Phil Steele Magazine write up on UConn | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Phil Steele Magazine write up on UConn

Reaction Score
A lot of "ifs," but imagine if Tarbutt made both kicks and we won both games in OT? Imagine the wacko expectations if "Edsall won 5 games with that team"?

5 wins? Yea, that would have sucked.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
I'm tired of seeing "UConn Football" and "rebuilding" in the same sentence.

But as a Chicago Cubs fan (108 years between World Series titles) no one knows better than I about the need to rebuild.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
5 wins? Yea, that would have sucked.

C'mon, man. Obviously, as a fan, 5 wins would've been great. I'm sure the coaches and players felt the same way during the season.

My point was that RE 2.0, given the roster he appears to have right now, is probably glad that he's building off a 3 win season rather than a 5 win season. It's a much easier to manage expectations when they're aligned with reality.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
If you lose players better than you replace them with you get worse. It doesn’t matter how bad you were.

Maybe the new players aren’t worse but the fact they were terrible doesn’t mean they will be better.

I’m not sure people fully realize what Diaco recruited. Nor do they remember 1999-2003.

What was wrong with 2002 and 2003? We went 6-6 in 2002, with road wins over Navy and Iowa State, and a close loss on the road at BS College. In 2003 we went 9-3. We were bowl eligible both years with no bowl to go to as an independent.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
What was wrong with 2002 and 2003? We went 6-6 in 2002, with road wins over Navy and Iowa State, and a close loss on the road at BS College. In 2003 we went 9-3. We were bowl eligible both years with no bowl to go to as an independent.

I should have said 2002. The point was it took Edsall 3.66 years to be competitive.

BTW Navy was horrible. They beat SMU and Army.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Well if they are worse players you get worse.
Why would anyone expect the underclassmen to be better than the guys they couldn’t steal playing time from.

Look at the defensive line - the defense stunk but is there a case that they are better than last year?

This isn’t the NFL there is no waiver system to impose a lower bound on your talent level.

Valid hypothesis. On the other hand, all players classified as redshirt freshman and high will have more experience in the 3-3-5 than any single player last year. Given that there was little coaching turnover, any nuanced technique specific to a 3-3-5 base D should be down as well and instinct will begin to take over. All returning players have presumably bought in. I highly doubt that was the case among all the upperclassmen last year.

Reaction Score
Glad I didn’t buy this magazine. This guy talks about everything except the upcoming season. Who cares what happened in 2016? You should be talking about your predictions on the starting lineup, talent of the players and which incoming players will have the most impact to help the team. Hopefully, some of those topics will be discusssed in the remainder of your article. In the meantime...GO HUSKIES!

Seriously? You are questioning the comprehensiveness of a report when you know you only saw a part of it?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Valid hypothesis. On the other hand, all players classified as redshirt freshman and high will have more experience in the 3-3-5 than any single player last year. Given that there was little coaching turnover, any nuanced technique specific to a 3-3-5 base D should be down as well and instinct will begin to take over. All returning players have presumably bought in. I highly doubt that was the case among all the upperclassmen last year.

Yeah if the problem was inexperience in the system and not bad players that would be nice. But we are essentially talking about a team that had two/three lost recruiting years and those players would be the upperclassmen now.

I’m not saying they are going to be worse. I’m just saying there is no guarantee they can’t be worse. You can always be worse.

Reaction Score
No seniors on defense meaning next year we should be loaded... 11 returning starters defensively

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
No seniors on defense meaning next year we should be loaded... 11 returning starters defensively
Unless we are talking about baseball, or high level soccer (if I followed it more closely), I'm not sure how much stock I put into how many starters are returning as a stand alone factor. I mean this isn't Rookie level on Madden. Player get fatigued, injured, or just work better in certain packages. Except for the quarterback position, I'd say as many as roughly 18 players see significant time on the field on either side of the ball.

Reaction Score
Seriously? You are questioning the comprehensiveness of a report when you know you only saw a part of it?

If you read my post you can see I only commented on the comprehensiveness of the article that was presented. I even stated, “Hopefully, some of those topics will be discussed in the remainder of the article.” It seems like a majority of the postings agree that not much effort was given into researching this years team. I will reserve final judgement when the rest of the article is posted. In the meantime, have a good day and GO HUSKIES!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Phil Steele:
“There’s a coaching adage that for every freshman starter you have, you lose one game. Experience can be a big thing in college football. There’s a big difference between a raw 17 or 18-year old true freshman and a mature and physically stronger 22-year old senior.
In 2018 the most experienced teams in terms of upperclassmen in the two deep are:
1. Air Force, 2. UAB, 3. Kansas, 4. Navy, 5. Arizona St.

The least experienced teams are:
130. Connecticut, 129. Virginia Tech, 128. Minnesota, 126. LSU, 126. North Carolina.”

Is he actually saying that Kansas might not be awful? That would certainly be a switch.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Are you trying to say Pindell was better than Shirreffs?

It's not a question for me, but obviously I don't think he was better, or he'd have won the job and kept it. What I do think is that he has more upside. He's more athletic, and his ceiling is higher. His floor is also lower.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If you read my post you can see I only commented on the comprehensiveness of the article that was presented. I even stated, “Hopefully, some of those topics will be discussed in the remainder of the article.” It seems like a majority of the postings agree that not much effort was given into researching this years team. I will reserve final judgement when the rest of the article is posted. In the meantime, have a good day and GO HUSKIES!

We would have the fan base that doesn’t know what a Phil Steele article looks like.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
We would have the fan base that doesn’t know what a Phil Steele article looks like.

In fairness, no point in paying 10 bucks for him when you can get Bill Connelly’s for free

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
In fairness, no point in paying 10 bucks for him when you can get Bill Connelly’s for free

The material is different.

Plus Phil Steele’s mag is awesome for the beach and to keep nearby during the season.

I know the $10 is intimidating. It’s like half an order of avacado toast or a crowler of cider.

None of which has anything to do with the point.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
The material is different.

Plus Phil Steele’s mag is awesome for the beach and to keep nearby during the season.

I know the $10 is intimidating. It’s like half an order of avacado toast or a crowler of cider.

None of which has anything to do with the point.

Not everyone has time to blow on the beach. Some of us have tomatoes to tend.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Not everyone has time to blow on the beach. Some of us have tomatoes to tend.

If you can get yourself to Fargo.. there is an hourly bus to Winnipeg. Spend some time at the lake.

If you think Fargo has that big city feel wait til you see Winnipeg. The population has 6 numbers in it.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom