Penn State Commits...who leaves | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Penn State Commits...who leaves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Those kids are pretty dumb if they didn't think he was going to leave the first chance he got. He was never a college guy, and he had no connection to Penn State. PSU was always a stepping stone job for him.

The only reason he didn't leave last year is that the buyout was absurd. The writing's been on the wall since the moment he got there.

Agreed. I was VERY surprised to see some of the gets that O'Brien got at Penn State. For one, these kids can't play in the bowl game. Two, they likely wouldn't get to one anyway (if they were eligible) because of the scholarship reduction. Three, the writing has been on the wall for a while that O'Brien wasn't going to stay long-term at Penn State. Like I said earlier, O'Brien did a magical job at re-installing a sense of pride at PSU during a time that everyone associated with the university probably felt embarrassed and ashamed over what was allowed to happen there. But now that they are at the halfway mark of the NCAA sanctions and the true effects will soon be felt, it was the right time for him to bolt. I'll be curious to see what kind of candidate pool PSU will be able to attract given the timing (pretty late into bowl season) and penalties. I am going to guess that we will see quite a few commits flip based on what I would think to be a pretty mediocre coaching pool for that job.

Reaction Score
Next time someone feels compelled to cry about how Edsall left - just remember what O'Brien got kids to commit to and then walked away in 2 years.
I've never cared about the way Edsall left, but what was O'brien to do, not recruit? Remember, those sanctions were handed down after he was hired. If Penn State didn't want him to leave they should have never renegotiated his buyout to a manageable number. It sounds like there are factions still within Penn State that were not happy with an outsider running the program.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I've never cared about the way Edsall left, but what was O'brien to do, not recruit? Remember, those sanctions were handed down after he was hired. If Penn State didn't want him to leave they should have never renegotiated his buyout to a manageable number. It sounds like there are factions still within Penn State that were not happy with an outsider running the program.

If you aren't crying about how Edsall left than the sentiment isn't directed at you.

I don't think O'Brien did anything wrong either. I do think it's unfair he can leave but the kids can't without putting their careers on hold but that's a separate issue.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I just read that Hixon ( wr coach) is following O'Brien to Texans. Does this open up WR possibilities??

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
That's the frigging point. Three years later and people are still crying about 'discretion'. Better coaches have done worse things. Get over it.

It's easier to get over something if it isn't always brought up by people. Wondering why you brought it up here... (that is a rhetorical question, so don't bother answering)

For the record, I'm considered an apologista.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I do think it's unfair he can leave but the kids can't without putting their careers on hold but that's a separate issue.

Okay...NOW you're talking my language! I agree 100% with that. The NCAA allows coaches to act as pimps and treats the players like prostitutes. That part of college athletics, I really really friggin' hate...

Reaction Score
I just read that Hixon ( wr coach) is following O'Brien to Texans. Does this open up WR possibilities??

There are updates in original article...

FWIW - Godwin had a previous UConn offer but no ND offer and Thompkins had no previous UConn offer but had an ND offer (Elston was his recruiter).

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I'll be curious to see what kind of candidate pool PSU will be able to attract given the timing (pretty late into bowl season) and penalties. I am going to guess that we will see quite a few commits flip based on what I would think to be a pretty mediocre coaching pool for that job.
I disagree. I bet you'll see a stronger coaching pool for the PSU job than you did for the UConn job. As much as everyone wants to hate PSU for what happened there, and it was horrible and shameful, this is still a name brand school with a wide reaching fan base and huge fan and school support. Money probably won't be an issue so I don't see why they'd have any trouble finding a solid name to fill in. As for the issues with scholarship limitations, that will be a big issue. However, if there's a coach who is willing to ride this out it could be a solid job after the sanctions run out. Who knows....

Reaction Score
PSU was paying O'brien 3.2, million. They will have no trouble finding a quality guy.

Reaction Score
PSU was paying O'brien 3.2, million. They will have no trouble finding a quality guy.
Ahh yes ching cuires all ills. But what will it take to make Unhappy Valley...Happy again? They still stare at the statue that has been removed. Money aside a tough spot to be in.

Reaction Score
Honestly the BEST person for us to land would be Larry Johnson Sr. A common name seen among those commits as a recruiter.
LJ Sr has only been at PSU as a college asst (he went there around the time his son went to play there). Before that he coached HS ball in Maryland. He is widely regarded as one of if not the best recruiter on the east coast, as well as an excellent dine coach.

See attached.. state college.com reporting coaching search is expected to be quick and Larry Johnson Sr. expected to be retained.
http://www.statecollege.com/news/lo...urce-says-johnson-to-remain-on-staff,1434237/

Athlete94

UCONNGRD
Reaction Score
Why
If you aren't crying about how Edsall left than the sentiment isn't directed at you.

I don't think O'Brien did anything wrong either. I do think it's unfair he can leave but the kids can't without putting their careers on hold but that's a separate issue.
are we still talking about Edsall?' Who cares!!! Go coach D!!!

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Thomas Holley (4 star DT) was recruited specifically by Diaco when BD was at Notre Dame. Holley also holds an offer from UConn. The issue is that he holds an offer from about a million other places too. But if Diaco can convince him to come here to be a star, then maybe....maybe I can keep dreaming! ;)

http://rivals.yahoo.com/connecticut...lley-147464;_ylt=AqdkP9svB.QjxoUTCABV33gDrpB4

There are multiple other players on that list that are from NJ, NY, MA, and PA (Diaco territory and UConn territory). Who knows what could happen? I hope something positive comes out of it for UConn...
Its not out of the realm of possibility! Its well known his mom wants him to stay in the NE and even Cuse thought they had a shot as 2 of his HS friends play there including their QB T.Hunt. With BD here now UConn has a great shot at some heralded talent from the NJ/NY area.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I do think it's unfair he can leave but the kids can't without putting their careers on hold but that's a separate issue.

In a timely article from the Courant, here is even more evidence that the NCAA and the pimp coaches that operate under its umbrella wish to treat the players like prostitutes. This time, they are angry about the fact that a student-athlete can graduate and then immediately go to a different school to do their graduate work without penalty. Because....you know....education comes first... :oops:

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-womens-basketball/hc-uconn-men-0103-20140102,0,4611474.story

"In the case of fifth-year transfers, the reason for leaving is education," said R.J. Evans, who transferred from Holy Cross and earned a master's degree at UConn last spring. "And the NCAA should not penalize them for being student-athletes and pursuing a higher education."

(*And screw Coach K too....HE'S the farce, not the grad students...)

Reaction Score
I don't quite understand this. Are we allowed to contact kids now or not? The window is getting smaller.

6) 01-04-14 thru 01-11-14 Quiet Period. All JUCO recruits who intend to enroll midyear.
(7) 01-12-14 Quiet Period

(8) 01-13-14 thru 01-16-14 Dead Period *with the following exception (i)

(i) Contact Period. Coaches may have contact with a recruit who has been admitted for midyear enrollment, provided the recruit has signed a National Letter of Intent.

Reaction Score
I don't quite understand this. Are we allowed to contact kids now or not? The window is getting smaller.

6) 01-04-14 thru 01-11-14 Quiet Period. All JUCO recruits who intend to enroll midyear.

(i) Contact Period. Coaches may have contact with a recruit who has been admitted for midyear enrollment, provided the recruit has signed a National Letter of Intent.

The "dead period" is defined as a period where there are no face to face visits. Telephone calls, letters and emails are allowed allowing for coaches to set up face to face visits for the period following the dead period.
This has allowed us to get a staff of coaches in place and allow Coach Foley to keep contact/phone calls and HCBD to continue but only through the phones. See attached from Scout.com.
With full compliment of coaches coming in next week with their own telephone lists and heavy emphasis on recruiting backgrounds, I suspect the new rules to benefit us in our transition as no other schools were allowed
to have face to face contact!!!!!!!!!!

http://oregon.scout.com/2/1358145.html

Reaction Score

The "dead period" is defined as a period where there are no face to face visits. Telephone calls, letters and emails are allowed allowing for coaches to set up face to face visits for the period following the dead period.
This has allowed us to get a staff of coaches in place and allow Coach Foley to keep contact/phone calls and HCBD to continue but only through the phones. See attached from Scout.com.
With full compliment of coaches coming in next week with their own telephone lists and heavy emphasis on recruiting backgrounds, I suspect the new rules to benefit us in our transition as no other schools were allowed
to have face to face contact!!!!!!!!!!

http://oregon.scout.com/2/1358145.html

Also dates are from 12/17/13 to 1/15/14 for dead period. from SB Nation
http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2013/10/30/5048350/college-football-recruiting-dead-period

Reaction Score
Thomas Holley (4 star DT) was recruited specifically by Diaco when BD was at Notre Dame. Holley also holds an offer from UConn. The issue is that he holds an offer from about a million other places too. But if Diaco can convince him to come here to be a star, then maybe....maybe I can keep dreaming! ;)

http://rivals.yahoo.com/connecticut...lley-147464;_ylt=AqdkP9svB.QjxoUTCABV33gDrpB4

There are multiple other players on that list that are from NJ, NY, MA, and PA (Diaco territory and UConn territory). Who knows what could happen? I hope something positive comes out of it for UConn...

SWiltfong24711:08am via Tweet Button
Brooklyn (NY) Lincoln five-star DT Thomas Holley flips verbal commitment to #Florida from #PennState:florida.247sports.com/Article/Thomas… via @247Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom