Philly Inquirer: Sources say Rutgers telling recruits RU to Big 10 sooner rather than later | The Boneyard

Philly Inquirer: Sources say Rutgers telling recruits RU to Big 10 sooner rather than later

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
On a related note sources say I have plans to triple my salary sooner than later.

Reaction Score
Rutgers is selling recruits on the fact that the Big East will be at 10 teams soon, so it will be the only true Big10 conference. Classic mix up.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
And East Carolina has been telling recruits for the past 6 years that they are about to join the Big East...and we all know how that has turned out.

Reaction Score
Yeah and Syracuse has been saying for years that they are committed to the Big East. So, no you really shouldn't believe this kind of stuff.

Reaction Score
"Sources say Rutgers has been telling recruits it plans on being in the Big Ten sooner than later."

http://mobile.philly.com/news/?wss=/philly/hp/sports/&id=138977799&deliver=android

I guess all you have to do today to be called a "journalist" is to write... "sources say" ... and you're good! No need to back it up with facts...just opinions and hearsay! And why bother attributing your valuable info to anyone in particular?? Those are just details and more details!! Actually this "news" item is just more crap coming out of Philly!

Reaction Score
In some measure of seriousness, are our recruits being told something other than "we will be fine" ? At some point, with UofL and now Rutgers telling recruits they're on to stronger conferences, even if untrue, it does give them an extra recruiting tool which UConn hasn't used.

Maybe someone like huskyfandan knows what recruits are being told.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Rutgers is selling recruits on the fact that the Big East will be at 10 teams soon, so it will be the only true Big10 conference. Classic mix up.
Heh. What I really like about this forum is funny stuff like this.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
we have been telling recruits the same thing for the past year like rutgers.

Reaction Score
We tell them CUSA is joining us. Good times.
Most of the schools that are joining us from C-USA, other than USF and UCF, were part of major conferences before they were forced to go to C-USA. Explains why the ones who already are in were able to succeed quickly (Cincinnati and Louisville). I won't be surprised if Houston and SMU succeed in football or Houston and Memphis succeed in basketball. I also wouldn't be surprised if Memphis gets better at football. I personally have no issues with the conference. You can count me as one of the fans who are grateful that we even have 3 national titles in men's basketball, as opposed to the snobby fans we have who take things for granted and think UConn has a natural right to be in the Big 10 or ACC. If we weren't associated with the Catholic schools 75+% UConn fans whine about, we probably wouldn't even have a single national championship in men's basketball.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
duck* that.

The dogs*** conference we're looking at is so far beneath us that it is crazy.

Lots o' schools in this Big East Conference - not a blessed one of them has done what we've done in hoop over the past two decades.

Not. Even. Close.

Take Syracuse, Pitt, West Virginia and whoever else left and tally up their hardware - I'm sure we match their combined efforts and then some. That's all UConn - we don't owe anyone anything, especially not the Catholic dreck that's been cashing our checks for the past 20 years.

And now we're looking at going on the road to UCF? SMU? Houston?

duck*.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Butchy, you may be right that we are where we are now partly because of our association with St. Johns and Georgetown. But that was from the 1980s through ~2000 at the latest. Our upward trajectory since the '90s has been because of people like Lew Perkins, Phil Austin and now Susan Herbst. More importantly, it has much more to do with Jim Calhoun, Geno Auriemma, UConn 2000 / 21st century UConn, the state legislature and John Rowland, and even Randy Edsall, than it does with Providence, Seton Hall and the rest.

This isn't marriage we're talking about. It's not 'till death do us part. It's business. And we are growing apart from our old conference mates, and the new conference mates have some potential, but it's limited. Very, very limited. To say otherwise is to have the rosiest of rose colored glasses on, at best. There is nothing wrong about letting your eye wander to other potential partners, in fact, it would be in the best interest of the university - financially, athletically, academically - for Herbst and the trustees to do just that. Herbst, the athletic department, and the trustees have a fiduciary duty to put UConn in the best position possible, and they're going to do that.

I've already written paragraphs on academics and you don't seem concerned with that as much so I won't waste more pixels on it here. But I will say if we have a chance to decide if we're going to stay or go, whatever athletic benefits Houston, Boise, Memphis have to offer aren't going to be enough to overcome the athletic and academic benefits if the B10 or ACC (or even the B12) come calling.

Onward and upward.

junglehusky

Reaction Score
Also, getting back to the OP, didn't we also do the "sources say" think a while ago?

Reaction Score
I already know of business and academic factors in moving to new conferences. Why do you think we went into the Big East in the first place? We've become a power, thanks to joining the Big East. Otherwise, we'd still be where UMass is, probably trying to get into the MAC. Time will tell where we end up next. I am not one of those who panic and think we might be left in the lurch. Completely confident about our future.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
UConn has put the work in for UConn. Nobody else. UConn has carried this conference's water in MBB with almost no help in the NCAA's since 1994. Syracuse has had, literally, two good years. Every other year they ended as a disappointment. UConn has been dragging them and all the Catholic schools. Never, not one time did they complain when credits THEY EARNED went to schools who did nothing to deserve them. UConn has single-handedly prevented WBB from being a money pit, actually turning the sport into a revenue generator for the conference.

UConn put in the investment to go to I-A in football, but the Big East didn't have to say "we want you". They took UConn because they knew UConn could help their product. UConn jumped into the conference a year early when they asked. UConn has scheduled major opponents and sent a good number of fans to some really dog bowl locations (no pun intended).

UConn has done 10x more for the Big East than the Big East has ever done for UConn. UConn does have a right to be in a major conference. It is a right they have earned with their own hard work and investments. The University of Memphis is deservedly a pimple on the rear-end of this institution.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Most of the schools that are joining us from C-USA, other than USF and UCF, were part of major conferences before they were forced to go to C-USA. Explains why the ones who already are in were able to succeed quickly (Cincinnati and Louisville). I won't be surprised if Houston and SMU succeed in football or Houston and Memphis succeed in basketball. I also wouldn't be surprised if Memphis gets better at football. I personally have no issues with the conference. You can count me as one of the fans who are grateful that we even have 3 national titles in men's basketball, as opposed to the snobby fans we have who take things for granted and think UConn has a natural right to be in the Big 10 or ACC. If we weren't associated with the Catholic schools 75+% UConn fans whine about, we probably wouldn't even have a single national championship in men's basketball.
Only SMU and Houston, years ago, were in a major conference, the SWC. They were left behind when the B12 was formed. Cincy, UL and Memphis have always been floating around temporary associations like the Metro and CUSA, as well as being independents in football. We added a few last time out of necessity. Now they outnumber us. This was not the vision for upgrading football, and would never have gotten the backing necessary to pay for it over ten years ago.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
. UConn has carried this conference's water in MBB with almost no help in the NCAA's since 1994.

So true. People forget that the Big East was "UConn and" for that entire decade. UConn and Nova for a couple, UConn and G'town, UConn and SJU, UConn and Cuse...

junglehusky

Reaction Score
I already know of business and academic factors in moving to new conferences. Why do you think we went into the Big East in the first place? We've become a power, thanks to joining the Big East. Otherwise, we'd still be where UMass is, probably trying to get into the MAC. Time will tell where we end up next. I am not one of those who panic and think we might be left in the lurch. Completely confident about our future.
There is a Buddhist saying. Once you cross a river, you don't carry the boat around with you for the rest of your land journey. You leave it in the water.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom