Pernetti chucks Rutgers under the bus | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Pernetti chucks Rutgers under the bus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It's pretty clear, they are all repugnant scumbags. Mike Rice is insane, Pernetti and the president clearly trying to cover their asses in light of their negotations with B1G and bigger paydays. Nobody left unscathed.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Going to be interesting to see how it all plays out. The president is basically saying that Pernetti came to him with a "recommendation" of 3 game suspension etc. and the president agreed. Listened to Bilas last night go off on the president saying more or less that "the president was joking around regarding finding his way to campus and treated it as a big joke. It was HIS job to look into the matter further and the fact that he neglected to view the tapes until they went viral indicates a lack of judgment on his part. He should be fired too". Bilas was great. I agree the president should also be fired.

You have Pernetti saying the president knew what was on the tapes. You have the president saying he didn't and trusted his AD with the decision and punishment. You have Pernetti saying he wanted to fire the coach, but that the legal team AND president said not to. You have the president denying that. All 3 (Rice, Pernetti, and the president) deserve to be fired.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You have to love Bilas. (Which can also be read that I agree with him more than not and he's a friend of the program.)

Reaction Score
Going to be interesting to see how it all plays out. The president is basically saying that Pernetti came to him with a "recommendation" of 3 game suspension etc. and the president agreed. Listened to Bilas last night go off on the president saying more or less that "the president was joking around regarding finding his way to campus and treated it as a big joke. It was HIS job to look into the matter further and the fact that he neglected to view the tapes until they went viral indicates a lack of judgment on his part. He should be fired too". Bilas was great. I agree the president should also be fired.

You have Pernetti saying the president knew what was on the tapes. You have the president saying he didn't and trusted his AD with the decision and punishment. You have Pernetti saying he wanted to fire the coach, but that the legal team AND president said not to. You have the president denying that. All 3 (Rice, Pernetti, and the president) deserve to be fired.

Yes they do. Dealing with the lowest forms of humanity here; actually, multi-million dollar salaried lowest forms of unethical humanity.

Reaction Score
One other thing; RU fans often allege that the tapes show a very biased slice of the Mike Rice who coaches RU. While he probably didn't berate and assault RU players during meals and while on the throne; I'm thinking that he might have dreamt about doing it. RU fans seem to be assuming that there is nothing provocative or shameful done by Mike Rice during practices except what is on the portion of the tapes made public. There is substantial inferential evidence that this is not the case. The fact that an assistant coach felt free to assault players makes this point.

Also, Rice & Martelli were well aware of the presence of when the cameras were turned on. You would have to assume their actions without the cameras might even be less restrained.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
I think it was Jay Bilas who said that at some time, even the guys who are good at cya, have to step up and do what is right regardless of the possible outcomes. He was talking about leadership and positions of leadership in large organizations. Both the AD and President have created some semblance of plausible deniability, but real leaders would just step up and handle the situation. This isn't a question of who approved the trip to Las Vegas, this is a question of stopping unethical and immoral behavior.

Reaction Score
I think it was Jay Bilas who said that at some time, even the guys who are good at cya, have to step up and do what is right regardless of the possible outcomes. He was talking about leadership and positions of leadership in large organizations. Both the AD and President have created some semblance of plausible deniability, but real leaders would just step up and handle the situation. This isn't a question of who approved the trip to Las Vegas, this is a question of stopping unethical and immoral behavior.

Trying to scapegoat does not provide any semblence of plausible deniability (I wanted to fire him, but I couldn't due to the lawyers, but I can now........give me a break). Yea, real leaders should step up; I have seen no real leaders involved with this case.

Reaction Score
The 30 minutes of tape in the public domain was apparently made from 250 hours of tape of practices made over two seasons: 2010-2011 and 2011-2012. That works out to 125 hours per season. I think I can be pretty confident is saying that Rutgers practiced more than 125 hours per season. The existing tapes cover only a portion of the practices. That opens several questions 1: were all the practices taped; 2: if so what happened to the other tapes; 3: if all the practices weren't taped, who decided what should/should not be taped?

I'd also be interested in who had knowledge of the taping of practices. Having had some considerable experience with public sector budgeting; I believe that there should have been a line item in a budget somewhere for taping practices. It wouldn't have been difficult for Pernetti to have found out that some of the practices were taped. This reminds me of "Casablanca" where Captain Renault is shocked to find out that there is gambling going on at Rick's.

I haven't seen anyone ask how Murdoch was able to gain access to the tapes.

Reaction Score
The 30 minutes of tape in the public domain was apparently made from 250 hours of tape of practices made over two seasons: 2010-2011 and 2011-2012. That works out to 125 hours per season. I think I can be pretty confident is saying that Rutgers practiced more than 125 hours per season. The existing tapes cover only a portion of the practices. That opens several questions 1: were all the practices taped; 2: if so what happened to the other tapes; 3: if all the practices weren't taped, who decided what should/should not be taped?

I'd also be interested in who had knowledge of the taping of practices. Having had some considerable experience with public sector budgeting; I believe that there should have been a line item in a budget somewhere for taping practices. It wouldn't have been difficult for Pernetti to have found out that some of the practices were taped. This reminds me of "Casablanca" where Captain Renault is shocked to find out that there is gambling going on at Rick's.

Van Natta article

From Don Van Natta Jr.'s ESPN article

A trove of practice videos
At every Rutgers practice, a team manager sits several rows up in the bleachers with a video camera and records the plays. The video is of the action and is intended to help the coaches; the camera is usually stopped after the action stops. The camera that caught Rice bullying players -- rocketing balls at their feet, backs and heads, pushing them, shoving them, shrieking homophobic slurs at them -- all happened before the camera was turned off after each stop in the action. "That's what people don't understand," Murdock says. "It often got worse after the camera was shut off."

After each practice, each coach was given a copy of the practice DVD to watch and study. Murdock had some of those DVDs, but his lawyers decided to file a public records request with Rutgers for all of the DVDs compiled in the two years Murdock was employed there. It took several months for Murdock's lawyers to receive more than 300 DVDs.

This past fall, Murdock painstakingly reviewed many of the recordings, marking the time of bad behavior by Rice on the DVD. He turned over the DVDs to a friend who does videography. On a 30-minute DVD, Murdock's friend strung together a lowlight reel of Rice's abuse. The intention was to bring the video to Pernetti to prove to him what Murdock had told him in the summer, Murdock and his lawyer say.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score

How the heck did Murdoch get access to those tapes?

(You're welcome.)

Reaction Score

From the released Lacey Report:

"Independently, Rutgers responded to the July 11, 2012 request from EM’s counsel for the videos of all Rutgers men’s basketball practices. Daniel McMullen, the video coordinator for the men’s basketball team, compiled all of the practice videos and “burned” them onto DVDs supplied to him by EM’s lawyer. This compilation included 219 DVDs recording hundreds of hours of the Rutgers men’s basketball team practices during the 2010- 11 and 2011-12 seasons. The videos, as well as various others materials, were forwarded to attorney Kozyra."

My question would be... If EM's attorney was requesting copies of video's of the pracices from Rutgers, no lightbulbs went off in Pernetti's or General Counsel's to review them first???

Reaction Score
well, I obviously missed the Murdoch version about the tapes. Clearly the AD should have had some discs burned, unless he had a pretty good idea what was on the tapes and wanted to preserve some deniability. Pernetti went out of his way not to find incriminating evidence on Rice. There is a long breadcrumb trail. He chose not to talk to people about the tapes. If he didn't want to watch the tapes, he could have gotten a staff member or an intern to do it. My guess is that he feared what might be on the tapes.

People often act irrationally when they are in tight spots. Pernetti was his own worst enemy. In the immortal words of Pogo: "We have seen the enemy and it is us."

Reaction Score
well, I obviously missed the Murdoch version about the tapes. Clearly the AD should have had some discs burned, unless he had a pretty good idea what was on the tapes and wanted to preserve some deniability. Pernetti went out of his way not to find incriminating evidence on Rice. There is a long breadcrumb trail. He chose not to talk to people about the tapes. If he didn't want to watch the tapes, he could have gotten a staff member or an intern to do it. My guess is that he feared what might be on the tapes.

People often act irrationally when they are in tight spots. Pernetti was his own worst enemy. In the immortal words of Pogo: "We have seen the enemy and it is us."

HobokenHusky linked the outside counsel report in page 2 of this thread - it's an interesting read, provides a lot of additional info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom