Pitino:I think without question, the Catholic 7 deserves the Big East name | The Boneyard

Pitino:I think without question, the Catholic 7 deserves the Big East name

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-ba...league-summer-of-2013-big-east-notre-dame-acc

"They should have, in my estimation, broken away from the football schools three years ago. I think they waited way too long. They should have been fed up a long time ago.

How can I put this delicately? Actually, I can't. I don't even want to. Tricky Rick should in his hat and pull it over his ears! If, in fact, Butler and Xavier join the new league imo it will be stellar. I am one UConn hoops fan who could give a rat's a** about UConn football. I would love to see our basketball team in that league. If that can't happen, then Aresco needs to step up as soon as possible and let all of the fans of the remaining schools know(including the new entries) why we should be excited about the future. Right now I don't see any reason at all(although I am looking forward to having Memphis and Temple on our schedule).

GO HUSKIES!!! BEAT THE BEARCATS!!!

Reaction Score
Pitino's a fraud. He would have been livid if the C-7 left three years ago. He gets off on BE hoops and the tourney in MSG and he would have lost all that if his alleged wishes came true.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Ask him if still thinks talk of UConn going to the ACC is the dumbest thing he's ever heard.

Reaction Score
How can I put this delicately? Actually, I can't. I don't even want to. Tricky Rick should in his hat and pull it over his ears! If, in fact, Butler and Xavier join the new league imo it will be stellar. I am one UConn hoops fan who could give a rat's a** about UConn football. I would love to see our basketball team in that league. If that can't happen, then Aresco needs to step up as soon as possible and let all of the fans of the remaining schools know(including the new entries) why we should be excited about the future. Right now I don't see any reason at all(although I am looking forward to having Memphis and Temple on our schedule).

In 5-10 years, when the football schools break away and form their own coalition, how would you feel about the prospect of never ever landing in a postseason tourney with the likes of North Carolina, Michigan St., Kentucky and Duke?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I guess most of us would agree if UConn were going to the ACC instead of Ville, there would have been a different quote. Who cares what these coaches and AD's state. UConn will at the very least be in some remnant BE - ACC hybrid or in the B!G in five years or less. Meanwhile KO will hold the fort and keep the program at a high level.

Reaction Score
In 5-10 years, when the football schools break away and form their own coalition, how would you feel about the prospect of never ever landing in a postseason tourney with the likes of North Carolina, Michigan St., Kentucky and Duke?

All I'm saying is that I am a basketball and soccer fan. I have a real problem, regardless of the causes or motivations, with one sport having such a dramatic impact on every other sport on college campuses. Not to mention, as in our case, the destruction of rivalries that have contributed beyond all measure to the history of college hoops. It stinks! It will always stink! There is no other way for me to look at it. I have a very hard time projecting or worrying about the future when I know what we had and what we have now....what the sport had and what it has now. And, honestly, even if we do move to the ACC or the Big 10, does the destruction of the Big East make it worth it?

Reaction Score
All I'm saying is that I am a basketball and soccer fan. I have a real problem, regardless of the causes or motivations, with one sport having such a dramatic impact on every other sport on college campuses. Not to mention, as in our case, the destruction of rivalries that have contributed beyond all measure to the history of college hoops. It stinks! It will always stink! There is no other way for me to look at it. I have a very hard time projecting or worrying about the future when I know what we had and what we have now....what the sport had and what it has now. And, honestly, even if we do move to the ACC or the Big 10, does the destruction of the Big East make it worth it?

The reason why the BTN is affiliating itself with Rutgers and all these moves are being made is because of control. The pot of money for total control of football through a football playoff and basketball (the NCAA makes $800m currently that is split between thousands of schools) playoff is so great that joining with those who will possibly be excluded from all of this will mean the end of UConn sports in total. So it's not simply a matter of the end of rivalries or the BE, but the end of UConn sports.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score

Ummmm....

Fed up in what particular way? Was St Johns, or Seton Hall harmed in any particular way by the football success of Pitt and West Virginia?

Did it cost Providence or Villanova any money when football schools like UConn and Louisville made the tournament and they did not?

Was DePaul angered because South Florida was brought in, as a football school, and managed to help keep them company in the basement of the BBall standings?

I believe that all the football schools bent over backwards to accommodate these BBall only schools (and, yes....I am talking about Notre Dame, too).

Pitino is a moron.....

Reaction Score
The reason why the BTN is affiliating itself with Rutgers and all these moves are being made is because of control. The pot of money for total control of football through a football playoff and basketball (the NCAA makes $800m currently that is split between thousands of schools) playoff is so great that joining with those who will possibly be excluded from all of this will mean the end of UConn sports in total. So it's not simply a matter of the end of rivalries or the BE, but the end of UConn sports.

I appreciate the big picture; but I have to ask, and I really hope the world hasn't come to this(although from what you are saying it certainly seems so), where does the fan fit in any more? Are the money and power brokers convinced that they can do absolutely everything and anything, because we are such suckers for the team that we root for that we won't care? That we'll bitch and moan for awhile; and then we'll continue to pony up the dollars for tickets, paraphernalia and cable/satellite packages? I guess so. I am not comfortable at all being suckered because I happen to have a passion for UConn basketball. Or, if I'm some guy in Bloomington,I'll keep buying tickets to Indiana soccer no matter who the hell they are playing because I love the team and I have no choice. Do they really think they can destroy historic rivalries for the sake of power and money and it won't come back to bite them in the a**? Pathetic state of affairs!

Reaction Score
Pitino: After winning 5 games in 5 days UConn will be too tired to win the national championship.

Enough said

Reaction Score
I appreciate the big picture; but I have to ask, and I really hope the world hasn't come to this(although from what you are saying it certainly seems so), where does the fan fit in any more? Are the money and power brokers convinced that they can do absolutely everything and anything, because we are such suckers for the team that we root for that we won't care? That we'll bitch and moan for awhile; and then we'll continue to pony up the dollars for tickets, paraphernalia and cable/satellite packages? I guess so. I am not comfortable at all being suckered because I happen to have a passion for UConn basketball. Or, if I'm some guy in Bloomington,I'll keep buying tickets to Indiana soccer no matter who the hell they are playing because I love the team and I have no choice. Do they really think they can destroy historic rivalries for the sake of power and money and it won't come back to bite them in the a**? Pathetic state of affairs!

I've written about much the same in the past. But I bet fans such as those from the SEC really don't care about it become a hyperbolic charade. It doesn't even matter to them if they are mercenaries. They are still going to cheer on their teams. And that means that anyone who wants to compete against the SEC and B12 and maybe B1G too in any sport is going to have to go along with that mentality.

Reaction Score
Pitino: After winning 5 games in 5 days UConn will be too tired to win the national championship.

Enough said

And he complained all along that Kemba is "not Michael Jordan" while Kemba was being hacked all throughout the BE season.

#1 PA Husky Fan

Diehard Fan of All UConn Sports Teams!
Reaction Score
Pitino and Brey should STFU. UConn was a founding member, had the longest run as an annual title contender of any team in the league, 3 NC's, ..... They can't hold Calhoun's jock, especially Brey!

Reaction Score

Lots and lots of rivalries are effectively dead now, the majority in basketball but some in football as well. It is a real shame. I think this has been taking a huge toll on basketball for a while and it will on football soon. If these conferences go to 16 or 18 then you will have situations in football where schools will play another school in the other division at home like once every 5 or 6 years.

Reaction Score
And, honestly, even if we do move to the ACC or the Big 10, does the destruction of the Big East make it worth it?

No. It doesn't. But the Big East was going to be destroyed -- and the C-7 will be destroyed in the next 20 years at most by football schools leaving the NCAA -- whether we played football or not.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Raise your hand if you tired of listening to this idiot give his opinion on everything.
th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits