumble all around Texas - and then no one will be able to take Texas without dismantling that huge ESPN contract.

It's actually brilliant.

why does Texas need the B12 or any conference when they have ESPN and, well, Texas?

Reaction Score
why does Texas need the B12 or any conference when they have ESPN and, well, Texas?

Well you know...if they want an in to bowls...for when they go 6-6. Part of me really thinks last year was no fluke. Notre Dame is showing that staying independent is not viable in their means. I doubt Texas is much different.

Reaction Score
Well you know...if they want an in to bowls...for when they go 6-6. Part of me really thinks last year was no fluke. Notre Dame is showing that staying independent is not viable in their means. I doubt Texas is much different.

I respectfully disagree. ND has proven the independent model, rather than showing it is not viable. UT is the #1 earning athletic program - do you think that is because of the Big 12? Would UConn not schedule them for any reason?

Reaction Score
I respectfully disagree. ND has proven the independent model, rather than showing it is not viable. UT is the #1 earning athletic program - do you think that is because of the Big 12? Would UConn not schedule them for any reason?

ND has not proven the independent model works or else they'd be left out of these expansion discussions and also completely abandon the Big East.

I think the Big 12 has a significant role to play in it. Whatever you want to say about it being a weak conference, it's not weak athletically. It's weak in conviction. But it's not like Texas will get golden opportunities to play rivals like Texas Tech, Texas A&M, Baylor, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Kansas, Kansas State, and Missouri (why the duck Iowa State is in the B12 is beyond me.) This is beyond football too. All of these teams have great football and/or basketball programs. And these teams were pretty much guaranteed in on their schedules. Texas/OU is one of the biggest rivalries out there. The Big 12 imploding will only destroy that. In fact, we'll see how that goes this year and future years with the division split between Mich and tOSU.

Would Texas be able to survive? Yeah, they just got a gnikcvf huge contract from ESPN. But I think you'd be surprised how hard it would be for Texas to get a schedule like they would in the Big 12. If it weren't for Notre Dame having "lifelong" contracts with teams from years and years of tradition, it's schedule would be subject to criticism.

Reaction Score
ND absolutely is viable. They rake in money, have a special in to the BCS (which Texas absolutely would get as well), have absolutely no problem scheduling, and have no problem being on national TV every week. Just because on field performance has been subpar doesn't mean the model isn't working.

Reaction Score
ND rakes in money while NBC is looking at decreased ratings. ND's next TV contract will not be as lucrative. This is apparent by NBC execs stating that they will be gradually moving games to Versus instead of NBC.

They only have a special into the BCS because otherwise the Big East wouldn't have one. If the Big East gave up it's in, essentially ND would too.

Reaction Score
ND has not proven the independent model works or else they'd be left out of these expansion discussions and also completely abandon the Big East.

I think the Big 12 has a significant role to play in it. Whatever you want to say about it being a weak conference, it's not weak athletically. It's weak in conviction. But it's not like Texas will get golden opportunities to play rivals like Texas Tech, Texas A&M, Baylor, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Kansas, Kansas State, and Missouri (why the duck Iowa State is in the B12 is beyond me.) This is beyond football too. All of these teams have great football and/or basketball programs. And these teams were pretty much guaranteed in on their schedules. Texas/OU is one of the biggest rivalries out there. The Big 12 imploding will only destroy that. In fact, we'll see how that goes this year and future years with the division split between Mich and tOSU.

Would Texas be able to survive? Yeah, they just got a gnikcvf huge contract from ESPN. But I think you'd be surprised how hard it would be for Texas to get a schedule like they would in the Big 12. If it weren't for Notre Dame having "lifelong" contracts with teams from years and years of tradition, it's schedule would be subject to criticism.

There is a big difference between ND being in expansion "discussions" in the media and ND being a part of conference expansion - when the latter happens I will agree with you. As far as ND abandoning the BE completely, hopefully we both know that all sports but football need the conference format (see BYU).

I don't think Texas cares so much about Texas Tech. Texas A&M already has said they want to preserve the Thanksgiving game against Texas. Oklahoma would probably like to continue a series as well depending on what happens, but I think you are missing the point a bit. Texas will thrive because everyone wants to play them, they attract the best players and they are building their network. Replace Oklahoma on their schedule each year with USC. Replace Texas Tech with a Big 10 team, and Baylor with a Big East team, etc. etc.

RS9999X

Reaction Score
Texas would make out well with a smaller Big-12.

With 9 conference games the new model the Big-12 wasn't under any pressure to expand.

At this point they are talking about ND and BYU as scheduling arrangements where they keep their own network deals for home games and get BCS access and some Big-12 money. For Texas a 12 team and 9 game conference may not be the best solution.

I could see a 9 team Big-12 as viable in the Texas world. Schedule home and away against
BYU or ND
A PAC-12 team
SMU/RICE/Houston/TCU
Add a premier or ACC or SEC

Which is what they do now

Reaction Score
This just shows who is calling the shots in the Big 12. they really don't want to elevate anyone inside the state.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I assume Pitt will decline to even discuss a move, but who knows?

BYU is a good fit, and by far the best realistic option, including Pitt. While Texas is universally hated, the Big 12 does have a phat TV deal that apparently would survive a BYU for Texas A&M swap. From ESPN's standpoint, they just fold the $10 million they are paying BYU into the Big 12 deal, and it probably doesn't cost them much more money. Between Fox and ESPN, plus the leverage they have in the situation, BYU should be able to demand the same guaranteed money as Oklahoma.

This A&M situation still puzzles me. Why aren't there any other confirmations on this story outside of College Station, or people reporting what someone at Texas A&M told them? Where are the independent SEC corroborations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom