PG Concern for 2015-16 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

PG Concern for 2015-16

Status
Not open for further replies.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
Also Jaylen Adams was the main ball handler and point guard for his prep team that also started 2 other highly recruited cats that are naturally pg's. He's got the skills to play the 1. It may be "a bit" optimistic, but I wouldn't be surprised if we see a Melo Trimble/D'angelo Russell type skill-set from him next year.... ... he's got the goods (like Madelyne Woods)

Reaction Score
Jalen Adams is a point guard and led his team to a third consecutive New England Championship. He ran point this year and was the best player on a team with players going to Louisville, Arizona, Washington, Georgetown, Wisconsin and Virginia. He also shared the backcourt last year with Kaleb Joseph (Syracuse) and Adams was the better player last year, capped the championship off with a game winning shot.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Yes, but, he's a freshman. He could be superman in cape, but he's a freshman. When was the last time a freshman pg lead a team to the promise land?

sammydabiz

Reaction Score
Yes, but, he's a freshman. He could be superman in cape, but he's a freshman. When was the last time a freshman pg lead a team to the promise land?
Promise land? as in national title? Not sure. But in all honesty, I'm just looking to be respectable again, a consistent top 15 team... that dominates the American, like we should, year in-year out. And we are all well aware, anything is possible in a single elimination tourney. Similar to how Trimble and Russell made their squads respectable this year. We can't disappear, like we did this year, with respect to the mainstream media....because ultimately, it negatively impacts recruiting.

Reaction Score
I thought this was a thread about point guard concerns for next year. Jalen Adams is our point guard and I'm not at all concerned. I didn't say we would win the whole thing, I'm sure he'll have some growing pains as almost all freshman do but I think he will be damn good and I think the team has a chance to be damn good especially if we add Miller next wknd and hopefully another piece or two. As for your question about when was the last time a freshman point guard led a team to the promise land? On Monday, Tyus Jones of Duke.

Reaction Score
I thought this was a thread about point guard concerns for next year. Jalen Adams is our point guard and I'm not at all concerned. I didn't say we would win the whole thing, I'm sure he'll have some growing pains as almost all freshman do but I think he will be damn good and I think the team has a chance to be damn good especially if we add Miller next wknd and hopefully another piece or two. As for your question about when was the last time a freshman point guard led a team to the promise land? On Monday, Tyus Jones of Duke.
Problem is we don't have an Okafor....

caw

Reaction Score
Jalen Adams is a point guard and led his team to a third consecutive New England Championship. He ran point this year and was the best player on a team with players going to Louisville, Arizona, Washington, Georgetown, Wisconsin and Virginia. He also shared the backcourt last year with Kaleb Joseph (Syracuse) and Adams was the better player last year, capped the championship off with a game winning shot.

All true but keep in mind that Kaleb Joseph was no scrub in high school and he had a very tough time adjusting. I think Adams is better but just something to keep in mind when building expectations for a freshman PG.

Reaction Score
Problem is we don't have an Okafor....
We don't have anything in the same stratosphere as Okafor but guards win in March and we definitely have something serious to work with in Adams, Purvis and Hamilton. If Miller commits a starting 5 of Adams, Purvis, Hamilton, Miller and Brimah is pretty damn good.

sammydabiz

Reaction Score
All true but keep in mind that Kaleb Joseph was no scrub in high school and he had a very tough time adjusting. I think Adams is better but just something to keep in mind when building expectations for a freshman PG.
True, but Joseph's athleticism was/is maybe a 6, Jaylen (for his size) might be the most athletic kid we've ever recruited, similar to Dyson.....add to that, he possesses a smooth skill-set similar to Bazz.
Watched a bit of Cuse this year, and imo Joseph was wildly overrated. Maybe I got my husky goggles on, but I think this kid (Adams) is gonna be special. He just has that "it" about him.

Reaction Score
OkaForPrez said:
I blocked that out.

If it weren't for us, it would have been 4 of the last 5 (Knight, Teague, Harrison, Jones). And I'd have probably given up on sports.

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score
I feel a lot better than most people here about next season. We return every important player from this season (minus the most important), and there should be a decent jump in development with Dham, Brimah and Purvis at full health over the summer. Of course I would love to see us fill the 3 wide open scholarships we have banked for no reason whatsoever but I'm not allowed to bring that up here. Add Shonn Miller and we are top 25 good next year.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't you the guy who pegged our odds of repeating at 50/50?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
You have to be pretty stupid to think that Boatright can't play point guard just because he played next to another point guard for three years.

You'd have to be pretty stupid to think he was a particularly effective point guard. It has nothing to do with playing alongside Bazz, except to show that that's what he did best. He's at his best when he isn't running the offense. It's pretty obvious to anyone who is being honest. Great player, love what be brought, but not a great PG.

Reaction Score
You'd have to be pretty stupid to think he was a particularly effective point guard. It has nothing to do with playing alongside Bazz, except to show that that's what he did best. He's at his best when he isn't running the offense. It's pretty obvious to anyone who is being honest. Great player, love what be brought, but not a great PG.

He just had what was easily his best season while playing on the ball.

sammydabiz

Reaction Score
He just had what was easily his best season while playing on the ball.
Statistically, he had his best season...but he's really just a 5'10 SG, he's not a true point. Great player nonetheless, and one my favorites to put on husky blue

Reaction Score
Statistically, he had his best season...but he's really just a 5'10 SG, he's not a true point. Great player nonetheless, and one my favorites to put on husky blue

He's a true point guard. See, I can just say things too!

He played shooting guard because Napier was the PG. Boatright was also a PG. He was recruited as a PG, and he functioned as a PG. His assist totals would have been a lot higher this year if anyone but him could hit an open jump shot.

sammydabiz

Reaction Score
He's a true point guard. See, I can just say things too!

He played shooting guard because Napier was the PG. Boatright was also a PG. He was recruited as a PG, and he functioned as a PG. His assist totals would have been a lot higher this year if anyone but him could hit an open jump shot.

Lol, Xanax bro...

Let me see, I'll state it another way, he's "played" point guard, buts he's naturally more of a shooting guard. As a point, ur job is to create scoring opportunities for others on the court, he's excellent at creating his own shot, but creating open looks for others he's had trouble with. Especially with respect to the pick n' roll, he occasionally missed his man cutting to the rim or had trouble seeing over the defender. When cutting to the basket, he definitely has the ability to make jaw dropping passes, but they're few and far between. He's best coming off screens, and creating his own shot off the dribble. Furthermore, I wouldn't confuse boat with being a "facilitator", heck DHam was more of a true "facilitator" this past season. I'm not knocking boat at all, because his skill-sets are superior, but to call him a true point, would be false. He's in the mold of a Kemba/Gordon, more than anything else and that's ok. But I would never confuse him with the KEA/Taliek/Marcus types of true 1's.

Reaction Score
Jalen certainly can't be expected to be what Boat was, but I think the biggest difference is that he won't be erequired to put up 18 pts a night. Ollie needs to have him predominantly focus on pg'ing straight from the get go. He needs to give him as much development as possible for later in the season. I feel like we are going to see large leaps by Hamilton in scoring. I saw his progress throughout the season as tremendous. Not necessarily in offensive stats, but in reduction of bonehead plays, adjusting to the college game and rebounding. I think he was warn down by the end of the season and missed a lot of short jumpers that he should of made. I expect him to put up 14-16 next year. Purvis will also progress as this was a difficult readjustment season for him. He won't step out of bounds as much next year. 1 or 2 solid additions to fill the gaps, general progression overall and maybe Calhoun even finding his shot, we might contend next year. At least be more formidable than a field of 64 play-in team.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Lol, Xanax bro...

Let me see, I'll state it another way, he's "played" point guard, buts he's naturally more of a shooting guard. As a point, ur job is to create scoring opportunities for others on the court, he's excellent at creating his own shot, but creating open looks for others he's had trouble with. Especially with respect to the pick n' roll, he occasionally missed his man cutting to the rim or had trouble seeing over the defender. When cutting to the basket, he definitely has the ability to make jaw dropping passes, but they're few and far between. He's best coming off screens, and creating his own shot off the dribble. Furthermore, I wouldn't confuse boat with being a "facilitator", heck DHam was more of a true "facilitator" this past season. I'm not knocking boat at all, because his skill-sets are superior, but to call him a true point, would be false. He's in the mold of a Kemba/Gordon, more than anything else and that's ok. But I would never confuse him with the KEA/Taliek/Marcus types of true 1's.

^^^This. Hamilton was more a point forward than Boat a point guard this year. Kemba created a lot more chances for his teammates than Boat ever did. I am hoping Adams is (eventually) a scoring point in the mold of Kemba/Bazz/KEA or a even a healthy AJ Price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom