Perimeter D, 3 point %, FT Shooting | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Perimeter D, 3 point %, FT Shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Congratulations on one-upping the ridiculousness of this thread.
There's nothing ridiculous about that comment. Brimah has to do better at keeping those blocks in play - it's something that can help the team, and it's something that's tracked by NBA teams.

Here's a bit from Zach Lowe's latest:

Towns is managing all this without piling up a ton of fouls, and he's an expert at keeping his blocked shots in play -- rare things for a rookie. Minnesota has recovered 68 percent of Towns' rejections, per SportVU tracking data. That's sixth among players with at least 10 blocks, and a retention rate that would have ranked third overall last season. "I've been working on that since high school," Towns says. "Sometimes I'd just catch the ball while I blocked it."

Amida's ability to protect the rim combined with our team's ability to run the break should equal points. Lots of them. But that'll only be the case if Amida keeps the ball in play.

Reaction Score
Congratulations on one-upping the ridiculousness of this thread.
Did you ever play basketball at a competitive level? Bigs often get caught up in going for huge blocks when they could alter the shot/block it without sending it way out of bounds and give teammates a chance to grab it.

Reaction Score
Is there enough ball to go around for him to take 172 threes this year? Bottom line, we're 2 exhibitions and 1 game in, I'm just not going to label him "our" 3 pt threat until worthy. Miller has backed up his highly spoken defense in both exhibitions and 1st game, Gibbs has not shown his 3pt shooting capabilities, just yet.
Can we stop questioning Gibbs as a knock down 3 point shooter now??

Reaction Score
Three point shooting looks great tonight. If we can get Omar to stop shooting it would be even better.

Reaction Score
There's nothing ridiculous about that comment. Brimah has to do better at keeping those blocks in play - it's something that can help the team, and it's something that's tracked by NBA teams.

Here's a bit from Zach Lowe's latest:

Towns is managing all this without piling up a ton of fouls, and he's an expert at keeping his blocked shots in play -- rare things for a rookie. Minnesota has recovered 68 percent of Towns' rejections, per SportVU tracking data. That's sixth among players with at least 10 blocks, and a retention rate that would have ranked third overall last season. "I've been working on that since high school," Towns says. "Sometimes I'd just catch the ball while I blocked it."

Amida's ability to protect the rim combined with our team's ability to run the break should equal points. Lots of them. But that'll only be the case if Amida keeps the ball in play.
So we're comparing him to the number one overall pick now? And that's not ridiculous? Let's try this. When Towns was practicing keeping blocks in play, Brimah was just learning how to play the game. Blocking shots is tough. Regularly keeping them in play is some thing only the elite players can do. Brimah has a long way to go to be elite. Expecting him to have that skill at this point in his career is ridiculous

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Did you ever play basketball at a competitive level? Bigs often get caught up in going for huge blocks when they could alter the shot/block it without sending it way out of bounds and give teammates a chance to grab it.
Did you ever coach at a competitive level? often times people who have never coached don't understand the learning curve for players.

Reaction Score
Against NH:
Perimeter D .381 Could be a little better
3 point %. .481 Very good

FT Shooting. .750. Respectable

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
75% from the line would have been in the 95th percentile last year, nationally. I'd say that's more than "respectable."

Fans are spoiled by the 92% rate in the 2014 tournament. Think it should be the new normal.

Reaction Score
So we're comparing him to the number one overall pick now?
No, we're identifying one individual area in which he could improve, and which would subsequently improve the performance of the entire team.

Reaction Score
No, we're identifying one individual area in which he could improve, and which would subsequently improve the performance of the entire team.
Why stop there???

Another area he could improve in is his ball handling. He should have a handle as good as Anthony Davis. He'd be a much more dangerous player on offense. He needs to improve his handle.

He also needs to improve his jump shooting. If he had Dirk Nowitzki's range, we'd be unstoppable.

Lastly if he played with his back to the basket like Jahlil Okafor it would really open up the perimeter for Gibbs.

Reaction Score
Why stop there???

Another area he could improve in is his ball handling. He should have a handle as good as Anthony Davis. He'd be a much more dangerous player on offense. He needs to improve his handle.

He also needs to improve his jump shooting. If he had Dirk Nowitzki's range, we'd be unstoppable.

Lastly if he played with his back to the basket like Jahlil Okafor it would really open up the perimeter for Gibbs.
If you can't divine the difference between the difficulty of achieving any of the above vs. the difficulty of "Hey, he should try to keep a few more of his blocked shots in play," then there's probably not much hope that you're capable of a rational conversation.

Reaction Score
If you can't divine the difference between the difficulty of achieving any of the above vs. the difficulty of "Hey, he should try to keep a few more of his blocked shots in play," then there's probably not much hope that you're capable of a rational conversation.
If you're going to take this comment..."Brimah does need to direct his blocks to keep the ball in the court. The same effort and strength knocking the ball up court would put the ball in the opponent's backcourt and likely lead to some breakaway fastbreaks."

and change it to this comment... "try and keep a few more of his blocked shots in play" then perhaps you're not interested in a rational conversation. That's not the comment I responded to.

"need" =/= "try"
"in play" =/= "up court"

Of course I'd like to see him "try" to keep a few more blocks in play. That's not the same thing as "he needs to direct his blocks... ...up court."

You brought up the NBA and number one overall pick to support the comment, you ignored the central theme of my response, and then created a strawman comment that was never made. But I'm not capable of rational? Okay buddy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom