Picking Your Poison | The Boneyard

Picking Your Poison

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
For almost all the usual suspects to win a national championship in WBB, one or two key players must come up big offensively. SC (Wilson), MS St (McCowan & Vivians), Baylor (Brown & Cox), Louisville (Durr), tOSU (Mitchell) and Oregon (Ionescu) must have dominant individual efforts from the regionals on through the finals for their teams to win the National Championship. ND is a bit more balanced, with 4 players who are capable of big games on offense.

Then there is UConn. The Huskies have 6 different players who have lead the team in scoring this season: Lou, Pheesa, Kia, Gabby, Crystal & Z. 5 of the 6 are currently averaging double figures, and Crystal at 9.6 ppg would easily be averaging double figures if she wasn’t playing limited minutes due to shin splints, which appear to be limiting her less and less every game.

Having 6 different players who can “go off” on any given night puts enormous pressure on opposing teams who are trying to defend UConn. In the AAC championship game, UConn’s top two scorers, Lou & Pheesa, were having off nights on offense. No problem. Gabby & Z picked up the slack.

Heading into the Big Dance, there are some ominous signs for all of UConn’s opponents. Crystal seems to have regained her shooting touch over the last few games, so defenders can’t play off her. At the same time, they can’t play up on her because Crystal will beat them off the dribble. A few weeks back, Geno commented that if Gabby makes 52% of her jump shots, UConn is unbeatable. Well, Gabby has started to hit her jumper from the high post again.

Then there is Z, the X-factor. In the past few weeks she has asserted herself in the post, with an array of low post moves, as well as becoming a ferocious offensive rebounder. She is also a very good passer who can step out and bury an open jump shot, and even an occasional 3-pointer.

Over the next two weeks, Geno, CD, Shea & Marissa will work their usual magic, and the Huskies will find another gear as they enter the Big Dance. Lou, Pheesa & Kia will undoubtedly sharpen their games and shooting touch. At the same time, UConn’s suffocating defense, lead by two of the best “shut down” defenders in the country will continue to take opposing teams top scorers out of the game.

It’s been said by many announcers. When you play UConn, you pick your poison. Well you can select either hemlock, cyanide, mercury, arsenic, polonium or strychnine, but whichever one you choose, it’s probably gonna kill ya.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
For almost all the usual suspects to win a national championship in WBB, one or two key players must come up big offensively. SC (Wilson), MS St (McCowan & Vivians), Baylor (Brown & Cox), Louisville (Durr), tOSU (Mitchell) and Oregon (Ionescu) must have dominant individual efforts from the regionals on through the finals for their teams to win the National Championship. ND is a bit more balanced, with 4 players who are capable of big games on offense.

Then there is UConn. The Huskies have 6 different players who have lead the team in scoring this season: Lou, Pheesa, Kia, Gabby, Crystal & Z. 5 of the 6 are currently averaging double figures, and Crystal at 9.6 ppg would easily be averaging double figures if she wasn’t playing limited minutes due to shin splints, which appear to be limiting her less and less every game.

Having 6 different players who can “go off” on any given night puts enormous pressure on opposing teams who are trying to defend UConn. In the AAC championship game, UConn’s top two scorers, Lou & Pheesa, were having off nights on offense. No problem. Gabby & Z picked up the slack.

Heading into the Big Dance, there are some ominous signs for all of UConn’s opponents. Crystal seems to have regained her shooting touch over the last few games, so defenders can’t play off her. At the same time, they can’t play up on her because Crystal will beat them off the dribble. A few weeks back, Geno commented that if Gabby makes 52% of her jump shots, UConn is unbeatable. Well, Gabby has started to hit her jumper from the high post again.

Then there is Z, the X-factor. In the past few weeks she has asserted herself in the post, with an array of low post moves, as well as becoming a ferocious offensive rebounder. She is also a very good passer who can step out and bury an open jump shot, and even an occasional 3-pointer.

Over the next two weeks, Geno, CD, Shea & Marissa will work their usual magic, and the Huskies will find another gear as they enter the Big Dance. Lou, Pheesa & Kia will undoubtedly sharpen their games and shooting touch. At the same time, UConn’s suffocating defense, lead by two of the best “shut down” defenders in the country will continue to take opposing teams top scorers out of the game.

It’s been said by many announcers. When you play UConn, you pick your poison. Well you can select either hemlock, cyanide, mercury, arsenic, polonium or strychnine, but whichever one you choose, it’s probably gonna kill ya.
Wise people choose hemlock! ;) Really good post, O.D.

Reaction Score
Love this post oldude. What UConn is doing in a nutshell is working you to death. When you have the ball, there are no easy passes and very few easy shot attempts. You have to start your offense much further from the goal and a high percentage look is rare. Then on defense, they make you guard the entire floor; and that is when you are not desperately trying to stop transition. So you are not just physically exhausted, but you are mentally ground down. Finally you simply can't duplicate it in practice. All that discipline, conditioning and skill unleashed with remorseless precision. It never stops or takes a play off because they just don't know how any more. Go huskies!

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
Great post. The many strains of poison UConn puts on the floor definitely make them deadly to pretty much everyone.

I would add, from my area of expertise (MSU), that Morgan William proved with 41 vs. Baylor that on rare occasion she can come up really big scoring. Also, Ro Johnson is quite capable of putting up 20+ on a given night.

That said, I don't see any way MSU is competitive with UConn without strong games from the two stars.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Great post. The many strains of poison UConn puts on the floor definitely make them deadly to pretty much everyone.

I would add, from my area of expertise (MSU), that Morgan William proved with 41 vs. Baylor that on rare occasion she can come up really big scoring. Also, Ro Johnson is quite capable of putting up 20+ on a given night.

That said, I don't see any way MSU is competitive with UConn without strong games from the two stars.
I'm surprised you left out Blair Schaefer. While not necessarily someone who can create her own shot, she's proven to be a deadly shooter from 3-pt range if you play off her.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Great post, as always, oldude. But still fearing the teams with the bigs--esp. Baylor and MissSt.

Let's not get carried away about the big ones at MSST and Baylor. They are neither invincible nor all powerful. Outside of Cox, Brown and McCowan have limited offensive range. You deny the post entry pass and you negated a big portion of their offense. Cox can hit the "J" so she needs to be pressured to shot before she sets herself. McCowan gets a lot of her points on putbacks. Our spread offense will force her defend away from the basket. Same for Baylor.

Our guards pressure the ball and play defense better than teams they have seen. Baylor has a new guard running the show. She's a frosh and can be rattled. UConn's Baylor & MSST present big challenges but none we can't meet.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Let's not get carried away about the big ones at MSST and Baylor. They are neither invincible nor all powerful. Outside of Cox, Brown and McCowan have limited offensive range. You deny the post entry pass and you negated a big portion of their offense. Cox can hit the "J" so she needs to be pressured to shot before she sets herself. McCowan gets a lot of her points on putbacks. Our spread offense will force her defend away from the basket. Same for Baylor.

Our guards pressure the ball and play defense better than teams they have seen. Baylor has a new guard running the show. She's a frosh and can be rattled. UConn's Baylor & MSST present big challenges but none we can't meet.
Your comment reminds me just how effective UConn's perimeter defense was in denying SC the ability to easily get the ball into Wilson in the low post. Kia, Crystal and Lou were all over SC's guards, making it extremely difficult for SC to run their offense, forcing TO's and boosting the Huskies to an insurmountable halftime lead.

Reaction Score

I commented in another post a week or so ago... regarding Crystal taking a "lesser role" in the scoring part of the offense... it's all part of a diabolical plan to make future opponents feel they can play off of her as not a "major" scoring threat. Then when the "big games" start, she'll rain down on them with lots of points.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
As usual, I enjoyed your post, my ancient friend. The opponents you listed may have go-to players but UConn has Do Not Pass Go defenders in Kia and Gabby who almost always frustrate and hold these players below their season stat averages. When that happens, these teams have nowhere else to turn for scoring. As you delineate, that's not the case with UConn, which has six players capable of filling the basket.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Wise people choose hemlock! ;) Really good post, O.D.

WISE???:eek::rolleyes:;)
Poison hemlock is very similar, with minor differences in the roots and leaves. The root and the liquid it contains is deadly toxic (the rest of the plant is not as poisonous, but will still make you sick), with similar symptoms to those of water hemlock, but death in this case comes because respiratiry paralysis stops the victim from being able to breathe.
"Water hemlock, of which there are five subspecies is deadly within hours if ingested. Symptoms are seizures, rapid heart rate, frothing at the mouth, and respiratory distress. Death comes via a final, horribly long seizure. Poison hemlock is very similar, with minor differences in the roots and leaves. The root and the liquid it contains is deadly toxic (the rest of the plant is not as poisonous, but will still make you sick), with similar symptoms to those of water hemlock, but death in this case comes because respiratory paralysis stops the victim from being able to breathe."

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Poison hemlock is very similar, with minor differences in the roots and leaves. The root and the liquid it contains is deadly toxic (the rest of the plant is not as poisonous, but will still make you sick), with similar symptoms to those of water hemlock, but death in this case comes because respiratiry paralysis stops the victim from being able to breathe.
"Water hemlock, of which there are five subspecies is deadly within hours if ingested. Symptoms are seizures, rapid heart rate, frothing at the mouth, and respiratory distress. Death comes via a final, horribly long seizure. Poison hemlock is very similar, with minor differences in the roots and leaves. The root and the liquid it contains is deadly toxic (the rest of the plant is not as poisonous, but will still make you sick), with similar symptoms to those of water hemlock, but death in this case comes because respiratory paralysis stops the victim from being able to breathe."
SVC,
It's a bit disconcerting that you are so knowledgeable when it comes to the composition and effects of hemlock.... :confused:

Reaction Score
Then holding the cup to his lips, quite readily and cheerfully Socrates drank off the poison. And hitherto most of us had been able to control our sorrow; but now when we saw him drinking, and saw too that he had finished the draught, we could no longer forbear, and in spite of myself my own tears were flowing fast; so that I covered my face and wept over myself, for certainly I was not weeping over him, but at the thought of my own calamity in having lost such a companion.

And he walked about until, as he said, his legs began to fail, and then he lay on his back, according to the directions, and the man who gave him the poison now and then looked at his feet and legs; and after a while he pressed his foot hard and asked him if he could feel; and he said, no; and then his leg, and so upwards and upwards, and showed us that he was cold and stiff. And he felt them himself, and said: When the poison reaches the heart, that will be the end….

He was beginning to grow cold about the groin, when he uncovered his face, for he had covered himself up, and said (they were his last words)--he said: “Crito, I owe a rooster to Asclepius; will you remember to pay the debt?” The debt shall be paid, said Crito; is there anything else?
There was no answer to this question; but in a minute or two a movement was heard, and the attendants uncovered him; his eyes were set, and Crito closed his eyes and mouth.
Such was the end, Echecrates, of our friend, whom I may truly call the wisest, and most just, and best of all the men whom I have ever known.
Screen Shot 2018-03-08 at 12.15.56 PM.png

Bama fan

Reaction Score
Good toxicology lesson. I really knew absolutely nothing about the subject. I was just being a smart ass! You know... Socrates... smart old dude! Bill and Ted's excellent Adventure. SWIDT :eek::rolleyes:;) back at you!

Bama fan

Reaction Score
Then holding the cup to his lips, quite readily and cheerfully Socrates drank off the poison. And hitherto most of us had been able to control our sorrow; but now when we saw him drinking, and saw too that he had finished the draught, we could no longer forbear, and in spite of myself my own tears were flowing fast; so that I covered my face and wept over myself, for certainly I was not weeping over him, but at the thought of my own calamity in having lost such a companion.

And he walked about until, as he said, his legs began to fail, and then he lay on his back, according to the directions, and the man who gave him the poison now and then looked at his feet and legs; and after a while he pressed his foot hard and asked him if he could feel; and he said, no; and then his leg, and so upwards and upwards, and showed us that he was cold and stiff. And he felt them himself, and said: When the poison reaches the heart, that will be the end….

He was beginning to grow cold about the groin, when he uncovered his face, for he had covered himself up, and said (they were his last words)--he said: “Crito, I owe a rooster to Asclepius; will you remember to pay the debt?” The debt shall be paid, said Crito; is there anything else?
There was no answer to this question; but in a minute or two a movement was heard, and the attendants uncovered him; his eyes were set, and Crito closed his eyes and mouth.
Such was the end, Echecrates, of our friend, whom I may truly call the wisest, and most just, and best of all the men whom I have ever known.
View attachment 29211
Bill and Ted would have loved this!

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score

I think that this is not quite true of Oregon, which is much more balanced than you imply, with the 5 starters averaging between 10 and 19 points/game . The team is of course much better off if Ionescu has a good game, but one of the team's strengths this year has been its ability to weather a bad game offensively from one, and sometimes two, of the starters, including Ionescu, who had a series of so-so games toward the end of the season, if not in the Pac 12 Tournament. The team's "other" point guard, Maite Cazorla, has been a--maybe the-- key factor in several late games, Satou Sabally scored 25 in the overtime victory against UCLA, Ruthy Hebard made 33 straight shots over (I think) a three game stretch late in the season, and Lexi Bando has made her share of big shots as well. (Oregon's two conference losses came with Bando out of the lineup.). Not UConn, but the "pick your poison" comment has been an announcing refrain regarding this team as well.

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
I'm surprised you left out Blair Schaefer. While not necessarily someone who can create her own shot, she's proven to be a deadly shooter from 3-pt range if you play off her.

Good catch. The only reason I didn't mention Blair is because she is mostly devastating offensively to teams with limited talent. MSU's strength this year has been the balance of the top 6 players in terms of experience and ability. They can all score when called upon (with rare exception, Sunday being one of those). Teams that are limited defensively have to pick their poison and Blair or Morgan are usually the ones who draw the least defensive pressure. When she's on from three she can kill a lesser team, and even hurt better teams.

Great all around player, but limited offensively inside the 3 line unless she finds an open jumper or clear lane. Ro is a much more talented all around scorer. Blair's equal from 3, but can create shots in a number of ways.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score

Great post, we also had 5 different players lead in rebounding and 6 in assists over those games.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I think that this is not quite true of Oregon, which is much more balanced than you imply, with the 5 starters averaging between 10 and 19 points/game . The team is of course much better off if Ionescu has a good game, but one of the team's strengths this year has been its ability to weather a bad game offensively from one, and sometimes two, of the starters, including Ionescu, who had a series of so-so games toward the end of the season, if not in the Pac 12 Tournament. The team's "other" point guard, Maite Cazorla, has been a--maybe the-- key factor in several late games, Satou Sabally scored 25 in the overtime victory against UCLA, Ruthy Hebard made 33 straight shots over (I think) a three game stretch late in the season, and Lexi Bando has made her share of big shots as well. (Oregon's two conference losses came with Bando out of the lineup.). Not UConn, but the "pick your poison" comment has been an announcing refrain regarding this team as well.
I stand corrected. My view of the Ducks offense was probably biased after watching them last year in the Bridgeport Regional against UConn.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
For almost all the usual suspects to win a national championship in WBB, one or two key players must come up big offensively. SC (Wilson), MS St (McCowan & Vivians), Baylor (Brown & Cox), Louisville (Durr), tOSU (Mitchell) and Oregon (Ionescu) must have dominant individual efforts from the regionals on through the finals for their teams to win the National Championship. ND is a bit more balanced, with 4 players who are capable of big games on offense....

I did some edits to point out something Geno said last year during the HBO show: the real key is who can create their own shot, of which, only KLS can to that. Gabby, Pheesa, Z are all dependent on receiving passes in the post. Maybe Crystal Dangerfield this year can be added to creating her own shot. This, of course is predicated on a team having lock down defense, which this year, I don't think any team offers that. MSU is significantly "softer" defensively than last year and Morgan William from 2017 NCAA Tournament fame is not the same.
Starting at your top:
SC with Wilson and Harris have done well but they will not beat us. We are in their head. Plus their guard play after Harris is suspect.
MSU has Vivians but with either Kia or Gabby on her, we can minimize that damage and Teira for her wonderful year, can't handle an agile post player so I suspect Z will dominate her.
Louisville is also limited and prone to being offensively challenged at times so again, not really worried about them.
tOSU do any of us really have ANY worries on this team???
Oregon is a good and will have learned by getting hammered by us last year but again, Sabrina is their engine and with Kia, I think we can minimize her and the other players, for all their skills are deficient to UConn.
You left off Texas, which if they hadn't played so well against us, I would immediately dismiss but as they did and have some skilled players in McCarty, Atkins and Higgs plus big post players, must be a consideration....Ok, I considered them and now will dismiss them as they are not fluid offensively at all.

So to me, the real question is can we handle Baylor with lightening quick Alexis Morris at the point, solid post players in Cox, Brown and Cohen. Brown is foul prone so defensively, I know Z and Pheesa will do ok. Gabby for all her quickness still has to deal with Cox who is a very strong shot blocker. That leaves our outside game with KLS, Kia and Crystal Dangerfield to do the damage. Is it causing me sleepless nights, not at all but it also is not a slam dunk. This Baylor team should not be taken lightly (unlike their schedule :rolleyes:) and could be dangerous, operative word-could.

I really do not worry about any other team as we either have already played them or in MSU's case, we not only know their defense is not as intense, we have a revenge motivation and that will drive us. Now that we are in-sync with Z and the group, ND is the next worrisome option, mostly because those kids don't back down even when outgunned against us. But with a healthy KLS, Gabby and a confident Z, I think that game will be double digits.

Reaction Score
For Oregon to advance deep in the tournament, the Ducks will have to play solid defense. Defense is everything in the NCAA Tournament. The Ducks, as was pointed out, are lethal offensively. The good news for Duck fans, is that there has been a marked improvement in their defense, as was on display in the PAC12 Tournament. I believe there will be many "upsets" (per tournament seeding) this year. Specifically, with the Selection Committee's TOP 16.

Reaction Score
I think the best thing that has happened to UCONN's this year is the development of Z. Geno having this post presence when needed will be a great help to UCONN in the tournament. She is playing now, like she has been with UCONN Team the last 3-4 years. To me, she is the "X" (Z) factor to UCONN winning the NCAA Tournament.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Nice OP.
What strikes me is how unusual the Uconn defense is - teams count on screens and pick and rolls and they never play a team that happily switches on every screen and is so good at then realigning the defense with additional off ball switches to get say Crystal off of a post player or Z off a quick guard.

Reaction Score
My mindset is a little different. UConn's defense will always show up in the tourney. The real question I look at is who has the personnel and coach that can limit UConn's quantity and quality of shots. You must have good guards, enough size to battle on the boards and front court players able to run the floor with the Huskies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom