Penn State Commits...who leaves | The Boneyard

Penn State Commits...who leaves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Honestly, it would be nice to add WR coach Stan Hixon to the staff. According to the article Hixon was a big reason why the 2 big time wide receivers (Godwin & Thompkins) elected to go to Penn State and are willing to follow him if he is not retained by PSU. If I was Diaco I would make that phone call ASAP.

Reaction Score
LJ Sr has only been at PSU as a college asst (he went there around the time his son went to play there). Before that he coached HS ball in Maryland. He is widely regarded as one of if not the best recruiter on the east coast, as well as an excellent dine coach.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I wonder when Chasz Wright flips again. Maybe he'll flip back to UCONN?

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
But do any of them have ties to Diaco in the past?

Thomas Holley (4 star DT) was recruited specifically by Diaco when BD was at Notre Dame. Holley also holds an offer from UConn. The issue is that he holds an offer from about a million other places too. But if Diaco can convince him to come here to be a star, then maybe....maybe I can keep dreaming! ;)

http://rivals.yahoo.com/connecticut...lley-147464;_ylt=AqdkP9svB.QjxoUTCABV33gDrpB4

There are multiple other players on that list that are from NJ, NY, MA, and PA (Diaco territory and UConn territory). Who knows what could happen? I hope something positive comes out of it for UConn...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I wonder when Chasz Wright flips again. Maybe he'll flip back to UCONN?

I thought about that too, but I'm guessing that he was gone once he saw the "Penn State" and not necessarily the "O'Brien". I say that because he committed to them just a couple of days ago when all of the Texans talk started. Prior to that, he was talking about switching to Temple, so it seems to me that he was gone from UConn the second we changed our former coaching staff (which is odd as hell!)...

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Some of the conversation here seems to be focused on coaches. Coach O'Brien left. He was not fired. I imagine some of his assistants will follow him.

Reaction Score
Some of the conversation here seems to be focused on coaches. Coach O'Brien left. He was not fired. I imagine some of his assistants will follow him.
I'd be VERY surprised if Larry Johnson Sr followed B OB. He was on Joe Pa's staff at PSU..coming there from his HS job around the time his son went to play there. He'll either stay at PSU or move on to another school.

Reaction Score
I guess it might considered a pipe dream if LJ Sr came to Storrs??? One can dream.

The only way I see LJ sr. coming to Uconn is for a promotion such as DC/DL coach other than that he'll stay DL coach at either PSU or at a P5 program.

Reaction Score
Next time someone feels compelled to cry about how Edsall left - just remember what O'Brien got kids to commit to and then walked away in 2 years.
GREAT point!

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Next time someone feels compelled to cry about how Edsall left - just remember what O'Brien got kids to commit to and then walked away in 2 years.

That's correct. His departure was worse than a poor departure, which makes his an extra poor departure... :rolleyes:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
That's correct. His departure was worse than a poor departure, which makes his an extra poor departure... :rolleyes:

Yeah selling kids to sign up for a handicapped program and then leaving them stuck there isn't worse than he told us on the phone he was leaving.

It's not like O'Brien is banned from the postseason anymore - just a bunch of kids who weren't there while Penn State was enabling.

Reaction Score
Thomas Holley (4 star DT) was recruited specifically by Diaco when BD was at Notre Dame. Holley also holds an offer from UConn. The issue is that he holds an offer from about a million other places too. But if Diaco can convince him to come here to be a star, then maybe....maybe I can keep dreaming! ;)

http://rivals.yahoo.com/connecticut...lley-147464;_ylt=AqdkP9svB.QjxoUTCABV33gDrpB4

There are multiple other players on that list that are from NJ, NY, MA, and PA (Diaco territory and UConn territory). Who knows what could happen? I hope something positive comes out of it for UConn...

Saw that Indiana is making a push for Holley trying to leverage his friendship w/ former teammate Jordan Fuchs....

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Penn State sounds like a train wreck. Can't blame him at all. And anyone who committed to them should have known better.

Husky25

Reaction Score
BS. It wasn't that Coach Edsall left UConn. That was always a possibility. It was how he left. Coaches change schools. So be it. Do it with a little more discretion, that's all.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I'd be VERY surprised if Larry Johnson Sr followed B OB. He was on Joe Pa's staff at PSU..coming there from his HS job around the time his son went to play there. He'll either stay at PSU or move on to another school.
And the others?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
BS. It wasn't that Coach Edsall left UConn. That was always a possibility. It was how he left. Coaches change schools. So be it. Do it with a little more discretion, that's all.

That's the frigging point. Three years later and people are still crying about 'discretion'. Better coaches have done worse things. Get over it.

Reaction Score

Those kids are pretty dumb if they didn't think he was going to leave the first chance he got. He was never a college guy, and he had no connection to Penn State. PSU was always a stepping stone job for him.

The only reason he didn't leave last year is that the buyout was absurd. The writing's been on the wall since the moment he got there.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I thought about that too, but I'm guessing that he was gone once he saw the "Penn State" and not necessarily the "O'Brien". I say that because he committed to them just a couple of days ago when all of the Texans talk started. Prior to that, he was talking about switching to Temple, so it seems to me that he was gone from UConn the second we changed our former coaching staff (which is odd as hell!)...
This. He committed to Penn St well into the talk of O'Brien to the Texans. He knew what he was getting into and wanted to play at a big name school. For some kids, that's all that matters. They could care less about playing in a bowl and instead want the big program experience. UConn can't compete with that anytime soon. I wish it was different but it's reality.

Reaction Score
And the others?
Looks like Nixon will be going with him. I would assume most of them may go because they are "his guys"...LJ Sr and Van Der Linden were holdovers and he let Van go a few wks ago

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom