Perimeter D, 3 point %, FT Shooting | The Boneyard

Perimeter D, 3 point %, FT Shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
These three areas need improvement for us to be special.
Maine's guards were getting to the basket too easy - I don't care if Brimah had 9 blocks, vs. a better team those blocks are likely points and/or fouls - I know he'll get his blocks but we can't expect he'll swat everything.
We don't have a 3 point shooter. Yes, I'm well aware of Gibbs 40%+ from 3 last year, but let's see if that carries over, and even if it does, we need someone to compliment as well.
70% FT vs. Maine roughly. First game, it should only get better, but I'd like to see more attempts and better percentage.

Overall, I think this team is better than I expected with great potential. Gibbs/Miller have to be 2 of the best grad tranfers ever. We would have been lucky to have gotten 1 of them, let alone both!

Reaction Score
Gibbs is a proven good/great 3pt shooter, Purvis proved last year he's reliable, Hamilton will be better this year in that department, I think Calhoun will regain his stroke too, because he isn't afraid to shoot. Adams showed he can hit a 3 too, won't be too big a problem IMO, just an off night

Reaction Score
One of the main reasons we won in 2014 was because we simply had a great shooting team. The team was almost flawless on the free throw line during the tournament and we had guys who could shoot it from 3. It is hard to judge these things after 2 exhibitions and a game vs Maine. I thought I saw a stat posted that we shot about 70% from inside the arc. I dont expect that to carry over the entire season but I think that has a lot to do with Miller and the front court

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
These three areas need improvement for us to be special.
Maine's guards were getting to the basket too easy - I don't care if Brimah had 9 blocks, vs. a better team those blocks are likely points and/or fouls - I know he'll get his blocks but we can't expect he'll swat everything.
We don't have a 3 point shooter. Yes, I'm well aware of Gibbs 40%+ from 3 last year, but let's see if that carries over, and even if it does, we need someone to compliment as well.
70% FT vs. Maine roughly. First game, it should only get better, but I'd like to see more attempts and better percentage.

Overall, I think this team is better than I expected with great potential. Gibbs/Miller have to be 2 of the best grad tranfers ever. We would have been lucky to have gotten 1 of them, let alone both!
The team shot 23/32 from the line (.718), Enoch shot 2/6 from the line (.333) take away Enoch and the team shot 21/26 (.807). Either way I'm not complaining about FT shooting being a weakness after 1 game or the expeditions which they improved drastically from in game 1.

Reaction Score
I don't remember the name of the post but this is like a bit more optimistic heartless, gutless or whatever it was post.

I am an eternal pessimist and I'm really excited about this team! My question is when failure comes can DHam be an alpha dog and bounce back or will we see freshman sad puppy dog eyes DHam? I think it will be the former!

Reaction Score
Let's wait and see if this little career-long streak continues before we label Gibbs a three point shooter.
39% career 3 pt shooter. He is proven, but as I noted, even if it does continue (really 1 season scewed his overall 3 pt %), we'll still need another capable 3 pt shooter. I think Dham should be able to step up. Purvis is too streaky.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I don't remember the name of the post but this is like a bit more optimistic heartless, gutless or whatever it was post.
Not in the same stratosphere as a post attacking a team's character. @GuardU 's post is spot on in my opinion. We're starry eyed with our talent but objectively we haven't shot it particularly well from three and Brimah did bail us out quite a bit against Maine. (Sidebar, @mauconnfan did that game move the needle for you at all?)

FT shooting is fine IMO and like the follow up that Enoch pulled down that % a bit, Omar and Sam pulled down the three point shooting (though its not like anyone else was spectacular). Three point shooting is a bit like touchdowns in fantasy football, its flukely, you want your defense, FT rate, and rebounding to be there so that you win against good teams even on bad shooting nights.

Its worth a post to say, let's keep an eye on this, particularly with how good Cinci looks out of the gate.

Reaction Score
39% career 3 pt shooter. He is proven, but as I noted, even if it does continue (really 1 season scewed his overall 3 pt %), we'll still need another capable 3 pt shooter. I think Dham should be able to step up. Purvis is too streaky.

One season when he took 172 threes? And it's his most recent? Gibbs is a plus three-point shooter. Stop being weird.

Reaction Score
One season when he took 172 threes? And it's his most recent? Gibbs is a plus three-point shooter. Stop being weird.
Is there enough ball to go around for him to take 172 threes this year? Bottom line, we're 2 exhibitions and 1 game in, I'm just not going to label him "our" 3 pt threat until worthy. Miller has backed up his highly spoken defense in both exhibitions and 1st game, Gibbs has not shown his 3pt shooting capabilities, just yet.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Is there enough ball to go around for him to take 172 threes this year? Bottom line, we're 2 exhibitions and 1 game in, I'm just not going to label him "our" 3 pt threat until worthy. Miller has backed up his highly spoken defense in both exhibitions and 1st game, Gibbs has not shown his 3pt shooting capabilities, just yet.
Yes but one is effort based and one is, by nature, varying. If you looked at the standard deviation of a 3 point shooters % night in and night out against a players defense/rebounding the former would be a lot larger than the latter as a rule. You raised a valid point my friend, don't climb too far out on a limb in defense of it.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I'm as impressed with Cinci's wins over Western Carolina and Robert Morris as I am with UConn's over Maine, which is to say not at all.

UConn got sloppy for a couple stretches and that needs to cleaned up, but I don't think much else can be gleaned from the game vs. Maine.

Reaction Score

Are you suggesting that there is some variable in play that makes it more difficult to shoot three-pointers for UConn than for Seton Hall?

Reaction Score

I thought your OP drew way too many conclusions for a November game against a team as bad as Maine, but now you have just derailed. You're saying that a kid who's been a shooter his entire career hasn't made his case yet because you didn't see it in a blowout win over a completely over- matched team? The implication here is that if Gibbs had knocked down a couple threes against Maine you'd be confident calling him our shooter.

There are people on the Boneyard who could have scored against Maine. The primary takeaway from that game should be they completely overwhelmed a bad team, as they should. It's sort of mystifying that you would write off a career's worth of statistics in favor of a glorified scrimmage.

Reaction Score
The team shot 23/32 from the line (.718), Enoch shot 2/6 from the line (.333) take away Enoch and the team shot 21/26 (.807). Either way I'm not complaining about FT shooting being a weakness after 1 game or the expeditions which they improved drastically from in game 1.

Very impressed with Brimah (4-4).

C

Chief00

Quite frankly, it's fair to say it's an unsettled question how our 3 point shooting will be - I have been able to watch the team more than most - and I frankly don't know how it will play out. It's not like there is no upside but will guys achieve their potential and maybe even overachieve some - I don't know. That's why you play the game.

Reaction Score
In addition to the weird proclamation that Gibbs isn't a three point shooter, the new rules are going to allow players to get to the rim easier than in the past. We should get used to this because it's not going to change, and could get worse as the competition gets tougher. Brimah's presence will be even more important than it was in the past.

Reaction Score
Quite frankly, it's fair to say it's an unsettled question how our 3 point shooting will be - I have been able to watch the team more than most - and I frankly don't know how it will play out. It's not like there is no upside but will guys achieve their potential and maybe even overachieve some - I don't know. That's why you play the game.
By the time we get to tournament games we will have reliable 3 point shooters, but this team has a lot more ways to score than last year so it may not be quite as critical.

Reaction Score
It should also be noted that thus far UConn is playing tremendous defense on free throws. Exhibit A is Maine at only 46% from the line against us.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Brimah does need to direct his blocks to keep the ball in the court. The same effort and strength knocking the ball up court would put the ball in the opponent's backcourt and likely lead to some breakaway fastbreaks.

Reaction Score
Brimah does need to direct his blocks to keep the ball in the court. The same effort and strength knocking the ball up court would put the ball in the opponent's backcourt and likely lead to some breakaway fastbreaks.

Congratulations on one-upping the ridiculousness of this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom