PIT IN MY STOMACH | The Boneyard

PIT IN MY STOMACH

Reaction Score
How many recruits and invites to P5 conferences have we lost do to this type of payolla? Nothing can undo any damage done to non cheating schools. We, at UCONN, have felt for a long time that we had to overcome media bias, and not being a glamour school. Now this! Oh yes, do we need a reminder that NC is still skating away on their non class for jocks program?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I get some solace over this. I no longer feel bad about getting Kasongo'd. Although I'll miss that phrase.

Reaction Score
Best part of this is how smug LCC fans have been. Looking down as us and Cincinnati while realizing both schools are deserving of P5 status, yet pretending only they deserved to be in the club.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
D-I-A-L-L-O.
Gotta love the indignation being expressed on the UK message boards. Pitino is a sleaze bag etc. With the coach they have, those comments have me laughing my az2 off.

Reaction Score
I get some solace over this. I no longer feel bad about getting Kasongo'd. Although I'll miss that phrase.
Any idea where he ended up? He ended up enrolling at Tennessee, playing for a year, transferring to Iowa St, and then transferring from there after sitting out. Haven't heard anything since.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Any idea where he ended up? He ended up enrolling at Tennessee, playing for a year, transferring to Iowa St, and then transferring from there after sitting out. Haven't heard anything since.
Nothing either.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
But in the same vein, how many recruits are asking this morning, "Wait, what? How come I'm not worth a hundred K?"
Probably some that are opening up their recruitment. Either they all got money or some got screwed.

Reaction Score
Can we verify 100% that Uconn is free of wrongdoing? Lets knock on wood and hope.

Any way, I would rather miss out on all these recruits who take dollars over ethics than have some player who would make those choices come to uconn. I do not care how that sounds. I want Uconn, more and more, to be a place where players of talent AND character come to play. Even if that means getting a 3 star with character over a 5 star without, don't care.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Can we verify 100% that Uconn is free of wrongdoing? Lets knock on wood and hope.

Any way, I would rather miss out on all these recruits who take dollars over ethics than have some player who would make those choices come to uconn. I do not care how that sounds. I want Uconn, more and more, to be a place where players of talent AND character come to play. Even if that means getting a 3 star with character over a 5 star without, don't care.

Teams that offered money were improved by dirty five star players, which made the team more attractive to the top three and four star recruits that may have gone to schools not willing to offer money.

Reaction Score

No offense Travelman, but it is this type of attitude where you call the 16, 17 and 18 year-old "dirty" and "lacking character" that is a major reason of how we have allowed this sham of major college athletics to continue to thrive in the first place. I do not blame you, as your attitude is the one that is held by most people... but that does not change the fact that you are just flat out wrong.

As much as we, and that includes me, love the romance and pristine view that we have all been sold about the "student athlete" and the virtuousness of college sports, the realty is that it is not the 16, 17 and 18 year-olds who are dirty and lacking character. It is the middle aged, mostly white men, who have set up this system of hypocrisy and exploitation.

In practically every other vocation in this country, the 16, 17 and 18 year-old who possesses a skill marketable enough that billions of dollars can be made off that skill, he would be getting a healthy cut. Only in major college sports is that "against the rules"... except of course that the "rules" of this game were set up by the very people who are exploiting the teenagers with the marketable skills in the first place.

The 5-star kid is the one who is dirty and lacking character? In any other walk of life we would applaud him for being enterprising enough to be out there seeking, even demanding, the true value for his skills.

Never forget... it is not the kids who set up this system of exploitation and greed... it is the adults, who are supposed to be the ones who know better. You and everyone else on here with similar views as yours Travelman should take that into consideration before you go throwing shade at the group who are finally standing up for themselves after being taking advantage of for the last 3 to 4 decades. And before you head down the road of the value of a college scholarship... yes, for the average 3-star prospect, I will give you the argument that a college scholarship is worth their level of talent. But if a 5-star kid is worth 6 or even 7 figures on the open market... then neither you nor I should stand in such harsh judgement of their desire to go out and try to get at least a decent percentage of what they are worth.

In fact, I would go so far as to say that is the way a free market system works, when it has not been artificially fixed by the exploiters at the top... isn't that what we are supposed to espose to here in the United States of America?

And for the record, I am a white middle aged man who has been a huge UConn fan for over 30 years... but I can see this current major collegiate "system" for what it is... a complete and utter sham, set up by those in power (the administrators, coaches, networks, shoe companies and other leeches making money off of this system) to maximize their exploitation of those (the kids) who have none... Never forget that this sham has NOT been created by the teenage athletes in any way, shape or form. That would be the group of people who, you know, actually MAKE THE MONEY.

Reaction Score
Preach, LStudfellow

No offense Travelman, but it is this type of attitude where you call the 16, 17 and 18 year-old "dirty" and "lacking character" that is a major reason of how we have allowed this sham of major college athletics to continue to thrive in the first place. I do not blame you, as your attitude is the one that is held by most people... but that does not change the fact that you are just flat out wrong.

As much as we, and that includes me, love the romance and pristine view that we have all been sold about the "student athlete" and the virtuousness of college sports, the realty is that it is not the 16, 17 and 18 year-olds who are dirty and lacking character. It is the middle aged, mostly white men, who have set up this system of hypocrisy and exploitation.

In practically every other vocation in this country, the 16, 17 and 18 year-old who possesses a skill marketable enough that billions of dollars can be made off that skill, he would be getting a healthy cut. Only in major college sports is that "against the rules"... except of course that the "rules" of this game were set up by the very people who are exploiting the teenagers with the marketable skills in the first place.

The 5-star kid is the one who is dirty and lacking character? In any other walk of life we would applaud him for being enterprising enough to be out there seeking, even demanding, the true value for his skills.

Never forget... it is not the kids who set up this system of exploitation and greed... it is the adults, who are supposed to be the ones who know better. You and everyone else on here with similar views as yours Travelman should take that into consideration before you go throwing shade at the group who are finally standing up for themselves after being taking advantage of for the last 3 to 4 decades. And before you head down the road of the value of a college scholarship... yes, for the average 3-star prospect, I will give you the argument that a college scholarship is worth their level of talent. But if a 5-star kid is worth 6 or even 7 figures on the open market... then neither you nor I should stand in such harsh judgement of their desire to go out and try to get at least a decent percentage of what they are worth.

In fact, I would go so far as to say that is the way a free market system works, when it has not been artificially fixed by the exploiters at the top... isn't that what we are supposed to espose to here in the United States of America?

And for the record, I am a white middle aged man who has been a huge UConn fan for over 30 years... but I can see this current major collegiate "system" for what it is... a complete and utter sham, set up by those in power (the administrators, coaches, networks, shoe companies and other leeches making money off of this system) to maximize their exploitation of those (the kids) who have none... Never forget that this sham has NOT been created by the teenage athletes in any way, shape or form. That would be the group of people who, you know, actually MAKE THE MONEY.

Reaction Score
Teams that offered money were improved by dirty five star players, which made the team more attractive to the top three and four star recruits that may have gone to schools not willing to offer money.
Everybody wants the high character 3 star kids over the "dirty" five star, tool they're getting blown out every night. Then it's "I can't believe how much our players suck need to fire this coach and bring in someone who can recruit."

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Quite comfortable with blaming the adults (Shoe reps, AAU guys, Handlers, Coaches, Agents, etc) over any (usually poor) kid. Yeah, I'll let them skate on this one.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
How many recruits and invites to P5 conferences have we lost do to this type of payolla? Nothing can undo any damage done to non cheating schools. We, at UCONN, have felt for a long time that we had to overcome media bias, and not being a glamour school. Now this! Oh yes, do we need a reminder that NC is still skating away on their non class for jocks program?

I don’t know about any of that, but I wish you well with the pit in your stomach.

Reaction Score

Well, of course it is these middle aged (mostly) men who are morally bankrupt and taking advantage of these kids that caused this situation. It is MOSTLY their fault. But I still think it takes two to tango and it is much easier when your target lacks character as well. Though a lot of it could indeed be due to both the target, the kids, being both naive and also in need of money to support a struggling family. I am sure that narrative is quite common.

Yes, the system is a sham. So, do what they do in Europe and leave UNI for a place of higher learning only and get rid of college sports as it stands now and leave UNI sports as nothing more than intramurals. Create and develop minor league systems where these kids can go through a proper process of getting the skills and training needed to hopefully go pro someday, or at least earn decent money for years to come, as they do in minor league baseball. It is also a sham to think that most of these athletes are at school for anything more than sports. And how many legit good students miss out on great opportunities because of that? After all, there are only so many scholarships.

But, in no way do I think these kids are owed any kind of extra benefits if college sports remain the same, which is likely. Not with sky rocketing UNI prices, these "student athletes" (okay, that is unfair, some are actually students and athletes) get no sympathy from the masses who are deep in debt after 4+ years at UNI. Because these D1 athletes are getting a free ride, often times to great schools, free room, board, food, travel all over the country (and sometimes even internationally) and get exposure not only on campus but on TV and sporting websites. Now what 18 or 20 year old non athlete can say the same? You see? These kids already are getting tons of benefits that, when added up, is quite valuable and very hard to obtain (as a package) at such an age. What about the kids who contribute to their UNI in an academic manner, sometimes in even larger ways than any athlete, who go unheard of? Might they have a claim to some financial reimbursement similar to what is being proposed for these athletes? Yah, doubtful.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom