PG for this season: Paige, Azzi, KK, Kaitlyn, Morgan | Page 3 | The Boneyard

PG for this season: Paige, Azzi, KK, Kaitlyn, Morgan

Reaction Score
While I joke about Paige at PF again this season, it’s not outside the realm of possibility. We’ve all concluded that UConn’s lineup will include some combination of Jana with Ice/Sarah, with Aubrey coming back and Ayanna healthy. But what if UConn’s best lineup is once again a Big (Jana?) and 4 guards (Paige, Kaitlyn, Ashlynn, KK or Azzi)?

If everyone is healthy, Geno will have a dizzying array of options.
We are very likely to see a 4 guard lineup again this season, but not as a steady diet.

Reaction Score
Yes I know. But you brought up though the qeustion about SG. So I wanted your further take. And I had asked why you think Paige wasnt a SG? I just added Wing/SF. You brought up SG, not Dawn. .. Dawn only mentioned she doesn't take bad shots. Thus my question to you about your interpretation as to why you felt Paige wasn't a sg.

As far as Geno, I believe you are taking his comment way too literal. So,if Azzi is being tightly guarded you think he meant for Azzi to take the shot anyway rather than get the ball back to Paige, for example? So ofc he wants her to weigh her options.

If Geno wanted Paige and Azzi just to shoot then we'd see then take 30+ shots a game like UCONN did last year in Exhibtion with Azzi over the summer.
Technically, I asked if Paige was what an SG is, not whether she’s an SG. There’s a difference. The implication should have been obvious: Paige is a selective-effective scorer. I’ve mentioned this dozens of times in recent years (ie the Paige era), namely that bucket does more than just score. A bucket is like a guarantee. When you need a score, or when the opponent is emotionally struggling, a bucket steps up. That’s Paige.

And it would be fair to say that Dawn’s comment doesn’t sum Paige up. But is a salient feature of her game. A player who is that selective is not my notion of an SG. They are a bucket.

When I hinted at this last time, you took me to mean Azzi would have license to actively choose bad shots. I think that was a distortion of what I meant or could have meant. An SG these days is someone who is always ready to fire from outside. This doesn’t mean they can drive to the hoop, and we all know Azzi is awesome on the drive. But she is very good at making herself ready, and Geno designs plays to get her the pass that she can shoot on.

That’s what an SG is. Paige isn’t somehow less than an SG, which you seemed to be suggesting. She’s much more. Azzi is also more than that simple definition of an SG, but it just seems more marked.

And now we’re here again, finding the limits of the usefulness of that old terminology. Do we have SGs? Yes. Q for one, Ash for another. Allie may cover some of that turf, too. But to call Paige that would be to miss what she really is entirely: a bucket.

Reaction Score
Technically, I asked if Paige was what an SG is, not whether she’s an SG. There’s a difference. The implication should have been obvious: Paige is a selective-effective scorer. I’ve mentioned this dozens of times in recent years (ie the Paige era), namely that bucket does more than just score. A bucket is like a guarantee. When you need a score, or when the opponent is emotionally struggling, a bucket steps up. That’s Paige.

And it would be fair to say that Dawn’s comment doesn’t sum Paige up. But is a salient feature of her game. A player who is that selective is not my notion of an SG. They are a bucket.

When I hinted at this last time, you took me to mean Azzi would have license to actively choose bad shots. I think that was a distortion of what I meant or could have meant. An SG these days is someone who is always ready to fire from outside. This doesn’t mean they can drive to the hoop, and we all know Azzi is awesome on the drive. But she is very good at making herself ready, and Geno designs plays to get her the pass that she can shoot on.

That’s what an SG is. Paige isn’t somehow less than an SG, which you seemed to be suggesting. She’s much more. Azzi is also more than that simple definition of an SG, but it just seems more marked.

And now we’re here again, finding the limits of the usefulness of that old terminology. Do we have SGs? Yes. Q for one, Ash for another. Allie may cover some of that turf, too. But to call Paige that would be to miss what she really is entirely: a bucket.
Everything you said here I view things much differently. Oh well. I don't understand how you look at postions and intepretation of them. I was trying to get an understanding of that. Not saying you are wrong but I don't even understand what you are speaking of in terms of "Paige Buckets" and your view of SG in relation (or not) to Paige. And your points about Azzi.

At times we'll run into these situations but I believe we are very friendly. So, no big deal. Please don't take offense if I question - sometimes I can't help it. I mean no offense. If this is how you look at things - that's fine. Because even when Paige leaves we'll have other players we'll speak of., and I'm sure we'll have a much different view as to what they are. But I will be more cognizant of the differences between your view and mine in the future - will not try to respond at anything I feel is near minutia. :)

Last edited:

sun

Reaction Score
I think that how Geno utilizes the PG's will be based on the results of the tougher OOC games.
Paige will draw a lot of attention from defenses no matter which position she plays which should open up more passing opportunities for other players.
And which other players receive the passes requires court vision & experience.
I can't imagine anyone being better than Paige in those areas or who has as much of Geno's trust.
it can also depend on who is the primary SG & if they're able to make their shots.
I think that Geno will react to how well plays are being executed on the court.
Another important factor is that Paige hasn't had as much recent experience at PG becaue of Nika & also KK playing it.
That makes it all the more important for Paige to re-establish her leadership position as being the primary PG.
There aren't that many tough games on the schedule.
If Paige is not the primary PG then that could mean the team is lacking an effective SG, or isn't able to execute as well as it should.
If this year's ream is going to be Paige's team then she needs to run the team as it's QB and know when to pass & when to shoot because she's going to be drawing a lot of attention.
The other PG's & players are going to need to learn how to penetrate, shoot & score efficientlly or else they'll become too over reliant on Paige to do all of the hard work to score.
It's better that Paige is the primary PG for the most part so she can decide who gets the passes & draw the defense away from the others.
She has the best court vision & BB IQ.
Nika was a very good PG, as is Chen & KK.
But I don't trust that any of them really know how to creatively distribute the ball to other players as well as Paige can.
But all of the players should know how to penetrate & score when Paige passes them the ball, if she's not shooting.

Reaction Score
Everything you said here I view things much differently. Oh well. I don't understand how you look at postions and intepretation of them. I was trying to get an understanding of that. Not saying you are wrong but I don't even understand what you are speaking of in terms of "Paige Buckets" and your view of SG in relation (or not) to Paige. And your points about Azzi.

At times we'll run into these situations but I believe we are very friendly. So, no big deal. Please don't take offense if I question - sometimes I can't help it. I mean no offense. If this is how you look at things - that's fine. Because even when Paige leaves we'll have other players we'll speak of., and I'm sure we'll have a much different view as to what they are. But I will be more cognizant of the differences between your view and mine in the future - will not try to respond at anything I feel is near minutia. :)
Don’t worry. I was in no way offended. Plus, I probably contributed to the misfire between our posts. I was writing on my phone which tossed in a few stray ‘autocorrects’ to undermine my own clarity.

My main point, as ever, is that the greatest players are really hard to fit in a category. This is why I like the term ‘bucket.’ It isn’t a simple position. Buckets, like Paige or Maya or Diana or even Stewie, do whatever is needed to make their team win. They may resemble a PG or an SG or a PF or a stretch-4 or even a C. But they always seem to be something more.

sun

Reaction Score
Nothing would be worse than seeing Paige get overworked just to be able to touch the ball.
That would be more exhausting than simply bringing the ball upcourt.
That 's what happened with Lou when she was constantly harrassed without fouls being caalled when she tried to get free to receive passes & to make her shots.
The more that Paige is able to touch the ball, the more protection that she'll have from fouls, and the freedom to make the game winning decisions about whether to pass, shoot, make assists or fakes etc...
Since she's got the moves & the vision, she should be able to exercise the freedom to use her gifts to the fullest extent to win the big games.
New teammates will require her to practice more as the primary PG.
She'll be working in tandem with others & won't always be on the floor, but more often than not Paige will need to work on exercising her will to learn how to conttol the offensive flow & the outcome of the big games.
IMO there's really no other way to have the Paige & Azzi show.
Caitlin Clark was allowed the freedom to do it and so should be.

Reaction Score
Positionless basketball = all of the above. However, when the game is on the line, Paige will have the ball in her hands.
"ball in her hands.....most of the time" Point guard will become a nonnamed position soon.

Reaction Score
Nothing would be worse than seeing Paige get overworked just to be able to touch the ball.
That 's what happened with Lou when she was constantly harrassed without fouls being caalled when she tried to get free to receive passes & to make her shots.
The more that Paige is able to touch the ball, the more protection that she'll have from fouls, and the freedom to make the game winning decisions about whether to pass, shoot, make assists or fakes etc...
Since she's got the moves & the vision, she should be able to exercise the freedom to use her gifts to the fullest extent to win the big games.
New teammates will require her to practice more as the primary PG.
She'll be working in tandem with others & won't always be on the floor, but more often than not Paige will need to work on exercising her will to learn how to conttol the offensive flow & the outcome of the big games.
IMO there's really no other way to have the Paige & Azzi show.
Caitlin Clark was allowed the freedom to do it and so should be.
DT was the best offensive guard on her UConn teams and can play point guard. Yet, Sue Bird and Maria Conlon were her point guards on her national championship teams.

Even when in the past few seasons UConn was short-manned, and by your logic Paige should have played point guard to preserve her, Geno chose otherwise with Evina, Nika and KK as her point guards that brought up the ball.

Paige will be harassed wherever she plays because she is UConn’s best player. But she has managed it. As noted above, contrary to your claim, being the primary ball handler and table setter is very physically demanding. You probably don’t want more defensive attention on Paige.

Paige can play 1-4 efficiently and Paige did play the most point guard minutes her freshman year. But players in her freshman season tend to Paige-watch when she’s the point guard, impairing the motion offense. Geno moved her from point guard because he needs the offense to flow better and he needs her to score in the motion offense that will find her the best shot.

There are times when Paige will play point, such as in crunch time (of any game including big games), when the other team is pressing or to settle the team in a deliberate offense. But overall Paige plays fewer possessions as a point guard than at other positions.

As noted before, Carla Berube chose Azzi as the point guard in the U17 super team that featured Azzi, Paige, Haley Jones, Horston and Boston as its starting five.

So it’s not just Geno. But it is Geno’s team and it is his predilections that matter here.

[About Caitlyn. Her most effective game is being a ball-dominant point guard which worked for Iowa and the Fever].

Reaction Score
I guess that's what we are left with in these "Days Of Waiting" to try to conjecture about a PG and/or starting lineup. It's especially challenging to do with players who have yet to take the floor in a Div I college game and/or coming off significant injuries. I know. I know. There's AAU experience etc. but to me that's not exactly the same experience. Anyway, color me with chicken feathers because I prefer to not go out on a limb when there is so little actual info to go on at this point. But, please, don't stop the conjecturing. It's fun to read all the responses. Some of them might even be right!

Reaction Score
DT was the best offensive guard on her UConn teams and can play point guard. Yet, Sue Bird and Maria Conlon were her point guards on her national championship teams.

Even when in the past few seasons UConn was short-manned, and by your logic Paige should have played point guard to preserve her, Geno chose otherwise with Evina, Nika and KK as her point guards that brought up the ball.

Paige will be harassed wherever she plays because she is UConn’s best player. But she has managed it. As noted above, contrary to your claim, being the primary ball handler and table setter is very physically demanding. You probably don’t want more defensive attention on Paige.

Paige can play 1-4 efficiently and Paige did play the most point guard minutes her freshman year. But players in her freshman season tend to Paige-watch when she’s the point guard, impairing the motion offense. Geno moved her from point guard because he needs the offense to flow better and he needs her to score in the motion offense that will find her the best shot.

There are times when Paige will play point, such as in crunch time (of any game including big games), when the other team is pressing or to settle the team in a deliberate offense. But overall Paige plays fewer possessions as a point guard than at other positions.

As noted before, Carla Berube chose Azzi as the point guard in the U17 super team that featured Azzi, Paige, Haley Jones, Horston and Boston as its starting five.

So it’s not just Geno. But it is Geno’s team and it is his predilections that matter here.

[About Caitlyn. Her most effective game is being a ball-dominant point guard which worked for Iowa and the Fever].
I love this post. I'll just add that if Paige has to work extremely hard to get the ball when playing off-the-ball then something is very, very, very wrong. UCONN didn't get Chen to make it harder for Paige. UCONN didn't get #1 recruits Azzi and Sarah to make it harder for Paige. UCONN didn't get a top International 6'5 recruit in Jana to make it harder for Paige. The minutes that KK, Ashlynn, Q, and Ice got with an expectation that at at least sime will improve isn't going to make it harder for Paige -- etc. Just because Paige makes other players better that doesn't mean others can't make Paige better too.

This year isn't supposed to be like the the 3 tyears though we say it every year that the team isn't supposed to go through mega-injuires. This team is projected to be much stronger than the actual mega-injury teams once injuires occurred.

Reaction Score
Maybe it dates me, but when I think of the PGs I watched growing up what sticks in my mind is that they have a lot more responsibility than just bringing the ball up the court or driving and dishing. Yes, they initiate the offense. But even on the offensive end of the floor they are also minding the defensive side.
  • A long rebound on a missed shot or a live-ball turnover is their responsibility to get back on defense for. They are the first line of defense against the opponent's transition game.
  • This is what I mean when I say the PG is responsible for maintaining floor balance. It she dives to the basket on pick-and-roll or similar play, they have to make sure someone else takes over at the top of the key, even if they make the layup.
  • And on the defensive end of the court, they are typically tasked with defending the opposing PG. These are extremely high energy players, maybe more than any other on the team.
  • They also tend to be the loudest player on the floor. This was one of Nika's super powers. And just an observation from my youth: quiet teams tend to lose. The PG is the motivator, the floor general, the organizer, and the visionary.
There is nothing about this position that would be restful for Paige. It is most suited to "Energizer Bunnies" like KK and Kaitlyn (and Morgan), and Kelis starting next year. These kids have energy to burn.

Exactly! Paige can certainly play PG, and may well do so at the next level. But we've all seen what happens at this level when she takes this much control of a game: the team watches her and the motion offense becomes stagnant. This happened a lot her freshman year. When Geno said "the team plays better with Nika on the floor," one thing he may have meant is that there's less Paige-watching. Even this season there was still Paige-watching especially in the high pressure games, and this is to be expected with a lot of freshmen in the lineup. Geno can minimize this by having other PG options besides Paige, and this is exactly what he will have this season. Put KK or Kaitlyn at PG, and station Paige at one wing and Ash or Azzi at the other and no one will be cheating into the paint to double up Jana and Ice or Sarah. That is, Paige influences opposing defenses even when she doesn't have the ball.

Just a tangent, but I remember this series like it was yesterday. Azzi was the youngest player on the floor and yet she was awesome. And that summer and the next, Jordan Horston was unleashed, launching her into D1 WBB. I think the presence of other great players really opened up the floor for her. And she was a demon on defense.

sun

Reaction Score
When Paige is on the floor playing PG, I see Chen as being more of a Chrstyn Williams type of player because she can move, elevate and is a 3 level scorer,.
If Azzi is in the game then she becomes the SG.
That's what makes the most sense to me.
KK would be a sub for Chen or if Paige needs a break.
If Azzi if not ready to go then Allie, Shade, Carol or Morgan can be called on.
But no way do I see 3 PG's in the game at the same time.
That would be too much redundancy.
Paige can play SG but the PG needs to be a 3 level scoring threat and the best decision maker on the team responsible for the offensive flow, decision making & the outcome of the game.
Geno will want to help Paige to showcase her PG abilities because of the WNBA draft & because she's been the backbone of the team for so long,
Paige can best decide who to feed the ball to because UConn can't win with Paige being the only superstar,
Everyone else will need to step up.
Paige will take some of the heat off them by drawing the defense, but they also need to take the heat off of her by making their shots when she feeds them the ball.
Paige can find the weaknesses of the other teams better than Chen.
And when it comes to feeding Jana, Satah, Chen or Azzi or whoever, Geno already trusts her.
A NC winning year requires some new ideas, better shooting & better execution then in recent losing years.
After all, Paige is the ultimate UConn Alpha gal.
She doesn't need to play PG on defense, but UConn will need her to play PG on offense.

Reaction Score

Bird didn't play the point because she was a better point than Taurasi, it was because Taurasi was a better sg than Bird. Bueckers played sg because Muhl's scoring wasn't good enough to be a 2. If UConn had had more scorers in 2003-2004, and in 2021-2024 then Bueckers would have played the point.

The fatigue of bringing the ball up is overblown. Defenders can be much more physical with a player without the ball in her hands.

From what I see at this point in time UConn will not be having long offensive possessions this season. With the depth they have UConn will emphasize up-tempo, pushing the ball even after made baskets. That does require that the 1st year players adapt and become contributors but I'm very optimistic on that happening.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Exactly! Paige can certainly play PG, and may well do so at the next level. But we've all seen what happens at this level when she takes this much control of a game: the team watches her and the motion offense becomes stagnant.

That wouldn't happen now. Fudd, Strong, Ziebell, Samuels, Ducharme and Shade all shoot without hesitation and are all efficient shooters.

Reaction Score
Bird didn't play the point because she was a better point than Taurasi, it was because Taurasi was a better sg than Bird. Bueckers played sg because Muhl's scoring wasn't good enough to be a 2. If UConn had had more scorers in 2003-2004, and in 2021-2024 then Bueckers would have played the point.

The fatigue of bringing the ball up is overblown. Defenders can be much more physical with a player without the ball in her hands.

From what I see at this point in time UConn will not be having long offensive possessions this season. With the depth they have UConn will emphasize up-tempo, pushing the ball even after made baskets. That does require that the 1st year players adapt and become contributors but I'm very optimistic on that happening.
My post is in response to the statements in the quoted Sun’s post that said (paraphrased):
  • (a) “if the best offensive player (Paige) who happens to also be a point guard is having to exert a lot of effort to receive a pass, she would probably better off being the point guard”;
  • (b) “if Paige were to avoid the abuse that Lou experienced, she’s better off being the point guard”;
  • (c) “since Paige is the best player who is also the best point guard, the offense would work better if she is the point guard”.
Geno has already decided that (a), (b) and (c) don’t hold water for him based on how he has utilized Paige, the other point guards and the other players.

Re: Sue. DT is the analog to Paige in (a) in 2000-2003. DT was not the point guard in DT’s championship years. Full Stop.
  • That Diana / Paige was the better shooter in their teams, while true, was not the main point in Sun’s point (a) (a point which Hophuskee has pointed out to be dubious).
Re: Paige as PG. Geno said a while back in Paige’s freshman year that all the players said Paige was the best player.
  • He also said in jest that Paige is the best passer and the best scorer and that the offense would be best if she could pass to herself to score;
  • In the same vein, he said the players tend to watch Paige (which we could all see);
  • And, of course, he decided to move Paige off-ball (more below) and exhorted Paige to be aggressive.
Re: Nika as PG because she is not a lethal shooting guard.
  • Geno said he likes Nika as point guard since Nika pushes pace and the resulting offense moved better;
  • it is also true that Nika was not lethal as a shooting guard; yes, both things can be true at the same time;
  • Geno’s official reason is what he says.
Re: your assertion that Paige would be point guard if everyone were healthy and there are enough scorers:
  • how do you know for certain that would be Geno’s thinking?
  • this is arguing a hypothetical, and nothing you or I say at this point # can be dispositive;
  • I could point out that in DT and Sue’s two Superteams, DT was not the point guard as a window into Geno’s thinking;
  • I could also point out that whenever Geno had another point guard, he has decided to move Paige off-ball with his official reasons noted above.
# I am aware that you have always thought Paige should be the point guard. We will know by this season, on Day 1 as well as when Azzi returns whether Geno would use Paige as the point guard instead of both Kaitlyn and KK.

===

Re: Point guard duties being overblown.
  • Have you seen Swin defend Tamika Catchings (who is not a point guard)?
  • Have you seen Nika defend Caitlyn Clark?
  • If a player has that kind of season-long intense defense focus, it will wear that player down.
  • And Geno expects Paige to be the best scorer. Do you remember Sue to be the best scorer on her teams?

Reaction Score
My post is in response to the statements in the quoted Sun’s post that said (paraphrased):
  • (a) “if the best offensive player (Paige) who happens to also be a point guard is having to exert a lot of effort to receive a pass, she would probably better off being the point guard”;
  • (b) “if Paige were to avoid the abuse that Lou experienced, she’s better off being the point guard”;
  • (c) “since Paige is the best player who is also the best point guard, the offense would work better if she is the point guard”.
Geno has already decided that (a), (b) and (c) don’t hold water for him based on how he has utilized Paige, the other point guards and the other players.

Re: Sue. DT is the analog to Paige in (a) in 2000-2003. DT was not the point guard in DT’s championship years. Full Stop.
  • That Diana / Paige was the better shooter in their teams, while true, was not the main point in Sun’s point (a) (a point which Hophuskee has pointed out to be dubious).
Re: Paige as PG. Geno said a while back in Paige’s freshman year that all the players said Paige was the best player.
  • He also said in jest that Paige is the best passer and the best scorer and that the offense would be best if she could pass to herself to score;
  • In the same vein, he said the players tend to watch Paige (which we could all see);
  • And, of course, he decided to move Paige off-ball (more below) and exhorted Paige to be aggressive.
Re: Nika as PG because she is not a lethal shooting guard.
  • Geno said he likes Nika as point guard since Nika pushes pace and the resulting offense moved better;
  • it is also true that Nika was not lethal as a shooting guard; yes, both things can be true at the same time;
  • Geno’s official reason is what he says.
Re: your assertion that Paige would be point guard if everyone were healthy and there are enough scorers:
  • this is arguing a hypothetical, and nothing you or I say at this point # can be dispositive;
  • I could point out that in DT and Sue’s two Superteams, DT was not the point guard as a window into Geno’s thinking;
  • I could also point out that whenever Geno had another point guard, he has decided to move Paige off-ball with his official reasons noted above.
# I am aware that you have always thought Paige should be the point guard. We will know by this season, on Day 1 as well as when Azzi returns whether Geno would use Paige as the point guard instead of both Kaitlyn and KK.

===

• If a player has that kind of season-long intense defense focus, it will wear that player down.
  • And Geno expects Paige to be the best scorer. Do you remember Sue to be the best scorer on her teams?
Love your post! With that said this year - everything is on the board. From Paige being the primary PG to being something else and maybe we go very small or very big. And maybe a player like Q fits like a glove this year with Paige and the others etc. This year is crazy. All is on the table. :)

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
Ever since I began visiting the BY I’ve appreciated, admired. Per-haps even been a little envious at times at the intelligence and ability to express ideas and concepts demonstrated by my fellow UConn fans.

Yes, here comes the “but”. :)

I swear, it seems as if many seem to think that if Paige isn’t the “designated” PG somehow all her talents and abilities magically disappear! Head bang

Bringing up Caitlyn Clark as justifying having your best player at Point is a straw man argument. Iowa only had 2 high level players until last year when they had 3.

In grade school, high school, yes you tend to have your best player at PG. or someone who can dribble the damn ball.

When you get to D1 at a top 10 level institution and you have to put your best player at point. . . You’re not even in the top 30.

Hells bells our injury ridden team nearly beat Iowa last year in the final four.

Somehow, many seem to forget, at UConn, the coaching staff is going to place players on the floor to maximize “everyone’s” talents in a team structure to win.

If Paige is the “PG” this season I’ll just quit trying to apply intellect though to team structure and the approach I’ve observed from UConn for several years now.

I expect to see Kaitlyn Chan as point, followed by KK and perhaps a freshman to see how they handle themselves in a real game.

I expect to see Jana Al Alfie owning the paint. Followed by I don’t care.

In regards to the other 3 players on the floor and who’s available to play I’m sure there are a number of BY’ers here that could calculate the number of possible combinations available. I could probably find a webpage where I could plugin the numbers and get an answer. . . But I don’t care.

There is not a single kid on this team I don’t hope the best for and look forward to watching them grow up and learn to play the game as it’s taught at UConn.

Final thought. . . Based on what I’ve seen in the past, I expect to see Paige, Ashlyn, Ice or Sarah on the flood as well when the season begins. ;)

sun

Reaction Score
Ever since I began visiting the BY I’ve appreciated, admired. Per-haps even been a little envious at times at the intelligence and ability to express ideas and concepts demonstrated by my fellow UConn fans.

Yes, here comes the “but”. :)

I swear, it seems as if many seem to think that if Paige isn’t the “designated” PG somehow all her talents and abilities magically disappear! Head bang

Bringing up Caitlyn Clark as justifying having your best player at Point is a straw man argument. Iowa only had 2 high level players until last year when they had 3.

In grade school, high school, yes you tend to have your best player at PG. or someone who can dribble the damn ball.

When you get to D1 at a top 10 level institution and you have to put your best player at point. . . You’re not even in the top 30.

Hells bells our injury ridden team nearly beat Iowa last year in the final four.

Somehow, many seem to forget, at UConn, the coaching staff is going to place players on the floor to maximize “everyone’s” talents in a team structure to win.

If Paige is the “PG” this season I’ll just quit trying to apply intellect though to team structure and the approach I’ve observed from UConn for several years now.

I expect to see Kaitlyn Chan as point, followed by KK and perhaps a freshman to see how they handle themselves in a real game.

I expect to see Jana Al Alfie owning the paint. Followed by I don’t care.

In regards to the other 3 players on the floor and who’s available to play I’m sure there are a number of BY’ers here that could calculate the number of possible combinations available. I could probably find a webpage where I could plugin the numbers and get an answer. . . But I don’t care.

There is not a single kid on this team I don’t hope the best for and look forward to watching them grow up and learn to play the game as it’s taught at UConn.

Final thought. . . Based on what I’ve seen in the past, I expect to see Paige, Ashlyn, Ice or Sarah on the flood as well when the season begins. ;)
If you saw what happened at the end of the Iowa game last year, then you know that our PG play at the very end of the game was less than stellar.
I don't blame it on Nika because Geno is the playmaker-in-chief.
In hindsight it seems like more than a coincidence that most of UConn's losses last season were to teams that had All-American quality PG's such as Iowa, Notre Dame, UCLA & Texas.
And that's not including the loses to NC State or SCAR.

It's been mentioned that Paige had to play power forward due to injuries.
However that won't be the case this year.
Paige & Azzi haven't played together for 2 years now.
It's about time that they get to play together & while playing their positions of strength before that window of opportunity closes.
Chen & KK or great PG's but they're not close to being All-American PG's yet.
Paige won all of her national awards in her freshmen year as a PG because she was sensational.
If I were Geno, I would give strong consideration to which position that Paige wants to play.
She has the tools & the heart, now she just needs the opportunity.
I think that Geno owes her one for all of her years of sacrifices.

Reaction Score

Not-so-much for Caitlyn last night vs. the Sun; however, I don't remember the last time Caitlyn was at least slightly off two games in a row....

Reaction Score

===

how do you know for certain that would be Geno’s thinking?
Am I the only one who needs to "know for certain"? This thread is 100% speculation. Even the comments about the past are based on speculation.

I already said that Taurasi played the 2 because she was a far better scorer than Bird. It had nothing to do with their pg skills. They were likely the 2 best pg's in wcbb that year but only Taurasi would have been an AA at the 2. any coach would have played them the same way.

To my eyes, in 2024-2025 UConn has elite level players at every position IF Buckers plays pg. If Bueckers moves somewhere else then they are elite everywhere BUT at pg. Both Arnold and Chen may change my assessment but not yet.
If Geno had had another scorer with a 3pt shot in 2021 then Bueckers would likely have stayed at the point. At this time UConn has a number of elite-level off-guard scorers this coming season but only one at pg, Bueckers. None of the other current pg candidates would be called "elite". Maybe one will emerge but not right now.

Reaction Score
Since a related topic is active on the general board, perhaps we might chew on this over here too. I have a few observations.
  • Paige is clearly the best PG in WBB, but there may be reasons not to use her in that spot this season, or at least not exclusively. She is a dazzling playmaker and floor general, as she has proven many times. But she is great in more ways than this, and if Geno uses her exclusively as a PG he may eclipse other players who aren't quite as versatile.
  • Azzi could be a good PG, but this doesn't seem to fit her as well as it does Paige. I'm reminded of the Texas game 2 seasons ago, where she was brilliant as the PG, dominated the game, but it still seemed like a loose fit for her. SG seems so much more clearly to fit the way she thinks and reacts on the court. She is probably the pre-eminent SG in the game right now.
  • KK is Geno's budding PG, but she may not be all the way there yet. On defense, she seems ready, but her offense is still rounding into form. The puzzle is how else to use her if not as PG. She is not quite SG material on offense which means she'd cost Geno a shooter when she's the on the floor as anything other than a PG.
  • Kaitlyn is a fully fledged PG, as she has demonstrated over the past two seasons. She is solid at both ends of the floor, but can also be a second scorer at the SG spot.
  • Morgan has the intensity on defense to be an excellent PG, and her size makes her a matchup nightmare for most other teams. She's not the shooter that Paige or Azzi (or Sarah) is, but she can crash the boards with the best guard in the game. At her best, Morgan is playmaker and a rebounder and full court defender, but she may need to develop the "court balance" mentality the best PGs have.
You may have noticed that Ash and Allie are not in this list. I don't doubt that if pressed, either could cover the spot for portions of a game. But it is clearly not Ash's best spot, and I suspect Allie will also seem out of place as a PG.

Finally, what about Sarah? She has good handles and a fabulous perimeter shot, as well as awesome rebounding and scoring skills in the paint. She may not have the foot speed to keep up with the quickest opponents on the perimeter. But she has really quick, strong hands and that may make up for a lot. I'm not seriously suggesting she play PG, merely because there are lots of other things Geno will want to use her for. But I can also imagine that her skillset may end up overlapping with whoever the PG is at any moment.
To the question asked in the thread title by the OP, YES!!! [My wife's favorite answer to either/or multi-choice questions].

Any three of them should be able to break the Ohio State Press or anyone imitating them, with any combination of Sarah, Ice, AP, Jana, Griffin, Q, and Ash.

Outstanding Defense & fast break opportunities should also follow.

Go Huskies!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Don’t worry. I was in no way offended. Plus, I probably contributed to the misfire between our posts. I was writing on my phone which tossed in a few stray ‘autocorrects’ to undermine my own clarity.

My main point, as ever, is that the greatest players are really hard to fit in a category. This is why I like the term ‘bucket.’ It isn’t a simple position. Buckets, like Paige or Maya or Diana or even Stewie, do whatever is needed to make their team win. They may resemble a PG or an SG or a PF or a stretch-4 or even a C. But they always seem to be something more.
By PF, I believe you are saying "Point Forward" [Maya & Stewie, and hopefully Sarah Strong] vice Power Forward.

I believe the term that applies to most of the Huskies this season is "outstanding handles" so passing should be crisp, and able to be put through very small windows quickly, and good hands {as well as outstanding anticipation by those receiving the passes} to set new records for assists as they all can "put the ball in the hoop."

Go Huskies!!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom