Pitt and Syracuse apply to join ACC | The Boneyard

Pitt and Syracuse apply to join ACC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/6980644/pitt-syracuse-apply-join-acc-ranks-source-says

if this is true, than the big east higher ups are huge morons for just sitting there again and letting another conference take teams away. Unbelievable

BE deserves this with the stupid decision to not split into an all-sports conf after VA Tech & Miami left. They could have then easily gotten to 12 with a solid conf in tact.

Now they are left with some even goofier design.

Reaction Score
I should add, exactly how has having SJU, Prov, 'Nova, Seton Hall, etc. benefited the conf?

Also, if WVU finds it way into the SEC and B10 expands and adds ND (if ND doesn't join UT in ACC) and Rutty then UConn will be in the worst position of all. At least is Cincy and 'Ville end up in some new design with KSU, ISU, Mizzou. KU, TCU, you could argue that is at least somewhat geographically aligned. UConn could finds its way into that, but that is an awful outcome for UConn.

Reaction Score
I think that the ACC is hoping they can add Pitt, Cuse along with Texas and Texas Tech to get to 16. There has been some buzz about Texas and the ACC. Uconn fans have to hope the Texas deal blows up and that Uconn and Rutgers are the backup options since this Cuse and Pitt stuff almost appears done/

Reaction Score
I think that the ACC is hoping they can add Pitt, Cuse along with Texas and Texas Tech to get to 16. There has been some buzz about Texas and the ACC. Uconn fans have to hope the Texas deal blows up and that Uconn and Rutgers are the backup options since this Cuse and Pitt stuff almost appears done/

Texas goes Big10 before it ever goes ACC. That's my prediction.

Reaction Score
This is awful, awful news. I think UConn is an attractive option to other conferences, but we can't let ourselves get left behind.

The Big East has always been the most vulnerable major conference with it's mix of non-football schools, and I think that this could be the tipping point to the demise of the conference we love so much. Pittsburgh and Syracuse are HUGE losses. The Big East won't feel the same without them. The Big East got lucky last time by picking up UL, Cincinnati, etc.... But there aren't schools like that this time. I think it may be time that we look into joining other conferences, despite our strong allegiance to our conference. It's an "eat or get eaten" world and if UConn doesn't make some moves, we could get left in the dark.

I hope I'm wrong, but this is a very bad scenario.

Reaction Score
Just reading Desmond's blog he points out that teams must pay a 5 million dollar exit fee and (this is the important part) give 27 months notice. So, if they do leave the Big East will have some time to try to piece something together. Doesn't make it good but better than immediate change.
I have to say all this conference switching is sapping my enjoyment of college sports. Rivalries mean very little anymore, it's all about TV dollars. It's too bad.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
My issue is with Providence and how lousy they have messed up everything the past seven years. My hope is Susan Herbst is being pro active here and not just sitting around waiting to see whats going to play out.

Reaction Score
Looks like tthe BE ship is sinking, wonder if uconn will jump ship

MTHusky

UCONN Grad class of 1970, living in Brookings OR
Reaction Score
RIP Big East

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I don't think basketball will suffer much or at all, but football will never get off the ground.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
i don't give a rats ass about rivalries. any rivalries UCONN thinks they have can easily be handled by "OOC" games. it's all about joining a strong conference. let's hope UCONN isn't on the outside looking in.

Reaction Score
I have to believe that the higher-ups at UConn are working on something. If Syracuse and Pitt exit then UConn needs to follow suit quickly.

Reaction Score
I am a lifelong UConn fan and huge fan of the Big East (liked the old better than the new, but...) this move was inevitable ever since BC defected. I hate to say it, but if UConn has to realize that it's every school for itself now, and I firmly believe the BEST scenario for them is the ACC. I think Cuse is delusional in thinking that they fit with ACC better than UConn. I will admit to not being able to accurately analyze all the sports, but in the ones that matter most - football and basketball, UConn remains superior. On the academic front, I would imagine that UConn outpaces Cuse as well.

When it comes to markets, what does Cuse bring that UConn doesnt? NYC? Maybe, but UConn can deliver metro-NY AND all of New England as well as being a natural rival for BC, UNC, Duke, etc. Hearing rumors that Duke doesn't want UConn - which would make sense to me, but if conferences are going to 16 schools anyway, then Duke should suck it up.

As I see it, there are only really 2 outcomes for UConn -- hopefully get into the ACC, or remain in the Big East, whatever it looks like post defection part deux. I think I'd rather take my chances in the ACC.

Reaction Score
What's interesting is there aren't many rumors of us going anywhere. It seems like we are the only major football team showing any loyalty to the Big East. Are we still mad at Miami and Tech? We need to start looking out for ourselves in a hurry.
At this point it seems like we are being squeezed out.

Reaction Score
UConn and Syracuse are similarly academically, but Syracuse is generally regarded as the better school.

Reaction Score
Uconn has eclipsed Syracuse in the recent rankings. I believe 58th overall to 62. It's not an academic thing. I do wonder how much politics come into play in this stuff, ie. schools like BC and any handshake agreements they had in place prior to joining with regards to cockblocking Uconn.

Reaction Score
ChipBrownOB Chip Brown

by TerpsInsider

Big 12 administrator tells Orangebloods.com Syracuse and Pitt will be announced as 13th and 14th members of the #ACC on Sunday.

Reaction Score
UConn need the SEC to come in and take Clemson and FSU so that the ACC needs more members. If they dont do something quickly they will be in bad shape.

Reaction Score
UConn is unfortunately going to be at best the Option B for ACC or Option C for Big 10. It is clear that the administration was caught with their pants down by the Syracuse/Pitt announcement, and will now be competing with Rutgers for scraps. The ACC will only ever want UConn if better options do not materialize (Texas/TT). The only thing UConn has going for it right now is the ESPN connection to the state, and the hope that Dan Malloy does not mind going into an ethical gray area and call up the folks down in Bristol and ask for a good recommendation letter.

The scenarios as I see them:

Most likely:
UConn ends up as the top dog in the dregs of the Big East/Big 12/CUSA leftovers. The football program and basketball programs are irrevocably harmed. In this scenario the ACC picks up either Texas/TT or grabs some combination of Rutgers/Louisville/Cincinnati to flesh out 16. The Big 10 only ever seemed interested in Syracuse, Pitt, and Rutgers, so if they poach anyone, it would be Rutgers for the NY market.

Hopeful:
The ACC fails to woo Texas, and decides to pick up Rutgers/UConn as teams 15/16. This is working under the assumption that WV would prefer going to the SEC and that the SEC would want WV.

Dreamland:
The Big 10 decides to ignore its vaunted academic requirements and take in UConn as the lesser buddy of Rutgers as well as absorb Notre Dame. Overall, this is still a terrible blow to UConn Men's BB, as it vastly decreases the market value of the team to NYC.

Reaction Score
UConn is unfortunately going to be at best the Option B for ACC or Option C for Big 10. It is clear that the administration was caught with their pants down by the Syracuse/Pitt announcement, and will now be competing with Rutgers for scraps. The ACC will only ever want UConn if better options do not materialize (Texas/TT). The only thing UConn has going for it right now is the ESPN connection to the state, and the hope that Dan Malloy does not mind going into an ethical gray area and call up the folks down in Bristol and ask for a good recommendation letter.

The scenarios as I see them:

Most likely:
UConn ends up as the top dog in the dregs of the Big East/Big 12/CUSA leftovers. The football program and basketball programs are irrevocably harmed. In this scenario the ACC picks up either Texas/TT or grabs some combination of Rutgers/Louisville/Cincinnati to flesh out 16. The Big 10 only ever seemed interested in Syracuse, Pitt, and Rutgers, so if they poach anyone, it would be Rutgers for the NY market.

Hopeful:
The ACC fails to woo Texas, and decides to pick up Rutgers/UConn as teams 15/16. This is working under the assumption that WV would prefer going to the SEC and that the SEC would want WV.

Dreamland:
The Big 10 decides to ignore its vaunted academic requirements and take in UConn as the lesser buddy of Rutgers as well as absorb Notre Dame. Overall, this is still a terrible blow to UConn Men's BB, as it vastly decreases the market value of the team to NYC.

#1. Explain why it's most likely that the ACC grabs Rutgers/Louisville and Cincy over UConn?
#2. I don't understand what WV has to do with it at all
#3. What academic requirements are you referring to? UConn does more in research than Nebraska and Indiana already and is on par with Iowa.

Reaction Score
Rutgers over UConn is an obvious choice for any conference. Rutgers = better TV market, AAU membership. As for Louisville/Cincy/USF as possibilities over UConn, it all has to do with TV market. The ACC simply does not need UConn's television market. There is no real money to be gained there that is not also available by expanding into Ohio with Cincy or grabbing more of Florida with USF. In terms of recruitment, a conference would much rather deepen ties to Cincinnati, Tampa, and such over Hartford/New Haven.

As for WVU, if the SEC does not grab them, I would think they would be a more palatable option for the ACC over UConn as well, both geographically and in terms of athletics.

It does not matter if UConn does more research than Indiana or Nebraska. Up until last year, both of those schools were in the American Association of Universities. Indiana still is. AAU membership is pretty much required for Big 10 membership.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom