Per Goodman: Larrier In, Gilbert Out | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Per Goodman: Larrier In, Gilbert Out

Reaction Score
Nah. Walters was not looking to come to a team with a group of over well thought of PGs.
Stain is doing his typical annoying routine. The thing is Ollie and staff had to be recruiting from a position of Adams is gone after this season and Gilbert is damaged goods. Not getting Waters is one of our biggest misses ever and should not have happened.

Reaction Score
Stain is doing his typical annoying routine. The thing is Ollie and staff had to be recruiting from a position of Adams is gone after this season and Gilbert is damaged goods. Not getting Waters is one of our biggest misses ever and should not have happened.

How is it a miss? Why isn't not getting Bagley III a miss. At what point did we not do something we should have done to bring Waters here? At what point did he say he wanted to come here?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
We recruited MAL and when he bailed we went after Waters. It didn't work out

And we have another PG coming in next year.

Reaction Score
How is it a miss? Why isn't not getting Bagley III a miss. At what point did we not do something we should have done to bring Waters here? At what point did he say he wanted to come here?
Because he's a Connecticut kid who we were recruiting for years. It shouldn't be that hard to convince a Connecticut kid to come to his hometown school where there is tons of playing time. It would be easier to accept if Duke or Kentucky was giving him the keys but it's LSU.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Because he's a Connecticut kid who we were recruiting for years. It shouldn't be that hard to convince a Connecticut kid to come to his hometown school where there is tons of playing time. It would be easier to accept if Duke or Kentucky was giving him the keys but it's LSU.
He didn’t want to come here otherwise he wouldn’t have committed to gtown. Or when he decommitted from gtown he would committed here right away

Reaction Score

I can accept it even more with him going to LSU. Syracuse or Nova or any other number of good, non blue bloods would have been a nut shot.

Reaction Score
They couldn't schedule that at a time when he wouldn't have to miss a game? Nobody has emergency wisdom teeth surgery.

He's been limited the past few games due to the pain. Why put it off any longer?

Hopefully he is ready to go by next game.

Reaction Score
He didn’t want to come here otherwise he wouldn’t have committed to gtown. Or when he decommitted from gtown he would committed here right away
I know, that's the problem. We are in the most fertile recruiting ground in the country and we aren't getting recruits from it, Providence is absolutely kicking our arse in recruiting New England. We can't even get the top in-state kids to want to come here anymore. Jaiden Delaire has no interest and will also leave the state. It kills me what's happened here and many still have their head in the sand, for the life of me I don't understand it.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I know, that's the problem. We are in the most fertile recruiting ground in the country and we aren't getting recruits from it, Providence is absolutely kicking our arse in recruiting New England. We can't even get the top in-state kids to want to come here anymore. Jaiden Delaire has no interest and will also leave the state. It kills me what's happened here and many still have their head in the sand, for the life of me I don't understand it.
How many star recruits did Calhoun get from CT? I'm being serious because I'm not sure

Reaction Score
My GOD, I can't take it anymore. My ignore list just doubled.

Reaction Score
How many star recruits did Calhoun get from CT? I'm being serious because I'm not sure
Not many but he got the big ones when he needed to, Smitty and Burrell. Most of Calhoun's tenure here, CT. and New England basketball was pretty much dead and he knew he had to recruit the whole country and even internationally. Getting Chris Smith
was huge because it showed everyone it was okay to spurn the bigger boys (at the time) and go to UConn but after that was a down period for local hoops. Calipari snaked Camby which sucked because we would have been totally unbeatable with him but we still were top #3 in the country without him.

The point is everything has changed with local basketball, New Englad prep is the best in the country and we need to recruit it way better, it's ridiculous we have let Providence kick our butts with the locals.

Reaction Score
Maybe he just didn't want to go to college in CT, it's not always about the school. A kid is stuck living in the state his family lives in while he's in grade school, but he had options to attend college elsewhere. I think we're too quick to discount these additional factors, and always assume our staff screwed up, the kid didn't want to fight for a job etc.. Kids are people, and like the rest of us want options on where we live, why can't they as well?

Reaction Score
. . . as an addendum I saw multiple people argue that for recruiting purposes, Gilbert should not be considered part of the team going forward. . . . we are not near either.
I disagree. While the chances of Gilbert becoming a regular, dependable member of the team are not zero, they are in-your-face low enough to warrant recruiting with the assumption that he isn't going to be a starting 4 year player. It sucks and it's unpleasant, but the spot is too critical to address by crossing your fingers every time AG goes for a loose ball.
Kid has got major talent in a Derrick Rose/Greg Odin body. It happens. His career to date reminds me of Greg Odin, who was already showing signs in HS that his body would never permit high level, continuous competition.

Reaction Score
The teeth thing will clear up soon, the ankle will get better, but the shoulder worries the crap out of me...and larrier is 100% or close to it? Now I am getting nervous...

Reaction Score
Maybe he just didn't want to go to college in CT, it's not always about the school. A kid is stuck living in the state his family lives in while he's in grade school, but he had options to attend college elsewhere. I think we're too quick to discount these additional factors, and always assume our staff screwed up, the kid didn't want to fight for a job etc.. Kids are people, and like the rest of us want options on where we live, why can't they as well?
What about MAL?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom