OT: - Pete Gillen the Wordsmith | The Boneyard

OT: Pete Gillen the Wordsmith

UKemba15

Some flies are too awesome for the wall.
Reaction Score
With about a minute left in the first half tonight, Pete Gillen provided the most discerning, thought-provoking color commentary I’ve ever heard during a basketball game (outside of every word spoken by Bill Walton).

Tom McCarthy: I think Cole has done a great job on Richmond tonight, despite the size disadvantage.
Pete Gillen: Yep.
5-10 loong seconds of silence…

I mean, it’s that kind of insight that earns you the big bucks.

(just playin, much respect for Coach Pete)

Reaction Score
Both Gillen and Calhoun are Easterners with sometime impenetrable accents. The difference is that with Jim, you know there is an interesting thought behind the verbiage you aren't quite getting. Not so much with Pete.

Reaction Score
for whatever reason, the sid wilson corner three against wichita is the uconn play i most associate with gillen. i actually enjoy him as a commentator, but this call is really silly haha.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
With about a minute left in the first half tonight, Pete Gillen provided the most discerning, thought-provoking color commentary I’ve ever heard during a basketball game (outside of every word spoken by Bill Walton).

Tom McCarthy: I think Cole has done a great job on Richmond tonight, despite the size disadvantage.
Pete Gillen: Yep.
5-10 loong seconds of silence…

I mean, it’s that kind of insight that earns you the big bucks.

(just playin, much respect for Coach Pete)

Reaction Score
We found Pete Gillen's highest & best use whilst he is announcing the St Johns Butler game. He went into illustrative detail on NYC high school basketball history. The Archbishop Malloy, Bishop Loughlin, Staten Island, Our Savior Lutheran, Cardinal Hayes - he ran the gambit of Parochial history going back 40 years with notable player references. Makes me think he was at his best as HC at Nazareth HS. What the heck did he learn at Xavier or PC; because he has no stories comparable from college.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
for whatever reason, the sid wilson corner three against wichita is the uconn play i most associate with gillen. i actually enjoy him as a commentator, but this call is really silly haha.

Thanks for posting.

I'd forgotten that I'd never gotten around to seeing that.

My friend, who was stationed in Puerto Rico and working a longterm post-Hurricane Maria assignment for FEMA, recruited me to chaperone his son's travel from CT for a visit. The afternoon of the Wichita St game, he wanted to take us to Old San Juan, so I had to miss watching the game, but I was keeping track of the play-by-play on a sports score app.

During that week there were something like 60 earthquakes on the south side of the island, and unceasing winds & dangerous riptides led to prohibitions that forbade anyone from entering the ocean every single day I was there. It was a ticket able offense to even be on the beach on some days.

My friend's apartment was direct waterfront, and much time was spent marooned on a balcony that overlooked vegetation and sand all the way down to a sea that looked as angry as an old man trying to send soup back at a deli.

Still, the trip was a good time, and now I've seen Sid's 3, w/Gillen's call. Hard to believe that was a mere 25 months ago, still in the American, with Gilbert, Vital, and Wilson, and 2 months away from the COVID post-season Cancellation as the team was finding itself.

PS - While I'm reminded of one thing, I've got another to mention. It's not worth in tracking down in the post about Coach K shutting down Amaker's interest in the Duke job ( or was it the Big East Hot Seat post?), to say that I wanted to Reply "Post/handle" when you suggested Yale's James Jones as a viable candidate for the anticipated opening for the Georgetown HC job.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I feel sorry for the people who don’t enjoy listening to Walton.
I watched the Oregon-Arizona St. game last night that he and Dave Pasch called. I couldn't understand what the ---- Walton was talking about at least half the time. Man, he is out there. Yeah I know, tell us something we don't know! Lol

Reaction Score
I thought that Gillen was excellent during the Seton Hall game, he’s a bit of a goober and a little hard to listen to sometimes but Wednesday night he was strong

Reaction Score
I feel sorry for the people who don’t enjoy listening to Walton.
Could not agree more. Unless there's a game I really want to see otherwise, I'm checking the schedule to see where he might be.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom