Per Geno This Team "Duds" | The Boneyard

Per Geno This Team "Duds"

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
UConn Women: Auriemma Says His No. 1 Huskies Are 'Duds' As Far As Emotion Goes

"Auriemma said he hopes the players are enjoying this run. But he has not seen a whole lot of excitement.

"This team, generally speaking, is kind of unemotional," Auriemma said. "Duds. You look at them and, like, there's nothing."

Quotes from players and a short video of Gabby. The most interesting thing was something Gabby said about recruiting and how UConn can thanks some Stanford players. You just never know, do you?

"The last 90-game streak ended at Stanford six years ago. Williams, from Nevada, recalls attending a Stanford camp in 2010 and Cardinal players saying the highlight of their season was beating celebrated UConn.

"For me, that made UConn that much more attractive as a school for me," Williams said."

Reaction Score
I don't think this is accurate... I think this team has shown a lot of emotion, and seems to be having way more fun than last year team. They just don't look as intense. Last year team is way more robotic (hence less emotion), possibly because they know they are so good and can beat your ass off anytime.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Gee, these duds have come out so flat against such weak competition, haven't they? No wonder they're 14-0 against so many ranked and other P5 conference programs.

We all know Geno and how he tries to motivate the team between games, but I'm not seeing the same things he is. This group lost the top three picks in the WNBA draft after last season, and the kids left are still kicking ass. I'm certainly happy; my expectations have been exceeded over and over, including at home games in Hartford for which I have season tickets and a great view.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I think he's just trying to "needle" the team. But I've seen TONS of emotion - Nurse is the most demonstrative, but I've certainly seen KLS all fired up and even Butler is very visibly emotional on the court. The others as well, but those 3 stand out to me.

And to take it one step further, it's probably good that this team is not "uber emotional". They are riding a win streak that may eclipse the greatest win streak in college hoops very soon. The team lost 3 great players, and probably the best trio in a single class to ever attend UCONN. They NEED to be steady and not ride up and down emotions. They need to be mentally strong as they aren't able to "out talent" everyone else this year...

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
I be
UConn Women: Auriemma Says His No. 1 Huskies Are 'Duds' As Far As Emotion Goes

"Auriemma said he hopes the players are enjoying this run. But he has not seen a whole lot of excitement.

"This team, generally speaking, is kind of unemotional," Auriemma said. "Duds. You look at them and, like, there's nothing."

Quotes from players and a short video of Gabby. The most interesting thing was something Gabby said about recruiting and how UConn can thanks some Stanford players. You just never know, do you?

"The last 90-game streak ended at Stanford six years ago. Williams, from Nevada, recalls attending a Stanford camp in 2010 and Cardinal players saying the highlight of their season was beating celebrated UConn.

"For me, that made UConn that much more attractive as a school for me," Williams said."

I believe that they are all playing with intensity, and that they are having fun. I see a lot of smiling during the games by the starters. I have seen fire in both Nurse and Samuelson. Oddly, I am reminded of comments over the years, praising Kelly Farris' for her workmanlike style; and on the other side, comments suggesting that the team (and one assistant coach) were smugly dismissive of opponents by being too happy late in one-sided games.

I have always admired the ability of the greats like James Worthy and Barry Sanders, who treat each bucket (or touchdown) as an expected occurrence, handing the ball to a ref and going back to defense or back to the bench. I believe that most of the players, except for top-scoring four (I thoroughly dislike the other moniker) and TLaw, are simply not sure of their role and expected contribution, and may have not found their way yet to demonstrate a proper of fan-expected emotion. It is hard to celebrate a basket that makes the score 80-39. It is also hard to enjoy the game if (in the case of two players on the team) they are always worried that upon their next miscue they will be pulled from the game.

I also think that they are trying hard to not show up another team, especially one not in their (competitive) league. It shows that class can still be found at the top of the Women's game.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Geno can be a contradiction. Earlier this season he said words to the effect that the streak was irrelevant and a potential distraction. This weak he said he hoped his team was enjoying this once in a lifetime accomplishment. What he is doing with the "dud" thing, who knows. Good lord, if Lou screamed more in a game she'd lose her voice. But this team is so fast on offense and getting back on defense there is little room for celebration or emotion on the court. Maybe Geno is talking about not getting anything out of them in practice, but, like I said, who knows.

Reaction Score
I agree with all. Geno's playing so many mind games with this team, that maybe he's even gaming himself. The kids are happy, enthusiastic, positive. Geno is just constantly looking for a grey lining under the silver cloud.

Reaction Score
If showing emotion is having the girls leaping in the air and chest bumping or standing over a fallen opponent and screaming at them (Tennessee)then i prefer the so called "duds"(which i don't think they are).Has anyone noticed that when other teams go on a run that this team has the innate ability to come right back with a run of their own? They do these things with a more subdued,classy outward appearance of emotion.When Uconn goes on a tear and the tv screen shows a closeup of the player who just scored running back down court you can tell that there is an inner fire behind only a tightening of the facial muscles and lips as their emotional display.Mike Tyson said every fighter goes into a fight with a plan until they get hit in the face.These girls have demonstrated that they can absorb getting hit by an opponents run and come back double on the other end even while carrying out the team plan.Look at when Uconn pulled away from Baylor.They went on a 16-2 run in the fourth quarter when the chips were down.They were very emotional but in a way that is harder to notice.

Reaction Score
Geno can be a contradiction. Earlier this season he said words to the effect that the streak was irrelevant and a potential distraction. This weak he said he hoped his team was enjoying this once in a lifetime accomplishment. What he is doing with the "dud" thing, who knows. Good lord, if Lou screamed more in a game she'd lose her voice. But this team is so fast on offense and getting back on defense there is little room for celebration or emotion on the court. Maybe Geno is talking about not getting anything out of them in practice, but, like I said, who knows.

I agree with all. Geno's playing so many mind games with this team, that maybe he's even gaming himself. The kids are happy, enthusiastic, positive. Geno is just constantly looking for a grey lining under the silver cloud.

Agree with both here...Pretty much Geno being Geno to know him is to love him. :D Then try to figure out just what or who the last comment was aimed at. ;)
The good news is after winning so many games it would leave most speechless he finds a way to make us wonder what he is up to!

Reaction Score
Kia didn't seem to appreciate the remark in last night's post-game interview. That's the first time in a while I've heard a player say no comment.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Just another Genoism!

Now wouldn't we all like to know what his motivation is for the comment?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Kia didn't seem to appreciate the remark in last night's post-game interview. That's the first time in a while I've heard a player say no comment.

A little bemused look and chuckle. "Okay." I see that as a wise kid who knows Geno was probably be Geno.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Yeah. But clearly this team shows more emotion during a game than after victories. No doubt though, this is a Genoism. A goad.

Reaction Score
Clearly Kia and Lou have shown emotion in key games at interesting moments.....however, there is a bit of hakuna matata going on with Gabby , Pheesa and to some extent Saniya....that's not a bad thing it is just more reflective of their personalities...can see where Geno is coming from.

Reaction Score
I see a very confident, "getting the job done", very intense, group. I have thoroughly enjoyed watching them methodically taking apart the other best teams in women's basketball . Most people, including Geno, did not think they had much of a chance of beating all of these teams. And I would venture to say that the players themselves didn't think Geno had a whole lot of confidence that they would be as good as they are. Well, perhaps that has made what they've done so far that much more enjoyable for them. But this group will not sit back on their laurels. They take great pride, and they are flat out great competitors! Up by many points last night, and playing a rather awful team, the intensity, on defense especially, continued. It was just amazing to watch.
p.s. A couple of really "dull" players I had the pleasure of watching were named Bradley and Bird.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I don't think this is accurate... I think this team has shown a lot of emotion, and seems to be having way more fun than last year team. They just don't look as intense. Last year team is way more robotic (hence less emotion), possibly because they know they are so good and can beat your ass off anytime.
I'm with you on the team having more fun than last year. I can't help if the team last year, while serious and focused on their goal, was also feeling some pressure of expectations--they were supposed to win a fourth straight title.

This team has less to deal with regarding such pressure. It's their team and it's their own trip. They strike me as having fun. I hope so.

Reaction Score
I think Geno most easily appreciates "Philly tough". He understands players who trash talk and are loud and very obviously competitive. Like DT!
Stewie was tough for him for a while as she was very "Yankee" in her affect. Understated and appeared somewhat non-reactive, he didn't always know if he was getting to her. But like Holly Rowe said that she was going to seem nice and kind but she was going to rip your heart out! And Geno eventually said that she wanted people to think she would rescue kittens but...
It seems to me that this team is in a slightly goofier Stewie mold. While Nurse can be "a nasty piece of business" the team in general is more matter-of-fact about what they need to do - interspersed with some silliness. Geno doesn't see the "grab them by the throat" attitude, and yet they work incredibly hard together and end up strangling the opponents anyway.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I believe this has more to do with practice than actual games. If you remember from either the Geno Show or All Access, he spoke to Nurse about "her team" being very (too) quiet. Implying she needed to do something about it. Then they showed CD getting on Bent and Dangerfield for not encouraging their teammates during drills.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think he's just trying to "needle" the team. But I've seen TONS of emotion - Nurse is the most demonstrative, but I've certainly seen KLS all fired up and even Butler is very visibly emotional on the court. The others as well, but those 3 stand out to me.

And to take it one step further, it's probably good that this team is not "uber emotional". They are riding a win streak that may eclipse the greatest win streak in college hoops very soon. The team lost 3 great players, and probably the best trio in a single class to ever attend UCONN. They NEED to be steady and not ride up and down emotions. They need to be mentally strong as they aren't able to "out talent" everyone else this year...
Kia's evolution this season has been very impressive. In many ways this is 'her' team right now. I'm happy for her.

Reaction Score
Loved this line as well. A problem in sales is one can never be sure what will cinch the sale and what will kill it.

Some years ago my company was contemplating a major software purchase. The leading vendor (and only supplier we were considering) was demonstrating their product at one of our facilities. Ever the salesman, the vendor team lead pulled me aside at lunch to ask me about about negotiations one of our divisions was having with his company's rival.

Bottom line #1: He wanted me to put in a good word for his company.

Bottom line #2: I went back an opened up negotiations with his rival (which we hadn't been considering before).

Bottom line #3: We went with the rival.

Bottom line #4: The company we went with bought out salesman #1's company.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
This article does a better or more contexted job with Geno's Dud remark. UConn women's basketball's streak is not out of the ordinary

The Huskies don’t want to change their approach going forward.

“I think off the court, we are the silliest, goofiest people you’ll ever meet,” Collier said. “On the court, we try to have fun but we get business done. When it’s time to work, we’re very serious.”

Geno, part of a larger statement: “I know these guys are determined to win. That might be more accurate for them. They don’t seem to be afraid. They don’t play tentatively. They don’t get caught up in any of it."

Reaction Score
F

Far be it for me to second-guess the coach, but this team has demonstrated emotion and commitment to the "brand" that exceeds anything I've seen at Uconn. They are the miracle on the hardwood. But Geno is still playing with house money, shrugging his shoulders as if to say, "this is way beyond what I or anyone thought this team could produce, so I can with impunity shoot from the lip, daring them to continue this improbable run. And if that keeps the team loose, then it's an excellent strategy. As for hurt feelings, there's no evidence of jealousy or selfishness, just runs and stops and preternatural shooting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom