Personal thoughts on team | The Boneyard

Personal thoughts on team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The only 2 negatives i have

A. I thought Sterling Gibbs would be an 18-20 pt scorer and the alpha dog---I dont think he is that nor do I think hes an actual PG.

B. Team defense--we have shown we can guard and we have shown we cant. Were going to need the latter every game forward.

On the positive side

A. Shonn Miller--to me only showing glimpses of what he can do. He has Shawn Marion type athleticism and Id love to expand his role where he takes 2-3 3s a game.
B. Overall team offense has been what i thought it can be explosive and efficient despite some PG concerns
C. Daniel Hamilton is close to being a start type player
D Rodney Purvis has stepped up and being the player he can be. I hope he stays for senior year and does what Buddy Hield is doing for Oklahoma and I think he can.
E. Like the potential of both freshmen
F. Omar Calhoun is playing like a key role player from a championship team

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

I think DHam would start on any team

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Former, latter.....what's the difference? Point is we need to play better D!!

It's just that it was so scrappy2.0

And yes, we need to play far better defense. Good thing Amida's ball should be all healed up by now.....oh wait...

Reaction Score
Scrappy, there's no reason to think that SG should have to score 18-20 on this team as its not Seton Hall. In fact he never would have done so if Isaiah Whitehead had not gone done. There are way too many weapons on this team for them to require him to do so. SG is far from the problem here, not sure why he's the perpetual scapegoat. I'm content with his play.

Reaction Score
Negatives:

don't think we have the toughness nor intensity that great teams have.

Can DHam be that dawg in crunch Time? I lean no despite him being a wonderful talent. Is he mentally tough enough like a Bazz or Kemba ?

Gibbs, D-Hamdo not play much D.

Positives:
Facey, Omar really give us a lot off bench that was unexpected.
Offensively, other than Gibbs, everyone as advertised, no issues putting ball in hoop
Miller totally legit, agree he needs more touches
Might be a lot more to Enoch developMent this year w Brimah intermediate term injury (so much upside)
Purvis really improved as shooter.
Jalen will be a great one, need more than we thought in yr 1 due to Gibbs struggles/lack of point skills
Gibbs has good track record and hopefully reversion to mean as he's had difficult times vs quality competition.

Reaction Score
All good thoughts but this consistent rant on SG and his inability vs quality opponents is not all that true. Certainly he is not as advertised as of yet and hopefully proves otherwise. But let's take the glasses off and look at the guy you all want to throw in there for all of his minutes. Look I love Jalen but if you've been watching closely he hasn't been consistent and really not good for a couple games and these were not quality opponents. We have problems at the PG spot for sure - 1 because Sterling isn't living up to his hype as a true PG and 2 because Jalen has not played well enough to grab the minutes required to get SG to the 2G where he would be most effective. There's more than one issue here and everyone seems to lean one way only.

Reaction Score
The only 2 negatives i have

A. I thought Sterling Gibbs would be an 18-20 pt scorer and the alpha dog---I dont think he is that nor do I think hes an actual PG.

B. Team defense--we have shown we can guard and we have shown we cant. Were going to need the latter every game forward.

On the positive side

A. Shonn Miller--to me only showing glimpses of what he can do. He has Shawn Marion type athleticism and Id love to expand his role where he takes 2-3 3s a game.
B. Overall team offense has been what i thought it can be explosive and efficient despite some PG concerns
D Rodney Purvis has stepped up and being the player he can be. I hope he stays for senior year and does what Buddy Hield is doing for Oklahoma and I think he can.
E. Like the potential of both freshmen
F. Omar Calhoun is playing like a key role player from a championship team
Good thoughts except I don't think Miller is a good 3 pt. shooter although he can step away from the rim and make shots.

Reaction Score
Has a true leader emerged?

I've seen all the games and I can't identify who it is. I'm not talking alpha dog, DHam appears to be that. You can see Jalen wants to be but like freshmen Khalid, and Bazz, hasn't earned it yet. And he's behind veteran guards.

I am concerned about this as we have great seasons with great leadership.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Has a true leader emerged?

I've seen all the games and I can't identify who it is. I'm not talking alpha dog, DHam appears to be that. You can see Jalen wants to be but like freshmen Khalid, and Bazz, hasn't earned it yet. And he's behind veteran guards.

I am concerned about this as we have great seasons with great leadership.
Play some good D and this team is fine.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Negatives:
don't think we have the toughness nor intensity that great teams have.

That can be developed though. As guys start to find their role and mesh as a team, you'll probably see more of it. There were times in 2014 (specifically middle of the season) when I thought that team didn't have it either.

I'd argue that this year's team does have toughness though. You don't get down by 20 points against multiple top 10 teams and almost take the game by being soft. They just have to fix the former.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Play some good D and this team is fine.
Our offense has been abysmal too - we have a hard time scoring and running plays against good competition.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Our offense has been abysmal too - we have a hard time scoring and running plays against good competition.

A lot of that is the result of poor defense. No stops = no running = no transition points (easy buckets) = less scoring = half court sets being less effective.

Starts with the D.

Reaction Score
When it came down to it in our toughest game Adams proved to me he will be the man .played greatdown the stretchag against the terps. He needs to have ball in hands more and Hamilton off the ball. That's when we played best as a team.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I think we need to play Facey and Miller together. Our best frontcourt threats on offense and can rebound relatively well, especially Facey on the offensive glass.

And for God's sake give Enoch some serious run - we will need him before you know it.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I think we need to play Facey and Miller together. Our best frontcourt threats on offense and can rebound relatively well, especially Facey on the offensive glass.

And for God's sake give Enoch some serious run - we will need him before you know it.

No problem with giving Enoch more minutes, just definitely not at critical times. Very lost at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom