Pitino: our weak football teams protect the Big East | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Pitino: our weak football teams protect the Big East

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Pitino should sit down considering his past with the NCAA with the affair and Louisville being stripped of the title because of his action.

So Rick sit down and shut up

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
There are FB programs that pay their QB more than we pay our championship winning HOF basketball coaches.

That is why FB matters.

Reaction Score
And they were doing that long before NIL.
While there's no doubt football players, and basketball for that matter, were getting cash before NIL started, they weren't getting nearly as much as they are getting now. Ohio State spent $20 million in NIL on their roster this season. No way were any schools spending anything even close to that before NIL.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Butler, Creighton, and Xavier have been in the Big East for 11 seasons.

Marquette and DePaul have been in the Big East for 19 seasons.

UConn has been in the Big East for 38 seasons and won the league 5 men's basketball national championships. I think it's safe to say we've put in more sweat equity than all of them and have brought more credibility, money, and prestige to the league than any other program.
Who said we weren’t the best program in conference history? Not me. Point to me another program that went elsewhere and came back. And I know you live in some kind of fantasy bro land, but can you explain to me how you build sweat equity when you actually aren’t working for the company?

By your reasoning Boston College could come back to BE tomorrow and have more of a claim than all the teams you mention. It doesn’t work like that, superbrah.

Reaction Score
Who said we weren’t the best program in conference history? Not me. Point to me another program that went elsewhere and came back. And I know you live in some kind of fantasy bro land, but can you explain to me how you build sweat equity when you actually aren’t working for the company?

By your reasoning Boston College could come back to BE tomorrow and have more of a claim than all the teams you mention. It doesn’t work like that, superbrah.
Great job comparing BC to UConn brah.

You have this way of passive aggressively taking a dump on UConn every chance you get. Another gold star for the cover band fatso.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Great job comparing BC to UConn brah.

You have this way of passive aggressively taking a dump on UConn every chance you get. Another gold star for the cover band fatso.
Right.

Please tell me how recognizing UConn wasnt in the league for almost a decade is taking a dump on the program?

Reaction Score
Yes! Alabama and Ohio State prop up the Marylands and Vanderbilts of the world
Not so sure we should be throwing any shade what so ever at a team that could have practically named the score and pulverized UConn 63-7 just a few weeks ago with one mercy TD at the end to avoid a big fat 0.

Reaction Score
Can anyone give me a breakdown of the Alabama’s and Ohio Sts revenue vs lower conference members? How much more do they get than the lower tiered?
You don't want to know.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Me too, to be honest. I've said this a few times, but I would be both relieved and depressed if we ever were to get a P4 offer. I'd be relieved because as things currently stand, the financial future of our athletics department has a huge question mark looming over it. But I'd be a little disappointed too, because I enjoy the big east and the opportunity to see so many road games.
If football and revenue were completely out of the equation, just basketball and Olympic sports my preference (excluding B1G and SEC) would be:
1. ACC
2. Big East
3. Big XII

ACC has as many "Big East" rivals as the Big East does at this point. Plus Duke, UNC, UVA, and NC State. Big XII is a stronger league than the Big East and I'd love an annual Kansas game, but the geography isn't ideal. Don't want a lot of late games. It would be so much better for Baseball that it's close, even without football, but the lack of soccer balances that.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

This may be hypercritical on my part but I still find it very irritating when the implication is made that we left the BE for the AAC. The schools that ended up purchasing the BE name from the AAC left us, and they did it under the cover of darkness (kind if like Irsay moving the Colts from Baltimore) without informing anyone outside of those who would be in the new conference what was happening until it was completed.

My issue with that was that with proper notification, we would have been in position to take the lead role in what would become the AAC (we were by far the most senior, most successful and biggest brand) and should have been able to benefit from all of the capital we had contributed over nearly three and a half decades. Instead we were reduced to being one of the masses who handed all decision making to a new hire once the five remaining schools hastily filled out the initial conference.

Yes, we did end up in a conference with a different name, due to a financial and spent a number of separated from what was called the BE. We did not however leave and then return, we left at a later date than seven other schools from the prior conference.

For the record, the only reason I care is that when everything fell out, the one thing that we should have been in position to capitalize on was taken away from us by the manner that it unfolded.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
This may be hypercritical on my part but I still find it very irritating when the implication is made that we left the BE for the AAC. The schools that ended up purchasing the BE name from the AAC left us, and they did it under the cover of darkness (kind if like Irsay moving the Colts from Baltimore) without informing anyone outside of those who would be in the new conference what was happening until it was completed.

This is all true. That is actually what happened. I tell fans of C7 teams exactly that whenever they get on their high horse. However I'm sure we could've chosen to join them and been welcomed at the time. We did not . I understand why we didn't at that period of time, but we did make that choice.

In the end Im grateful that they did it. It gave us the best league in College hoops to return to when we were finally ready.

Reaction Score
This is all true. That is actually what happened. I tell fans of C7 teams exactly that whenever they get on their high horse. However I'm sure we could've chosen to join them and been welcomed at the time. We did not . I understand why we didn't at that period of time, but we did make that choice.

In the end Im grateful that they did it. It gave us the best league in College hoops to return to when we were finally ready.
They played us. They implored us to upgrade to FBS even asked us to move up the timeline, and when the Big East FB losts its power status they bailed on football altogether.

A more regional G5 Football conference could have been coddled together involving UMass, Buffalo, maybe Nova, Delaware, JMU, Temple that made sense and wasn't asking UConn to drop football a decade into investing hundreds of millions into the upgrade.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
They played us. They implored us to upgrade to FBS even asked us to move up the timeline, and when the Big East FB losts its power status they bailed on football altogether.

A more regional G5 Football conference could have been coddled together involving UMass, Buffalo, maybe Nova, Delaware, JMU, Temple that made sense and wasn't asking UConn to drop football a decade into investing hundreds of millions into the upgrade.
Like I said I understand why we did what we did at the time.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score

I disagree. The Big East gave us an opportunity to showcase and play high-level football. And we did just that, the results speak for themselves pre-2010.

And when it mattered most for realignment we shot ourselves in both feet, repeatedly, and continued to do so for 10+ years. So we really have no one to blame but ourselves. With the recent Big 12 rumors, it further proves our university loves embarrassing itself over football. All you need to do is win.

But I like the Big East it’s a better fit all around.

Reaction Score
I disagree. The Big East gave us an opportunity to showcase and play high-level football. And we did just that, the results speak for themselves pre-2010.

And when it mattered most for realignment we shot ourselves in both feet, repeatedly, and continued to do so for 10+ years. So we really have no one to blame but ourselves. With the recent Big 12 rumors, it further proves our university loves embarrassing itself over football. All you need to do is win.

But I like the Big East it’s a better fit all around.
I’m not sure if the school is to blame for everything that went wrong. We were supposed to be part of a 2 school package with Syracuse and only when the scumbags up at Boston College objected ( Duke and NC amongst others went to bat for us) were we replaced by Pittsburgh. We had just won a NC in basketball and played in a BCS bowl game after WINNING the Big East in FOOTBALL. We were the most desirable school around at the time. The school definitely owns the fiasco when they were asleep at the wheels when Looserville snuck into the ACC instead of UConn. That one will haunt us forever. We’d be celebrating our 10th year in the ACC this year. We had all the wrong people in all the wrong jobs ( school president/athletic director)at the time. Only time will tell if we ever fully recover from that self inflicted disaster.

Reaction Score

My issue with that was that with proper notification, we would have been in position to take the lead role in what would become the AAC (we were by far the most senior, most successful and biggest brand) and should have been able to benefit from all of the capital we had contributed over nearly three and a half decades. Instead we were reduced to being one of the masses who handed all decision making to a new hire once the five remaining schools hastily filled out the initial conference.

Yes, we did end up in a conference with a different name, due to a financial and spent a number of separated from what was called the BE. We did not however leave and then return, we left at a later date than seven other schools from the prior conference.

For the record, the only reason I care is that when everything fell out, the one thing that we should have been in position to capitalize on was taken away from us by the manner that it unfolded.
Thank you. You saved me from having to write this post. I can't understand how many fans and basketball analysts (who are supposed to be pros at this) have forgotten how we ended up in the conference called the AAC, which was really just the remnants of the original BE.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom