Phoenix Mercury @ Seattle Storm - 8/26/18 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Phoenix Mercury @ Seattle Storm - 8/26/18

Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Really entertaining game, Seattle definitely looked much more composed than Phoenix. This loss is on Griner IMO...she was very passive on both sides of the court and didn’t seem focused until the last 2 minutes. When you’re 6-9 and being guarded by someone 5 inches shorter, you need to want the ball and you have to post hard. On the flip side, Seattle abused her in the first half when players switched. She got caught in no man’s land a few times and gave up a long jumper to her defender or got beat off the dribble. She just looked half asleep defensively and work hard. Howard and Stewart are tough matchups, but Griner has to be more aggressive. She had just 4 boards today, compared to 13 for Bonner and 8 for Taurasi. Really frustrating to watch.

On the flip side, DT needs to reign in her emotions. Calls will he missed, but she nearly had a meltdown in the 3rd and let it get to her big time. If it was a less talented player cussing out the refs and taunting them when she finally gets a call, they would’ve been tossed. She did however work her butt off. Same with Bonner. They did their part.

In regards to the T at the end of the first..I found it comical that Lobo said the refs should have walked away. No mention of how DT could have walked away but instead was yelling at the refs and being restrained by Griner. You could visibly see her swearing at the refs and pushing Griner away so she could confront them. That is 100% a technical foul, but just because the half is over the refs shouldn’t call it? No. It’s a T, and the refs correctly called it.

Seattle played a really strong game. Great performances by their big 4. Everyone was so unselfish and they maximized taking advantage of player switches and getting the ball to the right player. Their bench didn’t score but maintained when their starters were out. They’re definitely the best team at this point in time. Phoenix has their work cut out for them if they want to win this. They need to get some players in foul trouble. Here’s a thought...feed Griner and make the much shorter Howard defend her or get her into foul trouble. Next game is a must win.

Reaction Score
I watched the entire game and found it to be entertaining. Seattle's big 4 looked terrific. Phoenix isn't too shabby either. I had forgotten how good Bonner was since the last time I saw her play. I do think Phoenix was doing too much talking and looking to the officials trying to get some calls. I saw a couple that were missed, but they seemed to do it to a point where they became distracted and got out of synch. Still a great comeback by the Mercury and excellent win for Seattle.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
You know who scares me for Phoenix?

Leilani. The Storm tried to take her inside (as she's real short) and she made a few miscues....but what a quick, terrif penetrating guard she is.

If the Merc better understood better how to use her, she could free up Griner and Diana big time...

Reaction Score
I had forgotten how good Bonner was since the last time I saw her play.

Her moving to the PF position after Sancho Lyttle went down with an ACL has been huge for them. It’s another one of those “stumble into something good” things. It’s been so good, I wonder if they stick with this lineup next year.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Two close and high-scoring games today. Seattle is very tough at home.
Seattle is very tough anywhere - they ended up with identical 13-4 records home and away (record for away victories I believe.) Phoenix on the other hand had the second best road record at 11-6 but barely was above .500 at home at 9-8 tying the Lynx for worst home record of any playoff team.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This loss is on Griner IMO...she was very passive on both sides of the court and didn’t seem focused until the last 2 minutes.
It seemed like she missed a lot of open looks. Definitely not her best game.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
In any series, it's paramount to win that first game. It sets the tone for the rest of the series for both teams. A game 1 win takes the pressure off the winning team, and adds some to the losing team. Now the loser has 4 games to win 3. A game 2 win is a must. The odds of winning the series greatly diminishes with an 0-2 start, and puts the 0-2 team's back firmly against the wall. Every game after that is of course a must win game. Who wins game 2? Game 1 came down to the last possession. Neither team held back their "hole card". The Storm held a 13 pt lead going into the 4th quarter, but held on to win by 3. Phoenix opened the playoffs
with a home win over the Wings before traveling cross country to eliminate Connecticut, then taking another cross country flight to Seattle to begin the semifinals. If there was any fatigue, Phoenix didn't show it in the fourth quarter, outscoring Seattle 20-12 and forcing the game to be decided on the last possession.

After game 2, the series shifts to the valley of the sun. The Mercury's BIG 3 (Taurasi, Griner & Bonner) came to play Sunday. They combined for 65 of the team's 87 points. Reserve guard Briann January was the only other other Mercury player to score in double figures (10). Those 3 are going to have to step up BIG again in game 2 - Tuesday (28th) 10: 00 pm EDT - ESPN2. I think Phoenix comes out running and gunning from the tip. They can't afford to go down 2-0.
I like Seattle in Game 2. :cool:

bballnut90

Reaction Score
In any series, it's paramount to win that first game. It sets the tone for the rest of the series for both teams. A game 1 win takes the pressure off the winning team, and adds some to the losing team. Now the loser has 4 games to win 3. A game 2 win is a must. The odds of winning the series greatly diminishes with an 0-2 start, and puts the 0-2 team's back firmly against the wall. Every game after that is of course a must win game. Who wins game 2? Game 1 came down to the last possession. Neither team held back their "hole card". The Storm held a 13 pt lead going into the 4th quarter, but held on to win by 3. Phoenix opened the playoffs
with a home win over the Wings before traveling cross country to eliminate Connecticut, then taking another cross country flight to Seattle to begin the semifinals. If there was any fatigue, Phoenix didn't show it in the fourth quarter, outscoring Seattle 20-12 and forcing the game to be decided on the last possession.

After game 2, the series shifts to the valley of the sun. The Mercury's BIG 3 (Taurasi, Griner & Bonner) came to play Sunday. They combined for 65 of the team's 87 points. Reserve guard Briann January was the only other other Mercury player to score in double figures (10). Those 3 are going to have to step up BIG again in game 2 - Tuesday (28th) 10: 00 pm EDT - ESPN2. I think Phoenix comes out running and gunning from the tip. They can't afford to go down 2-0.
I like Seattle in Game 2. :cool:

Griner didn't come to play...she needs to next game if Phoenix is going to win. Phoenix can't let the refs get to them, they became more consumed with complaining about calls rather than running their offense and playing to win. Defensively they have to do a better job of handling switches and closing out on shooters, especially Stewart. Give Howard looks from 15-20 feet, but close out on Loyd/Stewart/Bird. I don't expect Seattle to shoot as well next game as they did yesterday. Offensively, Griner has to be more involved and needs to post hard and demand the ball. She can't shy away from physical contact and she needs to be aggressive going for rebounds. She has a bad habit of trying to tip out rebounds with one hand instead of going up with 2. I don't expect that to change overnight, but Phoenix really needs a lot more from her if they will win this series. Fortunately for them, Griner is capable of dominating Seattle (had games of 29/10 and 25/6/7 assists this year) so they know she's capable.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Griner didn't come to play...she needs to next game if Phoenix is going to win. Phoenix can't let the refs get to them, they became more consumed with complaining about calls rather than running their offense and playing to win. Defensively they have to do a better job of handling switches and closing out on shooters, especially Stewart. Give Howard looks from 15-20 feet, but close out on Loyd/Stewart/Bird. I don't expect Seattle to shoot as well next game as they did yesterday. Offensively, Griner has to be more involved and needs to post hard and demand the ball. She can't shy away from physical contact and she needs to be aggressive going for rebounds. She has a bad habit of trying to tip out rebounds with one hand instead of going up with 2. I don't expect that to change overnight, but Phoenix really needs a lot more from her if they will win this series. Fortunately for them, Griner is capable of dominating Seattle (had games of 29/10 and 25/6/7 assists this year) so they know she's capable.

Griner can't "dominate" if they don't give her the ball. Griner only took 12 shots (and was double teamed every time she got the ball), making 6. Bonner and Taurasi took 35 shots collectively. They weren't looking for Griner on the block. The team only took 65 shots. Bonner and Dee got 21 of the team's 33 rebounds. Griner had 4. The shots she changed and the intimidation factor she created did not show up in the box score. The numbers may not indicate she came to play, her teammates would beg to differ. Can she do better, yes. No argument there. Phoenix HC Sandy Brondello has to insist that Griner get more touches. Kiah Stokes didn't score when she was in the game because they didn't give her the ball. They didn't look for her, and they weren't told to. You can demand the ball all you want. If they don't give it to you, then what?!? BTW..........No way Phoenix wins without Griner. ;)

I hear what you are saying, BUT......................when Dee is in rhythm and bringing the ball down court, comes to a jump stop, and is stroking 3's effortlessly (and they go in), she's not looking for Griner down low!!! Neither is Bonner. Again..........Bonner and Dee = 35 FGA combined. Head bang

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
I loved the game, but found it sad to see KML’s condition. Reminded me of Pablo Sandoval (I’m a Giants fan). Great talent undercut by being out of shape. Too bad, I used to love watching her play at UConn.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Griner can't "dominate" if they don't give her the ball. Griner only took 12 shots (and was double teamed every time she got the ball), making 6. Bonner and Taurasi took 35 shots collectively. They weren't looking for Griner on the block. The team only took 65 shots. Bonner and Dee got 21 of the team's 33 rebounds. Griner had 4. The shots she changed and the intimidation factor she created did not show up in the box score. The numbers may not indicate she came to play, her teammates would beg to differ. Can she do better, yes. No argument there. Phoenix HC Sandy Brondello has to insist that Griner get more touches. Kiah Stokes didn't score when she was in the game because they didn't give her the ball. They didn't look for her, and they weren't told to. You can demand the ball all you want. If they don't give it to you, then what?!? BTW.....No way Phoenix wins without Griner. ;)

I hear what you are saying, BUT.......when Dee is in rhythm and bringing the ball down court, comes to a jump stop, and is stroking 3's effortlessly (and they go in), she's not looking for Griner down low!!! Neither is Bonner. Again.....Bonner and Dee = 35 FGA combined. Head bang

Griner wasn't posting hard or working to get involved in the offense. That's on her. She's more the capable of doing so, as evidenced by her 20ppg average this year. DT and January will 100% get her the ball if she's in a good position down low, both are unselfish players. DT's shot selection wasn't the best yesterday, but she no doubt would've gotten the ball to Griner if she established position inside and was a better option to score. Even if she is getting double teamed and can't get entry passes, she still should be posting so that it draws the 2nd defender which leaves a different perimeter player open.

Defensively she just wasn't intimidating, especially in the first half...Seattle got several layups with Griner nowhere to be found because she got caught in no man's land when Howard was pulled out to the perimeter which left the lane wide open, or she was switched on a smaller guard who'd shoot if she didn't close out or beat her off the dribble if she did.

Rebounding wise, she doesn't box out and goes up with 1 hand to tip the ball instead of aggressively going up with 2 hands. She's bigger, stronger and longer than anyone on the court...she needs to pursue the boards harder. She has the skills to be the most dominant center in the league...she just needs to bring the effort.

I do agree, no way Phoenix wins without Griner. They need her to bring a better effort and show up this next game or they'll go down 0-2.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I loved the game, but found it sad to see KML’s condition. Reminded me of Pablo Sandoval (I’m a Giants fan). Great talent undercut by being out of shape. Too bad, I used to love watching her play at UConn.
Shekinna Stricklen is still making threes, but she looks 30 pounds heavier than she was last year. Do the Sun's fans see it?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom