Pheesa Named USA Team Finalist! | The Boneyard

Pheesa Named USA Team Finalist!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Napheesa Collier, Five UConn Alums Named Finalists For USA Women's World Cup Team

"Collier is the only college player who remains on the roster after the cut to 16. Last season she averaged 16.1 points for the Huskies and scored in double digits in 33 games. She participated in Team USA’s exhibition against former teammate Kia Nurse and Team Canada on Saturday, where she contributed key rebounds and assists in the final minutes of the game."

upload_2018-9-11_14-15-24.png

All grown up, huh!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Nice accomplishment for Napheesa. I think she is about 50-50 in terms of making the final 12. I hope to see her in Tenerife. It's a great experience for her, whether she makes it or not. Final 16 is really solid!!

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Nice accomplishment for Napheesa. I think she is about 50-50 in terms of making the final 12. I hope to see her in Tenerife. It's a great experience for her, whether she makes it or not. Final 16 is really solid!!

I can only eliminate 3 players. EDD maybe because of knee; I was not impressed with Layshia Clarendon; I have never been all that impressed with Jewell Loyd. She is too erratic. Poor consistency. I hope some how the selection committee see their way to selecting Phee.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I can only eliminate 3 players. EDD maybe because of knee; I was not impressed with Layshia Clarendon; I have never been all that impressed with Jewell Loyd. She is too erratic. Poor consistency. I hope some how the selection committee see their way to selecting Phee.

For me an easy elimination would be E. Williams. But, of course, we don't know who has said no thanks.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think Naphessa and Morgan are quite similar in what they bring to a team so I do not see both of them making it. Feel free to convince me otherwise please.
Sorry, I agree with you. I think Tuck has two advantages over Pheesa: (1) more experience, including at the pro level; and (2) enough bulk and strength, combined with defensive skills, to be yet one more defender to throw at Cambage.

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure one of the impressions Napheesa made at camp is that she's such a great teammate. That came across in spades every time she was on the floor in both games. And even if she doesn't make it this year, you can be darned sure she will the next time!

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
If we assume the seven vets make it (likely if EDD decides to play), that's four PF-posts; two guards; and EDD as the sole 3 if you count her as a 3. That leaves one post position at most, presumably going to Wilson. To me, Collier seems a better fit for the other 3 spot. I see her as much better suited to that than Tuck. If EDD isn't healthy enough, I see Tuck and Collier both making it.

Kelsey Mitchell among the final 16? I don't get it. There are three guard spots up for grabs -- I think Plum is a lock. Tiffany Mitchell has looked good in limited minutes; she'll be competing with Clarendon, K. Mitchell, and Loyd for the other two guard spots (unless they keep Collier and Tuck, in which case they'll have four true guards on the roster, which is possible).

I think Pheesa's chances are better than 50-50, but she's certainly not a lock. As has been pointed out, they usually have one college player on the team, and she's the one left standing.

Reaction Score
Since Pheesa is the only college player in the list I will predict she will be in the final list. Hope I am right.

I like your thinking, and agree with MilfordHusky that her chances are around 50% or maybe even slightly better. Here's why:

I believe the seven previous team members are all locks. Of the remaining nine, Wilson, Loyd, and Plum are the most likely makes. And I think Clarendon and Kelsey Mitchell are the most likely to be cut. That leaves four players for two spots: Collier, Tuck, Williams, and Tiffany Mitchell.

The first make from that group of four might be Tiffany Mitchell, especially for what she brings on defense. Now Williams to me seems quite duplicative of Wilson and even Charles. So I think the second and final make is a tossup between Collier and Tuck, with an ever-so-slight edge going to Collier, primarily because she's the college player. (Regrettably, I don't think both of these Huskies will make the team, simply because they're bringing a lot of the same good things to the table. But I'll be really bummed if at least one of them does not!)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Collier is way better than Morgan Tuck. Although Tuck may be better defensively (questionable), Collier has a near complete offensive game that was apparent in the final quarter of the game against Canada. I'd take Collier over E Williams, though I'm a fan of her too.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Comparing Morgan Tuck and Pheesa Collier is like comparing ... hmmmm, I'm stumped. Two gifted atletes, so very different. I know! Take them both, ditch E. Williams (time for med school dear; I know sounds harsh, but true).

Reaction Score
While Collier has worked hard and deserves all the credit for getting to this point it doesn't hurt recruiting that UConn players tend to make the jump from college onto the national team scene to a greater degree than players from other programs.

Strong evidence that UConn does the best job of preparing it's players for the next level.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Comparing Morgan Tuck and Pheesa Collier is like comparing ... hmmmm, I'm stumped. Two gifted atletes, so very different. I know! Take them both, ditch E. Williams (time for med school dear; I know sounds harsh, but true).

Harsh yes.. horsecrap statement... definitely. I would say more, but I was taught to respect the elderly, so I'll move on.

Reaction Score
I think Naphessa and Morgan are quite similar in what they bring to a team so I do not see both of them making it. Feel free to convince me otherwise please.

Certainly a great honor but selfishly I'd rather let Morgan have the spot this year...............if Napheesa gets injured ala Sedona Prince, UConn's chances of winning a NC are pretty much down the drain...............I'd rather see her back in Storrs working out with the team............they'll be plenty more chances for her in the years to come..........

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Harsh yes.. horsecrap statement... definitely. I would say more, but I was taught to respect the elderly, so I'll move on.

Praise the Lord and pass the mashed potatoes. She has size and a modicum of skill period. Not USA team caliber, much as it offends a loyal Dookie. Smooch, smooch triad but she's mediocre.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Praise the Lord and pass the mashed potatoes. She has size and a modicum of skill period. Not USA team caliber, much as it offends a loyal Dookie. Smooch, smooch triad but she's mediocre.
Not sure if you watched her play in the game vs. Canada (I believe it was that game), but she looked terrific. After that game I had her on the team (my list) with Collier/Tuck battling for the last spot. I have no idea how the players do in practice, but clearly their selection is not based on their WNBA (or college) season. And I did think Williams had a terrific season for Atlanta anyway.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Not sure if you watched her play in the game vs. Canada (I believe it was that game), but she looked terrific. After that game I had her on the team (my list) with Collier/Tuck battling for the last spot. I have no idea how the players do in practice, but clearly their selection is not based on their WNBA (or college) season. And I did think Williams had a terrific season for Atlanta anyway.

I value your opinion @EricaLA but I think we have better options going for a big, but again I have no idea who said no thanks.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Im stunned actually!!!

Not because of Pheesa.

But Kelsey Mitchell!???! Serioulsy!?! Someone please explain to me what she brings to the team besides poor shot selection, zero ability to assist and a complete inability to play defense. I just don’t get it. I also would have taken Diamond over Tiffany Mitchell but i guess we can see why she made the cut. Kelsey Mitchell. Serioulsy!?! At least Sims can play defense.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Im stunned actually!!!

Not because of Pheesa.

But Kelsey Mitchell!???! Serioulsy!?! Someone please explain to me what she brings to the team besides poor shot selection, zero ability to assist and a complete inability to play defense. I just don’t get it. I also would have taken Diamond over Tiffany Mitchell but i guess we can see why she made the cut. Kelsey Mitchell. Serioulsy!?! At least Sims can play defense.
Yeah, I would have cut her too--before some of the other cuts.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Missed the cut:
  • Odyssey Sims !!!
  • Alyssa Gray
  • Diamond Deshields
  • Stefanie Dolson
Quite surprising that Sims got beat out by both the Mitchells and by Plum.

Will there be accusations that T. Mitchell benefited from the "home coach" advantage, as was charged when certain people made the cut for Geno's team?

Reaction Score
G - Clarendon, K Mitchell, T Mitchell, Plum + Bird, Taurasi, Loyd
F - Collier, Nneka, Tuck + EDD, Stewart
C - Charles, Williams, Wilson + Griner

I would think final cuts are entirely dependent on which of the 6 players not there decide to come, with
Clarendon, K Mitchell, Collier, & E Williams in the most danger

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom