Pitino: May Madness | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Pitino: May Madness

Reaction Score
We now have two vaccines that are over 90% effective. Pfizer (90%) and Moderna (94%).

Moderna's vaccine will begin to be administered in December. Country wide admistration will last through the Spring. So pushing the the tourney to May makes sense.

Play ball!!!!
I haven't read up on the Moderna news yet, but the recent announcement by Pfizer was a glorified press release. Test group less than 100 (about 90 people I believe). Not peer reviewed (yet). Hope it works, obviously!! And I hope we can figure out how to distribute widely a vaccine that needs to be kept at -70 degrees Celsius.

But we're not quite there yet.

Reaction Score
We now have two vaccines that are over 90% effective. Pfizer (90%) and Moderna (94%).

Moderna's vaccine will begin to be administered in December. Country wide admistration will last through the Spring. So pushing the the tourney to May makes sense.

Play ball!!!!
Wow. If even pal is on board just do it.

Reaction Score
Pfizer (90%) and Moderna (94%) .
I haven't read up on the Moderna news yet, but the recent announcement by Pfizer was a glorified press release. Test group less than 100 (about 90 people I believe). Not peer reviewed (yet). Hope it works, obviously!! And I hope we can figure out how to distribute widely a vaccine that needs to be kept at -70 degrees Celsius.

Here's the news. Moderna's coronavirus vaccine is 94.5% effective, according to company data

Reaction Score

It is a first step in both cases.Beyond s first step really. It means that scientists have found approaches that seem to work but likely need to be refined somewhat in order to be truly available for general use. There is also the problem of distribution. And no doubt it will be a mess initially. As is typical of any major undertaking. Anyone remember when Krispy Kreme opened on the Berlin turnpike and caused traffic jams back to Windsor? LOL. Or the first emissions testing went into effect? Now does anyone even think about getting an emissions test? Those were localized. This involves distributing vaccine to 300 million people. After a few weeks it will be fine but in the initial phase there will be issues and no doubt internet rumors that some guy from Nebraska grew a mustache as a result and my friend’s uncle’s neighbor now has one leg the same length as the other because he got a vaccination. And that will eventually calm down too.

Reaction Score
It is a first step in both cases.Beyond s first step really. It means that scientists have found approaches that seem to work but likely need to be refined somewhat in order to be truly available for general use. There is also the problem of distribution. And no doubt it will be a mess initially. As is typical of any major undertaking. Anyone remember when Krispy Kreme opened on the Berlin turnpike and caused traffic jams back to Windsor? LOL. Or the first emissions testing went into effect? Now does anyone even think about getting an emissions test? Those were localized. This involves distributing vaccine to 300 million people. After a few weeks it will be fine but in the initial phase there will be issues and no doubt internet rumors that some guy from Nebraska grew a mustache as a result and my friend’s uncle’s neighbor now has one leg the same length as the other because he got a vaccination. And that will eventually calm down too.
Most of those questions have been answered.

Fauci says he expects the first Covid-19 vaccinations to begin "towards the latter part of December, rather than the early part of December."

Initially, there won't be enough vaccine for everyone. The highest priority groups, which include health care workers, the elderly, and people with underlying medical conditions, will get the vaccine first.

"I think that everybody else will start to get vaccinated towards the end of April," Fauci said. "And that will go into May, June, July. It will take a couple of months to do."

Reaction Score
The distribution by the CDC and sub-contractor McKesson started prep in July. This is an update from October. Remember, no battle plan survives contact with the enemy , so there should be hiccups and bugs to work out. But this has been in the works for a while.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
Some of you people are insane.

Regardless of who you think should be afraid of the virus or not, and what you think those people should do. The simple fact is that the schools are not going to let the games be played if the players are testing positive. Last time I checked it's kinda hard to run a league if games aren't happening.

Reaction Score
Some of you people are insane.

Regardless of who you think should be afraid of the virus or not, and what you think those people should do. The simple fact is that the schools are not going to let the games be played if the players are testing positive. Last time I checked it's kinda hard to run a league if games aren't happening.
Have you not turned on a TV? College football being played everywhere except for UConn despite tons of positive tests.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
Have you not turned on a TV? College football being played everywhere except for UConn despite tons of positive tests.

And every week more and more games are getting cancelled.

When Ohio State finishes the season 5-0 in games played do they still make the playoffs?

Reaction Score
And every week more and more games are getting cancelled.

When Ohio State finishes the season 5-0 in games played do they still make the playoffs?
Yes, Ohio State will make the playoffs.

Reaction Score
Vaccine or not the NCAA will do everything in its power to have a tournament and that likely means a bubble.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
Yes, Ohio State will make the playoffs.

In basketball if you have one positive test the team misses 2 weeks or about 4 games. Then what happens if another kid on the team tests positive? What happens when their next opponents have positive tests? When do they make up the games or do they even bother? There is no plan to execute the season properly. They are just winging it. Sure we can watch some basketball but is the experience going to be enjoyable?

I want Bouk and co to get a fair shot this year. If that means waiting until March or April to start I'm totally fine with that.

Reaction Score
Even an iota of college basketball will be immensely enjoyable. I fully expect it to be a cluster f of a season but I'll certainly watch every bit of it I can

Now do I think they should have a season...whole other discussion

Reaction Score
In basketball if you have one positive test the team misses 2 weeks or about 4 games.

I don't know the science on this, so it's a non-loaded question:

What's the difference in probability of catching a true positive case in the following two situations, both where a player is ID'd as a close contact of someone who tests positive:
- Close contacts quarantine and test daily for 7 days
- Close contacts quarantine and test at the end of 14 days

Is the full 14 days a matter of reducing risk by a miniscule percent or is it that in scenario 1 you're ~50% likely to detect a positive and scenario 2 you're 99.999999% likely?

The problem with getting a season in seems to be the quarantine for close contacts.

How is it that football is going off right now when some players and coaches test positive but the whole team does not shut down?

Reaction Score
I can see both sides of these arguments but what I dont get is why having no fans able to be at games has anything to do with it. If basketball games never had fans at them, every kid would still love playing. Fans in the stands is about us, not them.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
I don't know the science on this, so it's a non-loaded question:

What's the difference in probability of catching a true positive case in the following two situations, both where a player is ID'd as a close contact of someone who tests positive:
- Close contacts quarantine and test daily for 7 days
- Close contacts quarantine and test at the end of 14 days

Is the full 14 days a matter of reducing risk by a miniscule percent or is it that in scenario 1 you're ~50% likely to detect a positive and scenario 2 you're 99.999999% likely?

The problem with getting a season in seems to be the quarantine for close contacts.

How is it that football is going off right now when some players and coaches test positive but the whole team does not shut down?

The virus has a 5-14 day incubation period. I believe the logic behind shutting down the team for 2 weeks is to prevent spread to other team mates and then give adequate time for the virus to develope before giving the team the ok to restart activities

It's the rule of the conference. That's how it's going to work

As for football are you taking NFL or college. I think it might have something to do with not have additional positive tests during a certain period

Reaction Score
Most of those questions have been answered.

Fauci says he expects the first Covid-19 vaccinations to begin "towards the latter part of December, rather than the early part of December."

Initially, there won't be enough vaccine for everyone. The highest priority groups, which include health care workers, the elderly, and people with underlying medical conditions, will get the vaccine first.

"I think that everybody else will start to get vaccinated towards the end of April," Fauci said. "And that will go into May, June, July. It will take a couple of months to do."
Which makes May Madness even more logical. Though there are still a number of questions about how to distribute vaccines such as Pfizer’s that require super cold conditions and how long the benefits actually last. And how to convince the 50-60% of the general public that it is safe.

Reaction Score
Which makes May Madness even more logical. Though there are still a number of questions about how to distribute vaccines such as Pfizer’s that require super cold conditions and how long the benefits actually last. And how to convince the 50-60% of the general public that it is safe.

Some excellent research suggests immunity will last for a *very* extended period of time and yearly vaccinations will be unlikely.

tl;dr - patients who recovered 8 months ago have very little diminished immunity. Runs in line with folks who recovered from 2003 SARS outbreak, another coronavirus, who still have T-cells 17 years later.

Given Moderna's vaccine only requires normal freezer storage, that'll ease distribution capabilities. I strongly believe that if the general public sees these vaccines are highly effective, aren't necessary yearly, and will greatly speed the return to mask-less and social distance-less life that the vast majority will get vaccinated.

Add on top of that, you can bet that once an approved vaccine is available to anyone who wants one it'll be a requirement to do things like send your child to school, enroll in college, work in an office, perhaps even as much as go to a concert or sporting event.

The science here is strong. Public officials and scientists need to do a much better job of clearly informing the public and presenting the research than they did in the spring on things like the efficacy of social distancing and mask-wearing.

Bat down these nonsense claims of "we've never developed a vaccine this fast!!!!" with facts. There's no other time in human history that we've *tried* to develop a vaccine this fast with this level of urgency. That'd be like if they said in the middle of the 20th century "Well, no one's ever been to the moon. So I guess it's not possible and I think anyone who says we can is a liar."

Reaction Score

Some excellent research suggests immunity will last for a *very* extended period of time and yearly vaccinations will be unlikely.

tl;dr - patients who recovered 8 months ago have very little diminished immunity. Runs in line with folks who recovered from 2003 SARS outbreak, another coronavirus, who still have T-cells 17 years later.

Given Moderna's vaccine only requires normal freezer storage, that'll ease distribution capabilities. I strongly believe that if the general public sees these vaccines are highly effective, aren't necessary yearly, and will greatly speed the return to mask-less and social distance-less life that the vast majority will get vaccinated.

Add on top of that, you can bet that once an approved vaccine is available to anyone who wants one it'll be a requirement to do things like send your child to school, enroll in college, work in an office, perhaps even as much as go to a concert or sporting event.

The science here is strong. Public officials and scientists need to do a much better job of clearly informing the public and presenting the research than they did in the spring on things like the efficacy of social distancing and mask-wearing.

Bat down these nonsense claims of "we've never developed a vaccine this fast!!!!" with facts. There's no other time in human history that we've *tried* to develop a vaccine this fast with this level of urgency. That'd be like if they said in the middle of the 20th century "Well, no one's ever been to the moon. So I guess it's not possible and I think anyone who says we can is a liar."
Great post. The anti-vaxx loonies and the anti-gov't loonies will realize they won't really be a part of society unless they get vaccinated.

Reaction Score
I'm sure this could complicate TV running into NBA playoffs, and other spring college sports and graduations.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom