PG for this season: Paige, Azzi, KK, Kaitlyn, Morgan | The Boneyard

PG for this season: Paige, Azzi, KK, Kaitlyn, Morgan

Reaction Score
Since a related topic is active on the general board, perhaps we might chew on this over here too. I have a few observations.
  • Paige is clearly the best PG in WBB, but there may be reasons not to use her in that spot this season, or at least not exclusively. She is a dazzling playmaker and floor general, as she has proven many times. But she is great in more ways than this, and if Geno uses her exclusively as a PG he may eclipse other players who aren't quite as versatile.
  • Azzi could be a good PG, but this doesn't seem to fit her as well as it does Paige. I'm reminded of the Texas game 2 seasons ago, where she was brilliant as the PG, dominated the game, but it still seemed like a loose fit for her. SG seems so much more clearly to fit the way she thinks and reacts on the court. She is probably the pre-eminent SG in the game right now.
  • KK is Geno's budding PG, but she may not be all the way there yet. On defense, she seems ready, but her offense is still rounding into form. The puzzle is how else to use her if not as PG. She is not quite SG material on offense which means she'd cost Geno a shooter when she's the on the floor as anything other than a PG.
  • Kaitlyn is a fully fledged PG, as she has demonstrated over the past two seasons. She is solid at both ends of the floor, but can also be a second scorer at the SG spot.
  • Morgan has the intensity on defense to be an excellent PG, and her size makes her a matchup nightmare for most other teams. She's not the shooter that Paige or Azzi (or Sarah) is, but she can crash the boards with the best guard in the game. At her best, Morgan is playmaker and a rebounder and full court defender, but she may need to develop the "court balance" mentality the best PGs have.
You may have noticed that Ash and Allie are not in this list. I don't doubt that if pressed, either could cover the spot for portions of a game. But it is clearly not Ash's best spot, and I suspect Allie will also seem out of place as a PG.

Finally, what about Sarah? She has good handles and a fabulous perimeter shot, as well as awesome rebounding and scoring skills in the paint. She may not have the foot speed to keep up with the quickest opponents on the perimeter. But she has really quick, strong hands and that may make up for a lot. I'm not seriously suggesting she play PG, merely because there are lots of other things Geno will want to use her for. But I can also imagine that her skillset may end up overlapping with whoever the PG is at any moment.

Reaction Score
I don't really see it happening. Especially this year. But I will be interested to see if Morgan plays any point guard at UConn.

I don't want to see Azzi at point guard. Not after that Ohio State game. She seems to be a lot more comfortable at shooting guard. Sometimes you want to put a player in position to succeed instead of asking them to sacrifice for the team. I think Azzi has had a lot of adversity at UConn. I would prefer to see her played in her best and most comfortable position.

Chen. She might be the best option for point guard three. I agree with her inclusion on the list.

packwrap

The real 'shlynn Shadey
Reaction Score
I think we will see KK and Kaitlyn at point with Paige at 2/3. Paige can now play anywhere (even 5 lol), but like Muhl the K's are basically point guards, so this gets most out of the team.

Similarly, Sarah can play a lot of positions, but best for the team will be having her at 4. She can still use all her perimeter skills in that role.

Barring injuries, I think the starting 5 by tournament time will be 1- Kaitlyn, 2- Paige, 3- Azzi, 4- Sarah, 5- Jana.

Fortunately, there are many talented women who will see a lot of paying time and be ready if needed.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Since a related topic is active on the general board, perhaps we might chew on this over here too. I have a few observations.
  • Paige is clearly the best PG in WBB, but there may be reasons not to use her in that spot this season, or at least not exclusively. She is a dazzling playmaker and floor general, as she has proven many times. But she is great in more ways than this, and if Geno uses her exclusively as a PG he may eclipse other players who aren't quite as versatile.
  • Azzi could be a good PG, but this doesn't seem to fit her as well as it does Paige. I'm reminded of the Texas game 2 seasons ago, where she was brilliant as the PG, dominated the game, but it still seemed like a loose fit for her. SG seems so much more clearly to fit the way she thinks and reacts on the court. She is probably the pre-eminent SG in the game right now.
  • KK is Geno's budding PG, but she may not be all the way there yet. On defense, she seems ready, but her offense is still rounding into form. The puzzle is how else to use her if not as PG. She is not quite SG material on offense which means she'd cost Geno a shooter when she's the on the floor as anything other than a PG.
  • Kaitlyn is a fully fledged PG, as she has demonstrated over the past two seasons. She is solid at both ends of the floor, but can also be a second scorer at the SG spot.
  • Morgan has the intensity on defense to be an excellent PG, and her size makes her a matchup nightmare for most other teams. She's not the shooter that Paige or Azzi (or Sarah) is, but she can crash the boards with the best guard in the game. At her best, Morgan is playmaker and a rebounder and full court defender, but she may need to develop the "court balance" mentality the best PGs have.
You may have noticed that Ash and Allie are not in this list. I don't doubt that if pressed, either could cover the spot for portions of a game. But it is clearly not Ash's best spot, and I suspect Allie will also seem out of place as a PG.

Finally, what about Sarah? She has good handles and a fabulous perimeter shot, as well as awesome rebounding and scoring skills in the paint. She may not have the foot speed to keep up with the quickest opponents on the perimeter. But she has really quick, strong hands and that may make up for a lot. I'm not seriously suggesting she play PG, merely because there are lots of other things Geno will want to use her for. But I can also imagine that her skillset may end up overlapping with whoever the PG is at any moment.
In that Texas game you reference Muhl was effectively the PG in the first half, Fudd in the second half. Overall in that game Muhl had 9 assists, 3 turnovers. Fudd had 4 assists, 7 turnovers.

When fully healthy Fudd has shown the potential to be the best player in wcbb. She has never shown the decision making potential to be an elite PG.

Reaction Score
In that Texas game you reference Muhl was effectively the PG in the first half, Fudd in the second half. Overall in that game Muhl had 9 assists, 3 turnovers. Fudd had 4 assists, 7 turnovers.

When fully healthy Fudd has shown the potential to be the best player in wcbb. She has never shown the decision making potential to be an elite PG.

I agree. But in the U17's she started at pg and Bueckers started at sg for the US team.

Reaction Score

Great writeup.

I think Cheli and Ziebell have the same odds of seeing time at pg. Zilch. They could but there are multiple other and better options, as you said. Ziebell is an outstanding 3 level scorer and Cheli at the 3 gives Geno a 3 guard option and another rebounder at the same time.

Reaction Score

Enjoyed your analysis but I do have one quibble. Paige is the best shooting guard (and PG) in the game. Azzi may well become that, but right now, she is definitely behind Paige. I would also have to say she is behind Juju as well. If she can be fully healthy, this might have to be revisited later on.

Reaction Score
Morgan is likely to be a wing player. There’s already an over abundance of PGs on the team, and with Morgan’s length and height, I would think Geno wants her crashing the boards and defending the perimeter. Like he said in an interview, it’s not everyday you get a 6’2 player who’s a guard, not a forward.

I assume Geno’s gonna have multiple playmakers. One that primarily brings up the ball to set the offense up, likely Chen/KK, and then people like PB and SS can distribute it once it’s within the court and look for the best shots. SS showed herself to be an elite passer at the 3x3, and PB always looks for her teammates.

Morgan was an excellent transition passer in HS, especially with her connection to Woliczko. Someone like Aubrey paired with Morgan would make for a dangerous transition duo, as Morgan’s capable of throwing the 3/4 court pass for an easy lay in if the player is fast enough. So I could maybe see Geno utilizing her passing skills in the fast break/transtion game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Morgan was an excellent transition passer in HS, especially with her connection to Woliczko. Someone like Aubrey paired with Morgan would make for a dangerous transition duo,
Intriguing observation. I hadn’t drawn the parallel before between Nika and Morgan, but the transition passing is the salient shared quality as well as her defensive skills at the top of the key and the tip of the press. Her finishing skills are better than Nika’s, which should bring her to the fore at some point in her first two seasons. Also, while she can shoot the 3 she’s not elite from there. And as you say, a 6’2” pg is an interesting asset for a coach like Geno who knows how to develop big guards.

Reaction Score
UCONN has great versatility with many guards that can perform well against any team or in any situation. An embarrassment of riches.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
You want a point guard with experience who can lead the team and is a floor general. KK Paige and Chen imo fill that need. Azzi is a shooter and scorer that where she belongs. Morgan needs experience at the college level. Think about having the scorers we have and the attention they will draw from defenses then picture a Paige KK or Chen dribble drive penetrating a defense and being doubled and kick it out to an Azzi or Sarah or another guard left wide open. Automatic. I think with so many options to score and scorers coming off the bench I dont see another team in WCBB that has that. Certainly no one has a Paige. We all talked about what it wouldve been like to have Lou playing with Paige and Azzi. Well we now have Chen playing with Paige and Azzi and Sarah too. 3 number 1 HS players all on the same team. Pretty incredible. Not to mention Jana who could be considered a HS number 1. We are really good and loaded but we must remain healthy and that means Azzi Jana Paige Caroline Yana and Griff must avoid being muscled by defenses

Reaction Score
Positionless basketball = all of the above. However, when the game is on the line, Paige will have the ball in her hands.
No such thing as positionless basketball. Right now the discussion is all about positions/ i.e about versatilty. When games are close UCONN has 3 pg's they can turn to right from the beginning and they probably can play very well well vs any team when they are on the floor together too.

UCONN's perimeter potential is off-the-charts.Their versatitlity is off-the charts.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Positionless basketball = all of the above. However, when the game is on the line, Paige will have the ball in her hands.
Short and right to the point, what's needed is a speedy agile pg to bring the ball up the court. After that as oldude says positionless basketball takes place, with the best player in WCBB taking charge. This is Geno's MO, it won't change this year. I am counting the days until First Night, the first tip off, the first win and the 2024-2025 NC's Huskies.

Reaction Score
Great writeup.

I think Cheli and Ziebell have the same odds of seeing time at pg. Zilch. They could but there are multiple other and better options, as you said. Ziebell is an outstanding 3 level scorer and Cheli at the 3 gives Geno a 3 guard option and another rebounder at the same time.
If there is a scenario where uconn is desperate. And they have to use one of them at point guard. I prefer Morgan over Allie in that role. Mainly just because I think Morgan is quicker and more athletic.

Reaction Score
If Chen makes the adjustments needed to be UConn's PG, then I think the job is hers, with KK for backup. Paige is too important to bring the ball down court every play and it is better for the offense if she is free to get open for a shot or a pass. Lots of talent on this team makes the opportunity to run the floor and bring in replacements. I think we will see 2 or 3 different PG's in a game...

Reaction Score
I agree. But in the U17's she started at pg and Bueckers started at sg for the US team.
Thank you! Folks are so quick to write off Azzi's PG skills. She may not be Sue Bird like (or whatever ideal PG that fits everyone's view of an ideal PG) but during that U17 run, she was Sue Bird like.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
You want a point guard with experience who can lead the team and is a floor general. KK Paige and Chen imo fill that need. Azzi is a shooter and scorer that where she belongs. Morgan needs experience at the college level. Think about having the scorers we have and the attention they will draw from defenses then picture a Paige KK or Chen dribble drive penetrating a defense and being doubled and kick it out to an Azzi or Sarah or another guard left wide open. Automatic.
:) if only! :) love your optimism ... but automatic?

i wish. i can't count the times a husky -- including maya, stewie and paige --had a wide open 'gimme' and managed to botch it.

sorry, tony. i get the points you're making, but that phrase had me shaking my head with laughter. if only it were true!

please guys, keep practicing making those 'automatic' opportunities -- your fans, coaches and teammates (think nika and her myriad assists that weren't, thanks to missed gimmies) would love it.

Reaction Score
Great writeup.

My personal opinion is Geno could use Cheli (as time goes on) as a transition/fast break passer, as that was probably her best use of court vision in HS. Not as a primary PG for the team, but someone who can hurl that ball full/3/4 court for the lay in with precision. It would especially be helpful since PB is leaving after this season and she's the best passer on the team currently, and can also throw the ball long distance for a bucket.

Reaction Score
Thank you! Folks are so quick to write off Azzi's PG skills. She may not be Sue Bird like (or whatever ideal PG that fits everyone's view of an ideal PG) but during that U17 run, she was Sue Bird like.
Two problems are that she has had multiple injuries since then and that there are 3 better-suited players on the roster.

Reaction Score
It is pretty easy to narrow this question to three not five. Azzi has never been and I suspect will never be a PG. She was like a deer in the headlights against the Ohio State press and has generally had a rate of assists that is a little low for a SG much less a PG. To her credit her turnovers are relatively low, but she is not a creative passer that can make things happen for others.

She is a great SG and any other position is a significant falloff for her. The three because she is not much of a rebounder. Of all the many guard candidates she should be kept mostly at the 2. Morgan has little chance of playing major minutes at the point as well. Not because she couldn't, but because we have three proven players that can play the point in Paige, KK and Kaitlin.

Presuming Azzi when healthy and Paige will be two of the three starters at 1-3, what position Paige plays depends on what third player fits best with those two. If that third starter was the 3, be it Caroline, Morgan, Ash, Q or even Allie, then Paige plays the point. If that third starter is KK or Kaitlin, they take the point and Paige plays the 3.

We shouldn't have to play people out of their best position very often because of Paige being able to be very effective 1-4. KK might benefit more this year by having a higher percentage of her minutes at the point with Nika gone. Kaitlin can swing between 1 and 2. Ash might have to continue to get her minutes more at the 3 because of Azzi, when she might be best at the 2, but of course she had to do that last year too. Caroline and Morgan can concentrate on being mostly 3's, but occasionally 4's in a small ball lineup, but shouldn't be needed much at the 2.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
There will likely be two or three point guards on the floor most of the time (counting Paige), and IMO thats a good thing. Neither Chen nor Arnold is a great three-point shooter, but there should be three good to very good distance shooters on the floor at all times. Chen and Arnold are both good penetrators and mid-range shooters, so having both on the floor can open up a plethora of possibilities.

To build on what others have said, Cheli could be a good piece -- recall how often Muhl or Bueckers got a rebound and made the long outlet pass. Cheli may be a better rebounder than either, Chen and Arnold are both fast, so there could be a lot of quick-hitting breaks this season.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
If KK is the point guard she better be out there doing it for a good chunk of the time. Azzi is no point guard. Morgan as point guard . A waste of a 6'2" shooting guard/ small forward.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom