Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It's either Shoemate putting the ball on the ground constantly

or

McCoombs who couldn't block me

McCoombs is killing them because he can't block at all.

Reaction Score
Can't really make his hole read or find the cutback lanes either. Our rb and qb cupboards are pretty bare. Since they also blew Foxx's redshirt too like Nebrich, I would like to see whst he and JJL have back there.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I was working off the assumption that neither of them runs the ball well. I'd like to see more of Foxx but if he can't earn playing time in that backfield... yikes.

Reaction Score
Coach P desperately needs to land a rb in this recruiting class. If Foxx can't get any pt right now things aren't too good. DeLorenzo is redshirting...he is the unknown right now...Shoemate and JJL are graduating. Maybe Hippolite will make some noise when he returns from his injury...maybe not. If they can land a good back in the 2012 class, it is almost a given they will feed him the ball as a freshman.

Reaction Score
In my wildest dreams I never thought our running game would come to this. We averaged 2 yards / carry against Bufallo.

Folks wanted sexy, well you got it....option.....3 QBs.....and we can't pound the out of Bufallo with the OL we have? DeLeone scares the hell out of me.

Reaction Score
Kash Moore and Nick Williams in 3 receiver sets, use one to run the fly sweep on some plays, like ORE State would do with James Rodgers.

I think Shoemate needs to be in as the lone back. He can block and catch.

Reaction Score
Coach P desperately needs to land a rb in this recruiting class. If Foxx can't get any pt right now things aren't too good. DeLorenzo is redshirting...he is the unknown right now...Shoemate and JJL are graduating. Maybe Hippolite will make some noise when he returns from his injury...maybe not. If they can land a good back in the 2012 class, it is almost a given they will feed him the ball as a freshman.

Pretty sure we already got a good back in the 2012 class.

Reaction Score
In my wildest dreams I never thought our running game would come to this. We averaged 2 yards / carry against Bufallo.

Folks wanted sexy, well you got it....option.....3 QBs.....and we can't pound the darn out of Bufallo with the OL we have? DeLeone scares the hell out of me.

We have the same OL coach, not sure how you pin the lack of push from the OL on Deleone

Reaction Score

Folks wanted sexy, well you got it....option.....3 QBs.....and we can't pound the darn out of Bufallo with the OL we have? DeLeone scares the hell out of me.

Got your point and it's legit. However, maybe it needed to come to this to break the one dimensional (run, run,run). In today's college game you have to be able to throw. Maybe this will get the Huskies away from over reliance on ground game.

Reaction Score
Well, I just disagree. In college football you need to be able to run and throw and given that in the vast majority of seasons programs like UCONN will not have NFL caliber QBs, you need a running game to underpin the offense and set up your passing game.

I agree that we became too one dimensional, but my God, we can't run on Bufallo?

Reaction Score
How about Foxx... he's here, Dobbs is still in high school.

Reaction Score
Shoemate is the best RB we have, and I don't think its particularly close. He has a bad habit for fumbling on his first important carry of the year, but hopefully he can be good the rest of the way.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Have heard that JJL has issues with blocking but at this point I like to see anyone get some carries.

Can't really make his hole read or find the cutback lanes either. Our rb and qb cupboards are pretty bare. Since they also blew Foxx's redshirt too like Nebrich, I would like to see whst he and JJL have back there.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Shoemate is the best RB we have, and I don't think its particularly close. He has a bad habit for fumbling on his first important carry of the year, but hopefully he can be good the rest of the way.
Shoemate is not a running back. He has absolutely no RB instincts, he doesn't protect the ball, has poor vision (runs into the blockers instead of reading the hole) and doesn't accelerate/decelerate when going through traffic (to make it easier to avoid the defenders). He often looks like some super athlete who never heard of football being given a shot at playing the game.

I was telling my son tonight that if Shoemate makes it to the combine in the spring, a couple of NFL personnel guys are going to think they've found a steal (after observing his size/speed/strength numbers) and draft him early (likely earlier than Todman was drafted), only to find out down the road that it was a wasted pick.

THC

Reaction Score
I'm still confident DeLorenzo will grab the starting RB position next year and never relinquish it.

Reaction Score
McCombs is better as a runner than he is as a blocker. The O line issues have put a premium on the backs being able to protect and none of them is a stud at that skill. In High School Hypolite was favorably compared to Todman. I think he'll get a lot of PT when he gets back.

Reaction Score
McCombs is better as a runner than he is as a blocker. The O line issues have put a premium on the backs being able to protect and none of them is a stud at that skill. In High School Hypolite was favorably compared to Todman. I think he'll get a lot of PT when he gets back.

JJL plays in third down packages so I have to believe that his blocking is up to par. I saw him with a couple pickups against Vandy, actually. Lets forget blocking for a second, however, and get a back in there who can grind out some yards without dropping the rock. Your tellin' me the JJL I watched riip through our Defense in open practices and the spring game can't do that?

Reaction Score
It's not like he's fumbled just the one time. There's a pattern there. He may be the bigger more versatile back, but if he continually coughs it up, he is not our best back. When he fumbled v. ISU I didn't want to see him get a carry again unles we had a huge lead or a huge deficit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom