Pistons building a future around Drummond | The Boneyard

Pistons building a future around Drummond

Status
Not open for further replies.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Meanwhile at Kansas, Embiid averaged roughly the same numbers as Drummond's one and only season, and he went from being a mid-first rounder to being the consensus #1 overall pick, while catapulting over sure-fire and highly touted NBA prospects like Wiggins and Parker. Just goes to show you what hype and general perception does for your program. Embiid will never reach the heights Drummond will reach in his time in the NBA.

Reaction Score
Meanwhile at Kansas, Embiid averaged roughly the same numbers as Drummond's one and only season, and he went from being a mid-first rounder to being the consensus #1 overall pick, while catapulting over sure-fire and highly touted NBA prospects like Wiggins and Parker. Just goes to show you what hype and general perception does for your program. Embiid will never reach the heights Drummond will reach in his time in the NBA.

I dont think many guys are going to reach the heights Andre will reach. Imho in 5 years he`ll be the best center in the league and will be a better version of dwight howard.

Reaction Score
Drummond is a beast. but if he doesn't start hitting 50% of his free throws he will be a liability and unable to complete games, plain and simple.

(Coming from a HUGE supporter, and constant defender on these boards)

Reaction Score
So, I agree with your last point--Drummond will have a better NBA career.

But, there were narratives at play: Drummond came in as a potential #1 pick, and UConn came in as a potential National Champion, and both (relative to those expectations) disappointed. There were concerns about Drummond's motor, too. You can't draft a raw big man if he doesn't have desire or passion. I mean, there were all sorts of quotes about Drummond not really having his heart in basketball (especially in high school). He shouldn't have dropped to 8, but definitely shouldn't have been #1, and it was reasonable for him to tumble some.

Additionally, Embiid had the opposite narrative, and averaged 11.2 ppg (to AD's 10) on 62.6% shooting (to AD's 53.8%), 8.2 rpg (to AD's 7.6), and 2.6 blocks (to AD's 2.7). Those stats look similar, but Embiid did that in 5 fewer minutes per game. Putting it over 40 mpg each, Embiid stats clearly look better:

Embiid: 19.4 ppg, 14rpg, 4.5 bpg
AD: 14.1 ppg, 10.7 rpg, 3.8 bpg

If you just gave Embiid Drummond's minutes: 13.8ppg vs. 10, 10rpg vs. 7.6, 3.2bpg vs. 2.7.

In short: I think there were good reasons why Embiid jumped up to the top of draft board while Drummond slipped--and I don't think it had to do with some nefarious anti-UConn bias.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Drummond is a beast. but if he doesn't start hitting 50% of his free throws he will be a liability and unable to complete games, plain and simple.

(Coming from a HUGE supporter, and constant defender on these boards)

It's a problem, without question, but Shaq made it through a hall of fame career (in which oddly, he probably didn't reach his long term potential). So it won't kill Andre, but if he can get to 65%, he'll be devastating.

He's so young, I think that's a possibility.

Reaction Score
It's a problem, without question, but Shaq made it through a hall of fame career (in which oddly, he probably didn't reach his long term potential). So it won't kill Andre, but if he can get to 65%, he'll be devastating.

He's so young, I think that's a possibility.

Yea, but even shaq is 50%, or 1 pt/possession. That is passable. 30% means the other team can basically guarantee 5-10 possessions/gm under league average PPP, which is devastating. 50% is the number that changes Andre from a great role player to a perennial all-star difference maker type.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Yea, but even shaq is 50%, or 1 pt/possession. That is passable. 30% means the other team can basically guarantee 5-10 possessions/gm under league average PPP, which is devastating. 50% is the number that changes Andre from a great role player to a perennial all-star difference maker type.

Jeez. I didn't realize it was that low.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC