Pick your 2020 Champion. Today 4-05-20 would have been the Championship Game in New Orleans. | The Boneyard

Pick your 2020 Champion. Today 4-05-20 would have been the Championship Game in New Orleans.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Notre Dame :)

Reaction Score
South Carolina, I think the inside combo of Boston and Mad Kiki would have carried them to the championship game where I have them upsetting Baylor, Boston would have been my pick for MOP of the tournament.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
The Winner of Oregon and Baylor if both got there. IMO Oregon would have won the Championship. Oregon had so many experienced players and IMO the best player this year with the ability to carry a team to the Championship in Sabrina Ionescu. A match up against Ty Harris against Sabrina would have been interesting as Ty Harris is why So Carolina had only one loss and she's So Carolina's go to player.

Reaction Score
Coin toss for me Oregon or South Carolina. Heart says South Carolina, head says Oregon.

Reaction Score
Here's how it would have played out....

Baylor and South Carolina cruise to the Final Four.

Louisville edges Maryland in a great game in Fort Wayne.

UConn turns the tables on Oregon in Portland, denying Ionescu her championship shot.

Louisville defeats Baylor in one semifinal. Kylee Shook holds her own inside against Cox and the Louisville defense forces Baylor's perimeter players into bad shots late in the shot clock. Louisville by four.

In the other semifinal, UConn is hot from outside and South Carolina's freshmen wilt under the late game pressure. UConn wins by five.

In today's final, both UConn and Louisville play at a high level the entire game. Neither team can put together a run. Louisville leads by three with 8 seconds left, but Geno designs a play that gets Makurat a three at the buzzer to send it to overtime. Game tied as time runs down in overtime. Shook blocks a late Williams layup to send it to a second overtime.

Gotta get back to the TV to see how it ends......

Reaction Score
I would pick Oregon due to skill and experience. Their big 3 just won 3 of the 5 starting positions on the Hoophall Hall of Fame team with Ionescu winning her 3rd consecutive Lieberman Point Guard of the year award (Sabrina was also the unanimous Player of the Year) and Ruthy winning her 2nd Katrina McClain award for the top power forward and Satou winning her first Cheryl Miller award for top small forward. With their improved D (only allowing 1 team in their last 19 games to score even 70, #13 Arizona in an 18 point Duck win) lead by Minyon's tenacious D. They had added depth as Satou's 6'5" sister Nyara (former 2 time FIBA U18 Euro Tourney MVP for her german team) was gearing up to play in the NCAA's. I couple their experience with South Carolina's youth eventually either hitting a wall or feeling the pressure of the moment, I have Oregon winning their first title!

Reaction Score
Sabrina will be on Canzano later today. 1:30 pm Pacific time. 750 the game. Her and Sue Bird are the only Lieberman 3-peaters. Pretty Special.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I believe Oregon but do think Baylor and SC would have given them a great game.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Hard to say but lean Oregon. I think the top 4 were the only ones with a realistic shot.

Oregon had the best offense hands down in the country with three truly elite players at their position, a slew of really good shooters and a stalwart defender in Moore. They were simply playing at another level at the end of the year. I dont there's any doubt they make the Final Four, whether their opponent was UCONN or anyone else. Homecourt advantage in Portland would be huge and they were thumping everyone.

I think the team best fit to beat them was Baylor. Richards played an amazing defensive game vs Sabrina a year prior, and Cox likely shuts down Hebard. Sabally/shooters would need to come up big. Baylor is streaky though and wasnt playing it's best basketball at the end of the year. If Baylor lost in regionals, Oregon rolls over whoever their Final Four opponent was. Even so, head to head Oregon is still the favorite but it's a closer call.

On the other side of the bracket, if it is Louisville/Maryland, I think Maryland would be better suited to compete with South Carolina since they had great defense and were better offensively. Louisville was more of a grind it out team this year, and I dont think they'd be able to keep up with SC or slow them down enough. Maryland had a shot to upset the Gamecocks even though SC would be the strong favorite.

South Carolina vs. Baylor rematch wouldve been epic in the title game. South Carolina was just really solid on both ends and more predictable IMO. Baylor was a little more up and down but was a better defensive team and incredibly dangerous if their big 3 of Cooper, Cox and Smith were all on. They were also the most inconsistent of the top 3, so have to take that into consideration. I'd probably give Baylor the slight edge due to overall experience and revenge factor, but it is more of a toss up.

South Carolina vs Oregon is advantage Oregon. I dont see SC's defense being able to slow down Sabrina. You have to cut off the head of the snake and I dont think anyone on SC wouldve been able to do that. Would be a good game but Oregon is the favorite.

I think both Oregon and Baylor beat Maryland, but Maryland was a good dark horse title pick this year. They definitely had the talent to go toe to toe with both teams, so it isnt cut and dry, but they're an outside option.

So in summary:
45% chance Oregon
25% chance Baylor
20% chance South Carolina
8% Maryland
2% Field

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics