Perhaps a silly question on 2020 scheduling... | The Boneyard

Perhaps a silly question on 2020 scheduling...

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Given Aresco has said AAC schools would be able to schedule games vs other AAC opponents, but not count them as conference games, in order to fill spaces opened by UConn's departure, I'll ask this: What incentive do ADs at ECU, Houston, Navy and USF, all of which have home games scheduled vs UConn in 2020, have in making a change to their current schedule? Why would they feel any need to change opponents?

I would think, given UConn would be perceived as the villain - and likely still a fairly weak opponent - that the incentive would be to keep UConn on those schedules. Might even be an attendance boost for those schools.

Thus, should we really be talking about finding only 3-4 home opponents vs 8 total opponents?

Please enlighten me on what I'm missing here.

Reaction Score
Purely speculation, but perhaps a Houston or un-South Florida project a more competitive game against a higher-ranked opponent and perceived higher ticket sales

Reaction Score
it gets down to the “spite” thing discussed in another thread. The 2020 schedule is easy if the AAC cooperates. But 2020 is hell if UConn pisses them off more. There is a huge benefit to UConn to make it beneficial for the AAC to keep the schedule in place even if it costs some $$. Gotta think long term.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
it gets down to the “spite” thing discussed in another thread. The 2020 schedule is easy if the AAC cooperates. But 2020 is hell if UConn pisses them off more. There is a huge benefit to UConn to make it beneficial for the AAC to keep the schedule in place even if it costs some $$. Gotta think long term.

What say does the AAC have regarding any of those schools scheduling a BCS OOC opponent at home? I don't see how there would be "spite" at any level other than AAC HQ.

Maybe Navy would draw more fans by scheduling a Liberty as it's fairly close by. But I can't see the other three drawing more fans than they would vs UConn given we've already established there are few good P5 teams with schedule openings.

Reaction Score
Exiting the AAC is a negotiation. Remember, UConn has 27 months to leave the AAC if they want. Early exit probably requires more money.

For UConn, the ideal situation is to play football in the AAC in 2020 and basketball in the Big East in 2020/2021. Don't know if that is possible, but everything is negotiable. UConn really needs the scheduling for 2020 football. Plus, there is nobody of value coming to the AAC to play football in 2020 and the AAC would need a waiver (success with NCAA?) to play a conference championship game in 2020 with 11 members, so I think it is possible that UConn plays football in the AAC in 2020. Remember, the G5 NY6 bowl representative is the highest rated G5 conference champion. Without a conference championship, it would appear the AAC would not have a conference champion in 2020 unless the NCAA allowed the AAC to play a championship game with 11 members.

Reaction Score
Exiting the AAC is a negotiation. Remember, UConn has 27 months to leave the AAC if they want. Early exit probably requires more money.

For UConn, the ideal situation is to play football in the AAC in 2020 and basketball in the Big East in 2020/2021. Don't know if that is possible, but everything is negotiable. UConn really needs the scheduling for 2020 football. Plus, there is nobody of value coming to the AAC to play football in 2020 and the AAC would need a waiver (success with NCAA?) to play a conference championship game in 2020 with 11 members, so I think it is possible that UConn plays football in the AAC in 2020. Remember, the G5 NY6 bowl representative is the highest rated G5 conference champion. Without a conference championship, it would appear the AAC would not have a conference champion in 2020 unless the NCAA allowed the AAC to play a championship game with 11 members.

There is no way they let us have our cake and eat it too. But in 4-5 years I wouldn’t be shocked to see Cincy and Temple on the schedule regularly.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Nobody is actually answering the question.

Let me simplify it.
1. Four AAC teams have UConn on their home schedule. This post is only about these 4 games.
2. This does not concern the four UConn home games, which I assume we'll lose.
3. Assumes UConn is no longer in AAC and receiving no AAC benefits and would be just another garden-variety BCS opponent as an independent.
4. Why couldn't/wouldn't an AD at any of those 4 schools simply keep UConn on their home schedule. Less work & worry for them.
5. Aresco is talking about filling the UConn spots with AAC opponents not currently on the schedule (or doubling up) but not counting those as conference games, which to me seems quite stupid.
6. So basically, does Aresco have the power to tell these ADs that they cannot play UConn?

If I were an AD, I'd simply keep my schedule as is. Why do I want to go through the hassle of scheduling someone else unless there is a distinct $ benefit for doing so (which I can't see in most circumstances).

What am I missing here?

Reaction Score
Nobody is actually answering the question.

Let me simplify it.
1. Four AAC teams have UConn on their home schedule. This post is only about these 4 games.
2. This does not concern the four UConn home games, which I assume we'll lose.
3. Assumes UConn is no longer in AAC and receiving no AAC benefits and would be just another garden-variety BCS opponent as an independent.
4. Why couldn't/wouldn't an AD at any of those 4 schools simply keep UConn on their home schedule. Less work & worry for them.
5. Aresco is talking about filling the UConn spots with AAC opponents not currently on the schedule (or doubling up) but not counting those as conference games, which to me seems quite stupid.
6. So basically, does Aresco have the power to tell these ADs that they cannot play UConn?

If I were an AD, I'd simply keep my schedule as is. Why do I want to go through the hassle of scheduling someone else unless there is a distinct $ benefit for doing so (which I can't see in most circumstances).

What am I missing here?

That does seem the rational way to go, but given the spite and salt I doubt it will happen. And everyone needs to get cracking schedule wise, as the options are limited.

Reaction Score
Yeah, but does that keep us from playing in the BE in basketball until 2021?

Reaction Score
There is no way they let us have our cake and eat it too. But in 4-5 years I wouldn’t be shocked to see Cincy and Temple on the schedule regularly.
Unfortunately for the AAC, having a football conference championship game with 11 teams is not their decision. It is the NCAAs as they only allow conferences of 12 or greater with 2 divisions or 10 team conferences in which schools play every other school in the conference to hold football conference championship games.

If the NCAA says yes to the AAC's waiver request to hold a conference championship with 11 schools, then they don't need UConn football. But, when has the NCAA acted quickly on matters like that? And, UConn has 27 months to leave so the AAC can't just say you are out in 2020 without reducing the exit fees. That is why the whole situation will be negotiated.

I think it is really possible that UConn football plays in the AAC in 2020 and it is possible that basketball will play in 2020/2021 to allow football to have a viable season in 2020.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
The very last thing we want is to have to play more than one more season in the AAC. Road games this coming season are going to be BRUTAL! The last thing our AD should want to do is expose our student-athletes to two more seasons of the kind of abuse they will endure on the road in conference games. It's worth paying whatever extra we have to pay to get out.

I still think the negotiations may get very acrimonious and we end up in litigation with the AAC.

Reaction Score
The very last thing we want is to have to play more than one more season in the AAC. Road games this coming season are going to be BRUTAL! The last thing our AD should want to do is expose our student-athletes to two more seasons of the kind of abuse they will endure on the road in conference games. It's worth paying whatever extra we have to pay to get out.

I still think the negotiations may get very acrimonious and we end up in litigation with the AAC.
Our away games this year are UCF, Tulane, Cincinnati, and Temple. I don’t think the players will see big hostile crowds. Heck, Cincinnati and Temple fans have to be thinking about their schools futures. Do you think Temple basketball fans are thrilled that they are now in a conference with no other Northeastern teams?

Almost all of the AAC schools are looking to get out of the AAC, so I think most fanbases and schools understand what UConn is doing.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Our away games this year are UCF, Tulane, Cincinnati, and Temple. I don’t think the players will see big hostile crowds. Heck, Cincinnati and Temple fans have to be thinking about their schools futures. Do you think Temple basketball fans are thrilled that they are now in a conference with no other Northeastern teams?

Almost all of the AAC schools are looking to get out of the AAC, so I think most fanbases and schools understand what UConn is doing.

I was also referring to BB, where it can be a lot worse due to proximity of fans to the court. Football is not quite as bad generally because the fans are further away. Tulane in football shouldn't be too bad. I've been to their new stadium a couple of times and if there are any fans that act up, that's the only stadium on the list where the seating areas are close to the field on all four sides. UCF could have a much bigger crowd and more unruly fans, but they're further away. I've also been to Nippert Stadium at UC and it's an old school classic horseshoe stadium. I think they'll be some heckling there. Same with Temple. Some of their fans remember the call that went against them at Rentschler back in the late 2000's on the last play of the game, taking away a TD that would have won the game. Lincoln Financial is an NFL stadium but I expect we'll see some hecklers there also.

Reaction Score
UConn left so why accomodate them? Word on Twitter is that Temple will be our schedule replacement.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
UConn left so why accomodate them? Word on Twitter is that Temple will be our schedule replacement.

Because it's no additional work for your AD. It's just that simple.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom