Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction Score
uconncomp.jpg

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Quite a battle. Not sure what's ailing the Lynx - maybe just old age - but they are getting pushed by everyone, and losing games they wouldn't have lost in years past...

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Minny tied it up, then Dee led Phoenix on an 8-0 run. She gets up for playing against Maya.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
maybe just old age

Haven't added much to the roster since Maya (of course w/ the exception of getting Fowles through a forced trade). I don't think Coach Reeve has much interest in developing young players. At some point they are going to have to turn over the roster. It's not completely inconceivable that they could lose Augustus, Whalen and Brunson all at once.

Reaction Score
95-85 PHX final

Taurasi 29 pts, 4 reb, 6 ast, 1 stl, 1 blk

Moore 25 pts, 2 reb, 2 ast

Lynx now 2-4 on the season

lynxlosses4min.jpg

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Nice duel between former UConn stars. Griner and Bonner were good as well for Phoenix while I was watching off and on (college softball World Series going on at the same time).

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Haven't added much to the roster since Maya (of course w/ the exception of getting Fowles through a forced trade). I don't think Coach Reeve has much interest in developing young players. At some point they are going to have to turn over the roster. It's not completely inconceivable that they could lose Augustus, Whalen and Brunson all at once.
I was talking with @MilfordHusky about this the other day - Minny has not had good draft position in the longest time, but unlike LA, they have done almost nothing to get better from free agency or from trades (except for Fowles which was huge).

LA on the other hand has done loads. They had Tolliver for about 8 years then let her go to Washington and have added in Sims, Gray, Carson, and Pondexter, and also nabbed a terrific rookie from Russia in Vadeeva (if she plays). I'm sure I'm missing something for LA but point is they have made moves and gotten better and younger. Minny has done zippo for years except for Fowles and Robinson... and they let Montgomery go, who's good enough to be a starter for Atlanta...

Reaction Score
The biggest loss for Minnesota was Natasha Howard, who is having a great year starting for the 5-1 Seattle Storm.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The biggest loss for Minnesota was Natasha Howard, who is having a great year starting for the 5-1 Seattle Storm.
Natasha was an ok player for 4 years, including 2 in Minnesota, but she is flourishing in Seattle. She's averaging 12.5 ppg, more than double her career average. She's possibly the MIP.

Reaction Score
I thought she was better than okay in Minnesota. Too good to let go.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I was talking with @MilfordHusky about this the other day - Minny has not had good draft position in the longest time, but unlike LA, they have done almost nothing to get better from free agency or from trades (except for Fowles which was huge).

LA on the other hand has done loads. They had Tolliver for about 8 years then let her go to Washington and have added in Sims, Gray, Carson, and Pondexter, and also nabbed a terrific rookie from Russia in Vadeeva (if she plays). I'm sure I'm missing something for LA but point is they have made moves and gotten better and younger. Minny has done zippo for years except for Fowles and Robinson... and they let Montgomery go, who's good enough to be a starter for Atlanta...
By winning championships, Minnesota has been in a poor draft position for 7 years. Los Angeles has experienced that, but only in the past few years. Until Agler arrived, L.A. was a talented team with big name players that rather consistently under-achieved.

Of all the acquisitions, Fowles was the biggest (no pun intended). Any time you get the league MVP for nothing, it's like stealing. They brought back Montgomery, and she was a key bench player and starter when Whalen was out. But she had an opportunity to go to Atlanta, her new home town, and left via free agency. They picked up Plenette Pierson and Jia Perkins, the former Texas Tech duo, both of whom helped last year, but both retired. They had Natasha Howard, who did pretty well for 2 years, but now looks like a budding star in Seattle. They had Anna Cruz, who was pretty good in 2015. Lynette Kizer had a couple of good years in Indiana. Let's see how she does this year. Temi Fagbenle hasn't had much of a career yet, so my expectations for her are not high. Alexis Jones hasn't done much in the pros yet, but she was great in high school and good in college. She has potential, but needs to reach it. Danielle Robinson has averaged almost 10 ppg in a 7-year career. Let's see what she does. Perhaps the biggest problem for Minnesota is that both Augustus and Whalen are way below their career averages. In terms of adding young talent, Alexis Jones seems like the best candidate.

Regarding Los Angeles, they got Chelsea Gray, but had to give up a draft pick that became Jonquel Jones to get her. That's about an even swap. Alana Beard is a great defensive player, but she's 36 years old and hasn't averaged over 8.5 ppg in the last 6 seasons (her high was 19.2 in 2006). Gray has improved considerably over 2 years. She was a very good college player, but averaged about 6.5 ppg her first 2 years in the pros and had a nasty injury in college. Then she jumped to over 15 ppg the past 1+ seasons. Gray shared time with Jasmine Thomas, so Connecticut found her expendable. Carson is a decent player, but not a star. She has a career average of 7.6 ppg on 41% shooting and is nearly 32 years old. Sims had 2 good years in Tulsa, but Skylar was the future star there, so they traded her to L.A. for a draft pick (who became Alisha Gray, the ROY). Vadeeva has a ton of potential, but we don't know how good she'll be or if she'll ever decide to play in the W. I think the keys here are that L.A. needed guards and was able to find 2 teams with talented players in crowded back courts (Tulsa/Dallas and Connecticut) who were willing to let them go. Odyssey was the more successful player when traded, but the potential in Chelsea was visible. Both of those moves worked out very well for Los Angeles.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Lynx have als0 had a tough early schedule with 7 games in 14 days to start the season with 4 of the games on the road. It has not given the coaches any chance to practice and work on issues. I think Robinson is going to be critical but is just getting used to her teammates and they to her.
(Schedule was 2 home, three eastern road games, home for Phoenix and then off to LA for Sunday.)

Reaction Score
She averaged about 5.5 ppg and 3.0 rpg in 13 mpg over 2 seasons. Her stats dropped from 2016 to 2017.

Natasha Howard - WNBA.com - Official Site of the WNBA

Everything isn’t about stats, especially for players coming off the bench. I watch every game and could tell she had what it took on both sides of the ball to be a future starter for the Lynx. To lose her was a biggest disappointment of the Lynx off season.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Everything isn’t about stats, especially for players coming off the bench. I watch every game and could tell she had what it took on both sides of the ball to be a future starter for the Lynx. To lose her was a biggest disappointment of the Lynx off season.
They traded her for the 17th pick in 2018. Minnesota chose the big Korean JiSu Park, who wound up elsewhere. Looks like a very bad trade for Minnesota. Looks like a bad trade, even relative to her performance in Minnesota.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom