Penn St Uconn | The Boneyard

Penn St Uconn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
A couple of things. One we didnt get the ball down low enough and 2 we didnt get the fast break going and when we did we missed alot of layups in both games this week. Our defense is really unbeleivable and thats whats winning games for us. Our offense is sputtering and because we have so many scorers we have won.

In the second half we turned it up and Penn St couldnt get the ball in bounds. Penn St and the other nite MD are two very good teams we beat by 15 and in both games our offense was not where it should be. Also in both games our defense caused alot of turnovers and we missed taking advantage of that. Why? IMO we are playing to fast, which means poise.

KML lite it up, as did Kelly againest MD. Last nite Kelly had 5 steals 5 pts and 3 assists. BB and KML were the only two players in double figures. What this shows me is something we've talked about for a long time. UConn has too many scorers and is to deep to stop offensively. I know some fans worry about the offense and we all should because were not playing to our potential, but how many top teams can beat PS and MD by 15 let alone on a poor offensive nite?

So what do we need to work on. IMO getting the ball down low to Stef and setting screens for Breanna to either take a good outside shot or dribble drive. We need to make our layups underneath. Over the past 2 games we rushed them and missed a bunch of them. These two games exposed our weaknesses which is a good thing. Now we know what has to be fixed and we have 2 weeks til our next game to work on it.

We know what this offense can do. Its explosive. We saw that @ TAM and Purdue both ranked teams. We didnt see it this week. So what happened. IMO its a combo or physical play making us play to fast and trying to rush the fast break. Another point when we take the ball to the hoop we need to make sure were taking our time to make the layup and if we get fouled we go to the line. We missed alot of layups due to going to fast...to me thats poise. We need to get the ball down low to Stef and if that dosnt work we need our bigs up top running pick and rolls and kicking it out if theres no lane. KML did a nice job last nite taking it to the hoop but when a defender is infront of her she needs to make the adjustment like taking a 5 footer.

Offensively we are not in as bad shape as we looked. It looks like we are in bad shape because of all the points weve been putting up. However we have enough scorers and a terrific defense that has bailed us out. Im not saying were in good shape either, were not, but weve had enough offense to beat two really good team. This week we did not play to our potential. For the next 2 weeks were off and we will get it straightened out and we will see what happens againest Oakland and Hartford before we travel to Stanford before ND.

The next two weeks most of us will be suffering from withdrawal as our girls have their exams. I think the tuffest exam will be Genos.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
We need to make our layups underneath. Over the past 2 games we rushed them and missed a bunch of them.
We know what this offense can do. Its explosive. We saw that @ TAM and Purdue both ranked teams. We didnt see it this week. So what happened. IMO its a combo or physical play making us play to fast and trying to rush the fast break. Another point when we take the ball to the hoop we need to make sure were taking our time to make the layup and if we get fouled we go to the line. We missed alot of layups due to going to fast...to me thats poise.

I blame us. Yes us, the Boneyard. I think the girls are reading our predictions. Seeing that we expect to win by +25, +30, to score in the 80's, 90's. This is putting a lot of pressure on them. They feel the need to to try to score as fast as possible, hence the rushing or playing too fast Tony has noticed.

I'm gonna do my part. Next game against Oakland I'm predicting 52-43. UCONN.

Reaction Score
I think Geno will have Stewart taking more her turn around jumpers from 8-10 feet.
It seems deadly and almost unstoppable. She just doesn't do it enough.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think UConn is vulnerable to fast, physical play, just not vulnerable enough. PSU's approach wasn't bad, but it the end it wore down them more than us. I think that will be an issue for virtually all teams that take this approach. In order to raise the pace to the point that it bothers us, you will wear yourself down. Keep in mind as well that it is traditionally tough to focus in the game before exam break. I think that was a factor as well. In the end great teams find away to win regardless of what their opponents throw at them. UConn has passed that test so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom