Pick Your NCAA Tournament Upsets | The Boneyard

Pick Your NCAA Tournament Upsets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
OK. Here are mine:

Princeton over West Virginia. I think the two Ivys are underrated. Eleven beats six.
Penn (10) beats Washington (7). Doubts about the Pac-12, especially the lower rated.
Louisville (3) beats Oregon State (2). Louisville is surging, and Walz's teams are always dangerous, even with virtually all underclassmen.
Florida State takes Michigan State. Florida State has a lot of talent, and I'm still unconvinced about the Big-10.

Anyone else?

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Would you consider Green Bay over Tennessee to be an upset?

Reaction Score
Would you consider Green Bay over Tennessee to be an upset?

According to the seedings, yes. I'm guessing that "That Team" makes it to the next round... and loses there.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The advantage GB has over a lot of teams that struggled against TN is they love zone defense. The major wins for TN this year and a couple of near losses came against teams that said 'we play man' despite everybody who watched any tape of TN saw that they had no offensive plan against a zone team. TN has some really good athletes that cannot hit water from a boat from 15 ft, but are pretty good at beating their man one on one, which is the only offensive strength TN exhibited. OrSt - we play man with slower than average guards - loss, MsSt - we play man until our coach had a brilliant idea and shifted to zone in the fourth quarter and we came back from 12 down to win a squeaker. GB/TN should be an interesting game. TN/ASU should also be an interesting game - I thought UCLA at the end of the year was probably better than ASU and could have switched seeds and regions.
For Upsets:
TX does not make it to the Elite Eight - BYU might be the one to deny them the sweet sixteen but UCLA will beat them there if they make it.
OK over KY
OSU over ASU
Lou over OrSt
Yeah - I think the 2 seeds are weak except for MD and they are the only one that makes the elite eight.
First one seed to lose SC, second ND, third Baylor - I could see all three losing in the elite eight which would shock the world!

Reaction Score
For 1st round games, I see both Ivy league teams winning. Also I like Chatt. over MSST (love Vivians though). JMU over DePaul and Missouri over BYU.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Baylor over UCONN
Baylor over whichever team makes the final
I did notice that a couple of the ESPN savants said that Baylor would be the first #1-seed team to lose. That surprised me a bit. I think Maryland would challenge Baylor, but I doubt that any of the other #2 seeds will (or would have).

However, I will respectfully pass over your predictions without endorsement.

If (when??) UConn plays Baylor, I would expect them to defend Niya the way they defended a few of the South Carolina players: let her have any jump shot she wants, and deny all of her passing or penetration options. You might see UConn play 10-15 feet off of her. Has anyone tried that defensive approach? How did it work? How did Kim counter it?

Another option against Baylor would be the same 3-2 zone that UConn used in the first game of the season against Ohio State, which stopped Kelsey Mitchell pretty effectively, not only as a scorer but also as a passer. It will be more challenging with Baylor because they have more front-court strength than the Buckeyes, but it might still work.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I did notice that a couple of the ESPN savants said that Baylor would be the first #1-seed team to lose. That surprised me a bit. I think Maryland would challenge Baylor, but I doubt that any of the other #2 seeds will (or would have).

However, I will respectfully pass over your predictions without endorsement.

If (when??) UConn plays Baylor, I would expect them to defend Niya the way they defended a few of the South Carolina players: let her have any jump shot she wants, and deny all of her passing or penetration options. You might see UConn play 10-15 feet off of her. Has anyone tried that defensive approach? How did it work? How did Kim counter it?

Another option against Baylor would be the same 3-2 zone that UConn used in the first game of the season against Ohio State, which stopped Kelsey Mitchell pretty effectively, not only as a scorer but also as a passer. It will be more challenging with Baylor because they have more front-court strength than the Buckeyes, but it might still work.

Niya Johnson is a very good shooter from 15 - 18 feet. Multiple teams have played off of her and she has knocked down shots consistently...she is shooting 49.2% for the season. She is not a three point threat but Mulkey does not want her team shooting a lot of threes, anyway. Baylor basically has two PGs on the floor with Jones and Johnson, and a third when Kristy Wallace is in the game.

Reaction Score
Baylor over UCONN
Baylor over whichever team makes the final
upload_2016-3-16_12-16-34.png

Reaction Score
OK. Here are mine:

Princeton over West Virginia. I think the two Ivys are underrated. Eleven beats six.
Penn (10) beats Washington (7). Doubts about the Pac-12, especially the lower rated.
Louisville (3) beats Oregon State (2). Louisville is surging, and Walz's teams are always dangerous, even with virtually all underclassmen.
Florida State takes Michigan State. Florida State has a lot of talent, and I'm still unconvinced about the Big-10.

Anyone else?
I'll go with yours.

Reaction Score
One more--- Albany over Florida! You're all authorized to take that to your local bank....:):):)

Reaction Score
. . . Florida State takes Michigan State. Florida State has a lot of talent, and I'm still unconvinced about the Big-10.

FSU and MSU are in different regionals. If you meant Miss. St over Mich St. I would
agree only because the game will be in Starkville.

In two 6/11 games, I'll take Purdue over Oklahoma and JMU to upset DePaul.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
FSU and MSU are in different regionals. If you meant Miss. St over Mich St. I would
agree only because the game will be in Starkville.

In two 6/11 games, I'll take Purdue over Oklahoma and JMU to upset DePaul.

I will take anyone over OU any day of the week.

Reaction Score
MD over ND because ND only has 1 good BIG and MD has 3/4.
MD has 3 good G's matching ND.
? is can MD play defense for 40 minutes?

theOSU over SoCar because they can score a boat load of points, SoCar can't. theOSU could score 90!
Which team for the OSU shows up, the one most of the season or late in the season!

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
According to the seedings, yes. I'm guessing that "That Team" makes it to the next round... and loses there.

I actually find the 7-10 matchups to be very compelling this year. Each one pits a power-5 team against a mid-major:
  • #7 BYU vs. #10 Missouri @ Austin
  • #7 Washington vs. #10 Penn @ Maryland
  • #7 Tennessee vs. #10 Green Bay @ Tempe
  • #7 Oklahoma St vs. #10 St. Bonaventure @ Corvallis
The BYU-Missouri game is the only one of these where the mid-major is favored by seeding. However, Penn gets to play just across the state line, while Washington has to traverse 3 time zones. I have a feeling that at least 2 of these games, and possibly 3, will go the 10's way.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Bliss

Mizzou Ballyhoo
Reaction Score
For 1st round games, I see both Ivy league teams winning. Also I like Chatt. over MSST (love Vivians though). JMU over DePaul and Missouri over BYU.

I agree that my Missouri home girls will triumph over BYU. Goooooooo Tigers!

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
And yet OU is the only team not named Baylor to beat Texas this year.

I was just commenting on my joy anytime that OU loses, not on which team can beat another.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom