Phil Steele Magazine write up on UConn | The Boneyard

Phil Steele Magazine write up on UConn

Reaction Score
upload_2018-7-6_21-9-42.jpeg

Reaction Score
Glad I didn’t buy this magazine. This guy talks about everything except the upcoming season. Who cares what happened in 2016? You should be talking about your predictions on the starting lineup, talent of the players and which incoming players will have the most impact to help the team. Hopefully, some of those topics will be discusssed in the remainder of your article. In the meantime........GO HUSKIES!

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
I mean, this is much more comprehensive than "uhhh rebuilding year, bad team good linebackers probably good on specials xD."

Steele does a good job of analyzing, but IMO his evaluations are off.

Reaction Score
Phil Steele:
“There’s a coaching adage that for every freshman starter you have, you lose one game. Experience can be a big thing in college football. There’s a big difference between a raw 17 or 18-year old true freshman and a mature and physically stronger 22-year old senior.
In 2018 the most experienced teams in terms of upperclassmen in the two deep are:
1. Air Force, 2. UAB, 3. Kansas, 4. Navy, 5. Arizona St.

The least experienced teams are:
130. Connecticut, 129. Virginia Tech, 128. Minnesota, 126. LSU, 126. North Carolina.”

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Phil Steele:
“There’s a coaching adage that for every freshman starter you have, you lose one game. Experience can be a big thing in college football. There’s a big difference between a raw 17 or 18-year old true freshman and a mature and physically stronger 22-year old senior.
In 2018 the most experienced teams in terms of upperclassmen in the two deep are:

130. Connecticut, 129. Virginia Tech, 128. Minnesota, 126. LSU, 126. North Carolina.”

There is the old argument in pro sports that asks if a league MVP should come from a last place team. How valuable can you be if your team finishes poorly?

I feel the same way about upperclassmen. If the team was really bad with a lot of returning starters, how much worse can you be when they get replaced by underclassmen.

I think the more important question to ask in CFB is do you have any major weaknesses that other teams can exploit at will. Last year it was a defense that was easy to pass against. Too easy. Was that scheme, lack of a real pass rush (those sack numbers don't mean anything), poor coverage from the secondary? Linebackers? When one part of a squad is overmatched the entire side of the ball breaks down. Sometimes it is a very small thing that is responsible.

Reaction Score
There are huge unknowns on the defense and it will be a very young defense. After sitting through the Memphis game last season I do wonder how the defense could be any worse. But that’s a scary question.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
There is the old argument in pro sports that asks if a league MVP should come from a last place team. How valuable can you be if your team finishes poorly?

I feel the same way about upperclassmen. If the team was really bad with a lot of returning starters, how much worse can you be when they get replaced by underclassmen.

I think the more important question to ask in CFB is do you have any major weaknesses that other teams can exploit at will. Last year it was a defense that was easy to pass against. Too easy. Was that scheme, lack of a real pass rush (those sack numbers don't mean anything), poor coverage from the secondary? Linebackers? When one part of a squad is overmatched the entire side of the ball breaks down. Sometimes it is a very small thing that is responsible.

Well if they are worse players you get worse.
Why would anyone expect the underclassmen to be better than the guys they couldn’t steal playing time from.

Look at the defensive line - the defense stunk but is there a case that they are better than last year?

This isn’t the NFL there is no waiver system to impose a lower bound on your talent level.

Reaction Score
Glad I didn’t buy this magazine. This guy talks about everything except the upcoming season. Who cares what happened in 2016? You should be talking about your predictions on the starting lineup, talent of the players and which incoming players will have the most impact to help the team. Hopefully, some of those topics will be discusssed in the remainder of your article. In the meantime...GO HUSKIES!
This is exactly what these predictors peddle, last year's data and how teams will fill in for graduation or transfer losses. Most members of this august group could do the same, given the time.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I’m feeling tepid, but we could surprise. When I say surprise, I mean win 5 games. I expect us to win 3 when I’m feeling optimistic. I am feeling a little better about Pindell—the BC game was burned in my brain where he couldn’t throw five yards, but I watched last years UCF game and he played pretty well there. He can scoot and is awesome at escaping the blitz. If he’s confident, I think he’ll be a decent QB and he has plenty of guys to throw to.

Our most important question on offense might be who ends up with the most carries at RB. Seems wide open right now. Would have thought Mensah coming in to spring, but he didn’t appear to secure the gig. Hopkins is solid short yardage, but he has a hard time staying on the field. I wouldn’t be shocked if Zavier Scott ended the season with the most carries—RE seems high on him and he’s versatile. Probably awful in pass protection since he’s a converted WR, but he’s a good athlete. If Mensah can stay disciplined and healthy, he’ll be our bell cow, but that may be a big if.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
I’m feeling tepid, but we could surprise. When I say surprise, I mean win 5 games. I expect us to win 3 when I’m feeling optimistic.

RE 2.0 should be really grateful for Tarbutt. If he hadn't missed the FG against ECU and the XP against Cincy, the win total could have looked a lot different. A lot of "ifs," but imagine if Tarbutt made both kicks and we won both games in OT? Imagine the wacko expectations if "Edsall won 5 games with that team"?

Vegas has us at 3.5 wins right now and it's hard to pick out 3 wins on the schedule. Still, I'll take the over --we're due a run of luck, right?

Reaction Score
I’m feeling tepid, but we could surprise. When I say surprise, I mean win 5 games. I expect us to win 3 when I’m feeling optimistic. I am feeling a little better about Pindell—the BC game was burned in my brain where he couldn’t throw five yards, but I watched last years UCF game and he played pretty well there. He can scoot and is awesome at escaping the blitz. If he’s confident, I think he’ll be a decent QB and he has plenty of guys to throw to.

Our most important question on offense might be who ends up with the most carries at RB. Seems wide open right now. Would have thought Mensah coming in to spring, but he didn’t appear to secure the gig. Hopkins is solid short yardage, but he has a hard time staying on the field. I wouldn’t be shocked if Zavier Scott ended the season with the most carries—RE seems high on him and he’s versatile. Probably awful in pass protection since he’s a converted WR, but he’s a good athlete. If Mensah can stay disciplined and healthy, he’ll be our bell cow, but that may be a big if.

I think we have a chance to run the ball pretty well next season. If we do, that could be a big factor in keeping the defense off the field and limiting our turnovers.

Reaction Score
Phil Steele:

For one, I'd like our chances against Kansas no matter how many upperclassmen they have......

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
RE 2.0 should be really grateful for Tarbutt. If he hadn't missed the FG against ECU and the XP against Cincy, the win total could have looked a lot different. A lot of "ifs," but imagine if Tarbutt made both kicks and we won both games in OT? Imagine the wacko expectations if "Edsall won 5 games with that team"?

Vegas has us at 3.5 wins right now and it's hard to pick out 3 wins on the schedule. Still, I'll take the over --we're due a run of luck, right?

URI and ECU are the two most probable. Granted, the latter is a road game, but they are going to be awful. After that, maybe a home game against UMass, Cincy, or Temple. Our first month of the season will be rough. Need to make sure we don’t get down on ourselves after ucf and Boise...literally the two best G5 teams in college football back to back

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
For one, I'd like our chances against Kansas no matter how many upperclassmen they have.

They’re all upperclassmen because Kansas takes in a ton of juco guys. They’re still inexperienced.

Reaction Score

This infatuation on the board with Zavier Scott is weird .. Mensah/Hopkins are the duo with Black getting some burn and O'Reilly a little as scat back ala Thompson last yr. Scott is a converted wide receiver - his spring game performance means little in the grand scheme.

I'd love to make that bet with anyone that he'll finish with most carries.

Don't take this post as confrontational - I just don't see where all this hype for Scott is coming from, it seems silly to me.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Well if they are worse players you get worse.
Why would anyone expect the underclassmen to be better than the guys they couldn’t steal playing time from.

Look at the defensive line - the defense stunk but is there a case that they are better than last year?

This isn’t the NFL there is no waiver system to impose a lower bound on your talent level.

Some weren't here, some you can assume got better or learned how to play better. Then their is the politics of the locker room. As much as coaches love to say that the best player plays, we know better. You don't have to look any further than last years QB.

The team was one of the worst on defense. Changing a bunch of players can't result in much worse play. Doesn't mean they will be immediately better, just hard to think they will be worse.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Some weren't here, some you can assume got better or learned how to play better. Then their is the politics of the locker room. As much as coaches love to say that the best player plays, we know better. You don't have to look any further than last years QB.

The team was one of the worst on defense. Changing a bunch of players can't result in much worse play. Doesn't mean they will be immediately better, just hard to think they will be worse.

Are you trying to say Pindell was better than Shirreffs?

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
This infatuation on the board with Zavier Scott is weird .. Mensah/Hopkins are the duo with Black getting some burn and O'Reilly a little as scat back ala Thompson last yr. Scott is a converted wide receiver - his spring game performance means little in the grand scheme.

I'd love to make that bet with anyone that he'll finish with most carries.

Don't take this post as confrontational - I just don't see where all this hype for Scott is coming from, it seems silly to me.

I totally agree with this in many ways. I don’t think Scott is going to come out and be a star. It’s more of me wondering how Mensah and Hopkins will hold up (both got hurt last year). If that happens, we may have to play Scott. Edsall also seems to really like Scott

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

If you lose players better than you replace them with you get worse. It doesn’t matter how bad you were.

Maybe the new players aren’t worse but the fact they were terrible doesn’t mean they will be better.

I’m not sure people fully realize what Diaco recruited. Nor do they remember 1999-2003.

Reaction Score
Locker room politics? Didn’t Pindell get the starting job over an upper classman? Seems like it was his job to lose, which he did. No politics involved as far as I can tell unless you know something we don’t.

Reaction Score
Phil Steele:

So if we play a lot of freshman we could go -3 and 14?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom