Penn State v. Houston | The Boneyard

Penn State v. Houston

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't know how much of this debacle is due to the Sandusky fall out, but geez, PSU looks to have a worse offense than our beloved heros. They just look beat. At qb, they are in as bad a shape as we are.

Lastly, I wonder how many points Houston would have put up on us this year? 100?

Reaction Score
I don't know how much of this debacle is due to the Sandusky fall out, but geez, PSU looks to have a worse offense than our beloved heros. They just look beat. At qb, they are in as bad a shape as we are.

Lastly, I wonder how many points Houston would have put up on us this year? 100?

This is not the starting QB nor the #2 guy. The idiot starter picked a fight during practice and was knocked out cold.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I think Penn State was just happy that the end of the season was in sight.

Their best best right now might to just retain Bradley for a year and then clean the slate after next season. They're almost too toxic to hire a good coach right now. Better to wait, I think, than to settle - wait a year and then hire a Penn State-level HC.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Bradley must be kicking himself right now for not taking more of an interest in the UConn job. Instead he's stuck playing placeholder until PSU can finish cleaning house and wondering what's next. I'm sure he'll land on his feet somewhere, but man, you never know.

Reaction Score
Bradley must be kicking himself right now for not taking more of an interest in the UConn job. Instead he's stuck playing placeholder until PSU can finish cleaning house and wondering what's next. I'm sure he'll land on his feet somewhere, but man, you never know.

I actually think the scandal gave him a better chance at PSU. There's a reason he went on the road last year looking for a job. Paterno basically told him that he was not going to get the HC at PSU after Paterno retired. But yeah, he did get a bum deal. Personally, I think he along with a few other coaches might have heard the Sandusky rumors, but then again I bet all the pols and police in Centre County knew.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I actually think the scandal gave him a better chance at PSU. There's a reason he went on the road last year looking for a job. Paterno basically told him that he was not going to get the HC at PSU after Paterno retired. But yeah, he did get a bum deal. Personally, I think he along with a few other coaches might have heard the Sandusky rumors, but then again I bet all the pols and police in Centre County knew.

Have any Penn State assistants moved on to HC jobs in recent years? I suspect the football world was aware of Penn State's off field issues for some time, and knew this time bomb was going to stop ticking soon enough. This case has been under investigation for years. Even an amateur background check was going to uncover the toxic waste dump that was the Penn State athletic department.

Bradley will be in early retirement soon enough. No one will hire this guy once they are done with Penn State's athletic department.

Reaction Score
Have any Penn State assistants moved on to HC jobs in recent years? I suspect the football world was aware of Penn State's off field issues for some time, and knew this time bomb was going to stop ticking soon enough. This case has been under investigation for years. Even an amateur background check was going to uncover the toxic waste dump that was the Penn State athletic department.

Bradley will be in early retirement soon enough. No one will hire this guy once they are done with Penn State's athletic department.

Bradley was offered the Michigan State job a while back. They had assistants going on to HC jobs at Temple and Virginia. Their DL coach was offered the DC job at Illinois. Their DB coach became DC at Baylor. Their top assistants stay, even if offered. Bradley has been there forever.

It's silly to say football schools were aware of these issues when the Sandusky story was out there for 3 years and no one picked it up or cared. It's been under investigation for 2 1/2 years. But even then, the former AG assigned it to one investigator even after the high school kid's allegations. The investigation really didn't catch anyone's interest until less than a year ago.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Al Golden. What a pair of choices: Miami or Penn State.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Bradley was offered the Michigan State job a while back. They had assistants going on to HC jobs at Temple and Virginia. Their DL coach was offered the DC job at Illinois. Their DB coach became DC at Baylor. Their top assistants stay, even if offered. Bradley has been there forever.

It's silly to say football schools were aware of these issues when the Sandusky story was out there for 3 years and no one picked it up or cared. It's been under investigation for 2 1/2 years. But even then, the former AG assigned it to one investigator even after the high school kid's allegations. The investigation really didn't catch anyone's interest until less than a year ago.

Tom Bradley turned down Michigan State to be the DC at Penn State? Riiiiiiiggghhhtttt.

Reaction Score
Tom Bradley turned down Michigan State to be the DC at Penn State? Riiiiiiiggghhhtttt.

Yes, he did. Just like Sandusky turned down a HC job at an ACC school, just like Larry Johnson turned down DC job, just like the LB Coach Vanderlinden turned down a head job at a MAC school. Bradley was the coach-in-waiting after 1999. He was offered the position when Bobby Williams was fired. After he turned it down it went to John Smith. Neither of those coaches had a leg up on Bradley so why would you find that surprising? It's not like Michigan St is considered a plum job.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
If Bradley turned down the Michigan State job, he's bad at life and perhaps worse at math.

Great job or not, it's a lot better than being anything but HC at Penn State. One contract basically sets you for life and even if you don't win, you're almost assured at getting another HC job when you leave.

Reaction Score
If Bradley turned down the Michigan State job, he's bad at life and perhaps worse at math.

Great job or not, it's a lot better than being anything but HC at Penn State. One contract basically sets you for life and even if you don't win, you're almost assured at getting another HC job when you leave.

Paterno has done a lot of his assistants a disservice. Welsh and Sandusky (thank god it wasn't him) were ready when Joe was in his 70s. Ganter was the one who was most screwed over. Bradley is only the latest.

Remember when Bradley suddenly started interviewing last year when several jobs were open for weeks? He was johnny-come-lately. Why hadn't he been interviewing last year and every year before that? It wasn't for lack of opportunities. Someone finally whispered in his ear.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I think I heard that when Bradley interviewed last year.

Dirty pool by Paterno if true.

Reaction Score
Man, what am I missing?

It appears at the very least that these assistants contributed to the insular culture that allowed this atrocity to go on and it is highly likely that many of them knew or suspected that children were in harms way of this monster.

These assistants were not victims, they were adults who made bad decisions regarding their own career choices and, most likely, about the welfare of children.

PSU is the classic example where a culture and value set go terribly wrong.

Reaction Score
Man, what am I missing?

It appears at the very least that these assistants contributed to the insular culture that allowed this atrocity to go on and it is highly likely that many of them knew or suspected that children were in harms way of this monster.

These assistants were not victims, they were adults who made bad decisions regarding their own career choices and, most likely, about the welfare of children.

PSU is the classic example where a culture and value set go terribly wrong.

Maybe they're stupid too, because in Johnson's case, the promotion to DC at Illinois came last year, long after the Sandusky investigation had started. If he knew, you'd assume he would have taken the train out Dodge. Instead he stayed on. If he knew and stayed, he's stupid. But that was the appeal of PSU for these guys. You never rise up but you never get fired.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom