Pick one thing to change... | The Boneyard

Pick one thing to change...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
...on ofence that might improve our scoring.

I'll start:

Hamilton always sets up on the left side of the hoop and dives toward the foul line. Put him on the right side of the hoop and drive the baseline with his strong right hand dribble.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score

I'll start:

Hamilton always sets up on the left side of the hoop and dives toward the foul line. Put him on the right side of the hoop and drive the baseline with his strong right hand dribble.

Energy/smarts for a full game

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
an experienced true point guard

Reaction Score
We need to focus on fundamentals in practice. Gibbs can't break down his defender consistently off the dribble when a team goes man2man. We need to do whatever is necessary to create space for Gibbs when the opportunity arises. With Gilbert this issue won't be as much of a concern. I want to see a solid pick on the perimeter when circumstances permit. Maybe using Miller on the pick and roll with Gibbs and hopefully eventually Adams. Fundamentals are key. You have to actually practice this stuff. The ball handler and the guy setting the pick actually need to EXECUTE the play. Isn't KO's 4th principal execution? You don't just wake up 1 day and wala we witness an execution bonanza! Gibbs has faults in his game but I want to do anything and everything to free up his shot. You have to know how to use the pick and set the pick with purpose. It is just a simple thing that if done properly can create a more flowing offense with purpose. Thanks for the great post! This is just a thought but I am sure some great hoops minds will have great insight! As the competition amps up (SMU) we will need to be fully functional or we will lose.

Last edited:

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score

I'll start:

It's not much of a secret that Hamilton prefers going left (almost exclusively). Now if you are suggesting he develop the skills to go right, I would agree with you.

As an aside, Purvis almost exclusively drives right. Having a strong preference to a direction is easy to scout and defend.

Reaction Score
There's a lot of things, but I feel like we play with little to no urgency on offense. We get the ball over half court, our PG dribbles around waiting for a high screen that comes slowly. Defense reacts. PG tries to penetrate or instead weaves w/ either the 2G or the SF. That player gets a handoff. Pump fakes, jab step, pump fakes. Then they either take a contested jump shot, drive into 3 people, or wait to get a bail out pass to someone else. I swear that is our offense 80% of the time. There's no urgency, there's no quick motion, there's no quick ball movement. Everything takes place 25 feet from the hoop. Watch Kansas or Okla or any "good" team. The ball moves quickly, the screens are set with purpose, and players move with precision and cut hard. We don't do that. There's lots of standing around waiting for someone to make a play. Some will say this is a "pro-set" but I call it trash. Our offense basically depends on someone shooting well from 3 to keep us in it. Last game it was Miller and Gibbs the previous game it was Gibbs carrying us with contested 3's late in the game. We do not have a great breakdown player like Bazz, Boat, or Kemba to just bail us out every possession but it seems KO's offense is providing that opportunity. Unfortunately, giving DHam free rein to be that guy often results in poor shot selection and bail out jump passes late in the clock.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
There's a lot of things, but I feel like we play with little to no urgency on offense. We get the ball over half court, our PG dribbles around waiting for a high screen that comes slowly. Defense reacts. PG tries to penetrate or instead weaves w/ either the 2G or the SF. That player gets a handoff. Pump fakes, jab step, pump fakes. Then they either take a contested jump shot, drive into 3 people, or wait to get a bail out pass to someone else. I swear that is our offense 80% of the time. There's no urgency, there's no quick motion, there's no quick ball movement. Everything takes place 25 feet from the hoop. Watch Kansas or Okla or any "good" team. The ball moves quickly, the screens are set with purpose, and players move with precision and cut hard. We don't do that. There's lots of standing around waiting for someone to make a play. Some will say this is a "pro-set" but I call it trash. Our offense basically depends on someone shooting well from 3 to keep us in it. Last game it was Miller and Gibbs the previous game it was Gibbs carrying us with contested 3's late in the game. We do not have a great breakdown player like Bazz, Boat, or Kemba to just bail us out every possession but it seems KO's offense is providing that opportunity. Unfortunately, giving DHam free rein to be that guy often results in poor shot selection and bail out jump passes late in the clock.
I have to disagree that the problem is energy. We are stuck with a group of perimeter players with below average penetration ability. I wish Purvis and Hamilton were better at getting by the initial defender, but it's not something they're going to develop mid-season.

The lack of ability to get in the lane and collapse the defense is just killing us.

Reaction Score
I just want someone to come off a screen hard and drive to the hoop for once. Like these players must know that driving opens up shots for everyone. I wouldn't care if we got a few turnovers in the process, just go for it.

Reaction Score
Relax. Stop choking, stop panicking. Go up for your shot with confidence. Don't fling it up there.

I feel like it takes awhile for players to learn to be decisive when they shoot, and to be confident that their form is right. Remember how Giffey struggled from 3 for 3 years because he rushed shots and didn't set his feet. Giffey was a dead-eye shooter when he was set.

Hamilton and Gibbs in particular need to shoot with confidence. No hesitation.

Rodney confounds me because he seems to shoot rushed shots that go in, and in form shots that miss, but when he starts missing a lot, he starts pressing and hurting the team.

Just relax.

That's my best advice.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
A bonafide leader who can handle the ball and give us 18/7/5 a night.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Losing 10+ games each season being the norm. Even in 2014, had we lost the title game, we'd have had 10 losses.

Reaction Score
Find someone who can demand the ball in the high post against the zone and who is capable of either making the 15 footer or can reverse the ball or go high/low. they literally never do this and end up playing the horseshoe offense for 30 seconds until a guard either fires up a three or takes it unsuccessfully one on three.

Adams needs to be good, really good, in terms of running the offense and getting people the ball in places they can score. Gibbs is an awful PG, he has no real court sense and only adds value when he is making shots. Purvis is streaky and also a bad ball handler. Hamilton is not a PG and has seen his decision-making deteriorate as teams pack in the zones against him. Both he and Adams would benefit from a year of shooting 1,000 three pointers a day.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Wrap up Brimah's fingers and send him in. Hell they did it to JPP and look what he did.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
KO watch this video

9780470149768_p0_v1_s192x300.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics