Phil Nolan Gaining Weight | The Boneyard

Phil Nolan Gaining Weight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
@AmoreCourant: Phil Nolan is up to 216 lbs, says he grew to 6-10. "if I can get to 225 I can do some special things ... I'm ready" #uconnmen

He is getting closer and closer to becoming the starting center.

Jaybo

I hate you
Reaction Score
Becoming a true center!if he Keeps up the good weight gain will be in good shape at center.now only if brima can put on 10 lbs or so.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
Honestly I wouldn't get too excited. Dude is clearly a "hard gainer" as some say, and IF he gains any decent amount of weight in the next 2ish months, it'll mostly be fat, and he will lose a fair amount of it through the season. He certainly won't be gaining during the season. You're supposed to make gains in the off-season so you can dedicate your energy to practice and performance in-season. If I were the strength trainer, I would have the team lift no more than twice a week in-season, mainly for maintenance. I would like to see the progression of strength gains in his big compound movements: sumo dead lifts and squats, dip, chin up.

How big he can get himself before serious practice starts is as heavy as we will see him all year. I wouldn't expect him to break 225 before he graduates.

Reaction Score
Honestly I wouldn't get too excited. Dude is clearly a "hard gainer" as some say, and IF he gains any decent amount of weight in the next 2ish months, it'll mostly be fat, and he will lose a fair amount of it through the season. He certainly won't be gaining during the season. You're supposed to make gains in the off-season so you can dedicate your energy to practice and performance in-season. If I were the strength trainer, I would have the team lift no more than twice a week, mainly for maintenance (and I wouldn't be shocked if that's what goes down at UConn). I would like to see the progression of strength gains in his big compound movements: dead lift, front squat, dip, chin up.

How big he can get himself before serious practice starts is as heavy as we will see him all year. I wouldn't expect him to break 225 before he graduates.
He will definitely be over 225 by the time he graduates.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
I'm 22, have been lifting consistently 3+ times a week for over a year now, am a fairly easy gainer, and there is no way I have gained more than 10 lean pounds. The way an athlete should be training in-season, combined with his being a hard gainer, I just don't see him gaining more than 5 lbs a year. Again, seeing his compound lift progression would give some kind of gauge as to how much of what he's gained is from bone and fat.

Reaction Score
Nice to see Nolan bulking up some. Sounds like good muscle. I'd love to see what the UConn strength coach can do for Brimah & Facey before the season begins and the subsequent seasons. A burrito or milkshake or two couldn't hurt either. Is there a Moe's on campus?

Jaybo

I hate you
Reaction Score
Honestly I wouldn't get too excited. Dude is clearly a "hard gainer" as some say, and IF he gains any decent amount of weight in the next 2ish months, it'll mostly be fat, and he will lose a fair amount of it through the season. He certainly won't be gaining during the season. You're supposed to make gains in the off-season so you can dedicate your energy to practice and performance in-season. If I were the strength trainer, I would have the team lift no more than twice a week in-season, mainly for maintenance. I would like to see the progression of strength gains in his big compound movements: sumo dead lifts and squats, dip, chin up.

I read that josh Boone started a season at 232 and ended it at 231.he had lost 12 lbs of fat and added 11 lbs or so of muscle. Each individual is different but I think they'll focus on muscle gain for Nolan,don't want any extra fat on his already thin frame.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
I read that josh Boone started a season at 232 and ended it at 231.he had lost 12 lbs of fat and added 11 lbs or so of muscle.
I'd love a link for that.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
Awesome; I've wanted a peek in to what goes on with our athletes' strength training for a while now.

Reaction Score
Glad to hear he's beefing up. I'd like to see him at 217+ by the start of the season. Hopefully is making progress too.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
They push themselves to failure when they train...? On top of practice? This seems kind of crazy. Wish there was some actual detail there like what kind of movements and parameters they use.

JL is PN's height...?

I just don't think it's fair to take one player's results and apply them as expectations for another. The most obvious difference is the style of body change. Boone was fat (i.e. decent gainer), having a bunch of stores to help facilitate a re-composition. PN is working from scratch with no real bulk on him, and is clearly not an easy gainer. They have different bodies.

Reaction Score
They push themselves to failure when they train...? On top of practice? This seems kind of crazy. Wish there was some actual detail there like what kind of movements and parameters they use.

JL is PN's height...?

I just don't think it's fair to take one player's results and apply them as expectations for another. The most obvious difference is the style of body change. Boone was fat (i.e. decent gainer), having a bunch of stores to help facilitate a re-composition. PN is working from scratch with no real bulk on him, and is clearly not an easy gainer. They have different bodies.
Boone was fat? You don't know how any of these players react to weight training and diet. Nolan can easily beef up with good weight training and diet, he has a solid frame to begin with for a 19 year old.

Jaybo

I hate you
Reaction Score
I used it as am example.there not going to back off Phil's weight training during the season,they'll continue to beef him up as much as possible.

Jaybo

I hate you
Reaction Score
As for pushing them selves to failure, I weight train and have since high school football. Are coaches had us do how ever many sets,lets say 3 of 12 then do a forth set intill you couldn't physically do it.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
Well, I sure hope everyone is right. Not gonna bother continuing to try explaining what I'm getting at.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom