Phil Knight calls it right at PSU | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Phil Knight calls it right at PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You keep saying they report to him for financial/organizational and yet this is the guy who ran the previous investigations and to whom Paterno reported possible criminal acts in the past. Take the Chris Bell incident, for example. That went to Schultz too.

Since you questioned it.....I said it because a simple review of his background shows him to be a general administrator with no qualifications to run a criminal investigation. The police have to report somewhere, as do the head of facilities, HR, finance, etc., and he is the guy for all of them. That doesn't make him a law enforcement official or criminal scientist just as it doesn't make him an HVAC engineer or facilities manager.

When I asked earlier about what you meant when you said that he oversaw the 1998 investigation you replied:

"He directly contacted the local police (not University Park police but State College) and the DA. They in turn contacted child protection services. That's why this is so perplexing, because it wasn't handled like the 1998 shower incident (which also took place in the football locker room)."

In other words his "oversight" consisted of passing the case on to others to investigate (as one would expect from someone with no background in criminal justice). As you seemingly implied, it would have been better for everyone other than Sandusky if he had done the same here. So, what did you mean when you said he "ran" other investigations?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Since you questioned it.....I said it because a simple review of his background shows him to be a general administrator with no qualifications to run a criminal investigation. The police have to report somewhere, as do the head of facilities, HR, finance, etc., and he is the guy for all of them. That doesn't make him a law enforcement official or criminal scientist just as it doesn't make him an HVAC engineer or facilities manager.

When I asked earlier about what you meant when you said that he oversaw the 1998 investigation you replied:

"He directly contacted the local police (not University Park police but State College) and the DA. They in turn contacted child protection services. That's why this is so perplexing, because it wasn't handled like the 1998 shower incident (which also took place in the football locker room)."

In other words his "oversight" consisted of passing the case on to others to investigate (as one would expect from someone with no background in criminal justice). As you seemingly implied, it would have been better for everyone other than Sandusky if he had done the same here. So, what did you mean when you said he "ran" other investigations?

kibbles, at least you have participated in discussion and I thank you. This thread was never posted here by me it was transferred by a mod. As to whaler he is useless because he doesn't even attempt to engage in facts and is the perfect example of why constant inaccuracies concerning events prevails rather than the record. He misquotes to serve his purpose as upstater has noted and put words in Joe's mouth.

Fact is the law needs changed every one of us should be a mandated reporter and the report should go directly to the State Police. Local police are potentially has beholden to local political pressures as people assume the university police are. No child or adult should be subjected to abuse, sexual or otherwise, but the most vulnerable like kids must be provided maximum protection. Even so, there is still due process to protect individuals against false accusation which are not sadly all that unusual too. The balance of these two things is a difficult challenge.

On the hand, none of this even mentions our Governor in PA who appears to have slow boated this investigation assigning it a single investigator for almost two years as AG during his campaign for governor. Wouldn't want a mess like this to interfere with a potential path to power I guess.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
kibbles, at least you have participated in discussion and I thank you. This thread was never posted here by me it was transferred by a mod. As to whaler he is useless because he doesn't even attempt to engage in facts and is the perfect example of why constant inaccuracies concerning events prevails rather than the record. He misquotes to serve his purpose as upstater has noted and put words in Joe's mouth.

Fact is the law needs changed every one of us should be a mandated reporter and the report should go directly to the State Police. Local police are potentially has beholden to local political pressures as people assume the university police are. No child or adult should be subjected to abuse, sexual or otherwise, but the most vulnerable like kids must be provided maximum protection. Even so, there is still due process to protect individuals against false accusation which are not sadly all that unusual too. The balance of these two things is a difficult challenge.

On the hand, none of this even mentions our Governor in PA who appears to have slow boated this investigation assigning it a single investigator for almost two years as AG during his campaign for governor. Wouldn't want a mess like this to interfere with a potential path to power I guess.

If anything is misquoted then you'll wanted to blame Sally Jenkins of the Washington Post as it is copied and pasted from her story.

Paterno can admit he was wrong - why can't you admit he was wrong? Doesn't that seem a bit obtuse?

Reaction Score

Fact is the law needs changed every one of us should be a mandated reporter and the report should go directly to the State Police. Local police are potentially has beholden to local political pressures as people assume the university police are. No child or adult should be subjected to abuse, sexual or otherwise, bKut the most vulnerable like kids must be provided maximum protection. Even so, there is still due process to protect individuals against false accusation which are not sadly all that unusual too. The balance of these two things is a difficult challenge.

Thank you. I take no pleasure in this because I too remember many of the positives that JoePa brought to college football and Penn State. Those of us that are a little older and can remember the shocking contrast between Penn State and Miami will understand the former and having seen the growth of PSU into a world class university will appreciate the latter.

However, he was human and made mistakes - and this one was a huge one. He was not the primary culprit nor does it appear that he was at the top of the list of secondary culprits. He was one member of a chain of systemic failure - any one of which could have saved many children extreme pain if they'd acted differently - that failed to prevent if not outright enabled Sandusky's evil.

I would probably have been satisfied to leave it at that if Knight and Jay Paterno hadn't tried to rewrite history to completely ignore those failings. A simple statement such as "Joe was very sad over recent events and concerned for the victims, but I hope you'll remember the great works that he did as well as learn from any mistakes to rebuild the Institutions he loved so much" i would have been respected. The approach of Knight and Paterno, however, turned my stomach.

We can't address the systemic failures that permitted these attrocities if we don't honestly recognize what happened and why. We owe the victims - and future potential victims - at least that much.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Just as a reminder, everything Phil Knight says and does is about putting more money in Phil Knight's pocket. His word means less than nothing.

Reaction Score

The whole thing is effed up. Even if UPPD is real police, they are paid by the university which makes them suspect. All I'm telling you is this: Schultz ran investigations. In fact, he did a "little" investigating in 2002. It will come out in testimony, but Ganim already reported that he interviewed Sandusky twice and was even given the name of the child who he also contacted. I don't know why the prosecutor was not given the name. I assume two things about that: one, either the child (now man) did not want to get involved like all the other victims except #1, or lawyers told Sandusky and Schultz not to say anything.

The point is, whether Schultz was qualified or not, he IS the person who ran the 2002 investigation at UP campus, and yes he called the DA who called child protection in 1998, and they ran the sting on Sandusky. He ran investigations regularly. You're saying he passed it on as though that's bad. Uh, isn't that why people are up at arms now? Because he didn't pass it on in 2002? So why is it bad that he informed the DA in 1998?

Whether he is qualified or not, this is the guy that ran those investigations. The question is, why? Probably because even though PSU police go through the same training and qualifying as other forces, UP is a company town, and they have administrators doing this sort of work, not detectives.

Reaction Score
Thank you. I take no pleasure in this because I too remember many of the positives that JoePa brought to college football and Penn State. Those of us that are a little older and can remember the shocking contrast between Penn State and Miami will understand the former and having seen the growth of PSU into a world class university will appreciate the latter.

However, he was human and made mistakes - and this one was a huge one. He was not the primary culprit nor does it appear that he was at the top of the list of secondary culprits. He was one member of a chain of systemic failure - any one of which could have saved many children extreme pain if they'd acted differently - that failed to prevent if not outright enabled Sandusky's evil.

I would probably have been satisfied to leave it at that if Knight and Jay Paterno hadn't tried to rewrite history to completely ignore those failings. A simple statement such as "Joe was very sad over recent events and concerned for the victims, but I hope you'll remember the great works that he did as well as learn from any mistakes to rebuild the Institutions he loved so much" i would have been respected. The approach of Knight and Paterno, however, turned my stomach.

We can't address the systemic failures that permitted these attrocities if we don't honestly recognize what happened and why. We owe the victims - and future potential victims - at least that much.

I agree with all of this.

Reaction Score
So knowing of childhood molestation in your facilities since 2001 and brushing it off like a fly on a summer's day is okay with you? Or is senility an acceptable defense?

How is reporting it to the Athletic Director and the man who in charge of the police department brushing it off like a fly on a summer's day?

Reaction Score
Pretending that JoPa was Sergeant Schultz from Hogan's Heroes won't cut it. JoPa's silence is to his shame. Period.

If you want to say he didn't speak up enough that's fine. But it's inaccurate to suggest he was "silent". He told the athletic director. That is very clearly not silence.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
If you want to say he didn't speak up enough that's fine. But it's inaccurate to suggest he was "silent". He told the athletic director. That is very clearly not silence.

He told a subordinate. Big deal.

Reaction Score
He told a subordinate. Big deal.

Wasn't a subordinate. Was the guy that ran these investigations in the past. Paterno was the most powerful man on campus, but people tend to forget that he's a football coach who wouldn't be dealing with such an investigation. If there was a cover-up involved, someone will have to tell me why this same so-called "subordinate" was the one who reported Sandusky to the local cops and DA a few years earlier WHILE Sandusky was still a football coach at PSU. Some cover-up.

Besides, Paterno told Schultz what McQueary told him. And that's yet to come out.

Reaction Score
Someone a lot wiser than me(dad) told me a long time ago, "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all". It makes UConn fans look cheap when they pick at the carcass of a dead man so why don't you just let the guy rest in peace and start aiming your concern at the guy who was actually responsible for all this.

Your dad isn't the only wise-man. He'd have every right to be proud that you've heeded his advice. Totally agree with your last sentence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom