Penders Gets It | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Penders Gets It

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
This April was far from typical.

True. But it's typically still on the colder side. I still think 50 is cold to sit stationary outside. I won't do it for the Red Sox, I'm not doing it for UConn. This is subjective so everyone can disagree, but to me, that's cold.

20180501_222601.jpg

The biggest factor regarding UCONN Baseball attendance is the Storrs location which makes it very difficult for many to attend Mon.-Fri. mid afternoon games.

I think that's a huge factor as well. That, the weather, and the fact that people have other stuff to do in life than attend every single UConn home game in every sport. Not everyone is a Boneyarder and a diehard. Heck, I post here but wouldn't consider myself a diehard. People have crap to do and going to games for the 5th most popular sport at a local college isn't usually high on the list. This board should probably accept that.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Yes. It is. You don't think it should. But it does. By your own observation of the Tulane series, this is the case.

I actually agree with your sentiments, tbh, but it just feels like your point is that the obstacles that UConn faces in building a larger baseball fan base- which, frankly, is just the weather (the team is certainly plenty good enough and if games were played at night in 75 degrees I'm sure they'd draw better)- shouldn't exist just because in your opinion they shouldn't exist. The problem is they do exist. How do you fix them? Tough to fix snow in April.

Michigan and Indiana -- two other successful northern programs -- have no issue drawing butts to seats (well over 1,000 a game on average). Neither program plays in fantastic weather on a regular basis.

I don't think weather is the main issue. After all, successful UConn teams of the past have struggled to draw for home games even in nice weather. J.O. Christian is obviously suboptimal for the time being, but stadium quality doesn't explain 200 people at a big conference game on Sunday. The students in particular are disappointingly absent from games.

How do we get more support? Well, I guess the program could use more PR from the university. Mind you, Benedict has shown an active interest in the team and Chris Jones (the play by play guy) is awesome in every way, but it's true the program doesn't get the coverage it deserves. I don't have any easy solutions to the problem, but UConn nation needs to think critically about how to support its successful programs because a couple hundred people a home game is a horrible look for any prospective p5 conference.

We are definitely not far apart on this. Where I disagree is that it's acceptable for UConn fans to ignore a regional host-level team because of cool weather. It's not.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
We are definitely not far apart on this. Where I disagree is that it's acceptable for UConn fans to ignore a regional host-level team because of cool weather. It's not.

Fair enough.

Reaction Score
If the team keeps on at its trajectory, the weather wont' be as much of an issue as people think.

Reaction Score
With the gobs of free money that can be diverted from the CT transportation fund after tolls are implemented, they can just build a domed baseball stadium...might as well put in a small entertainment center (water park, adventure park, mini-golf, etc.) inside to combat fan apathy.

Problems solved!

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
The lack of lights is a bigger problem than weather. 3:00 or noon starts on Tuesday and Wednesday is impossible to attend for 90 percent of people

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
The lack of lights is a bigger problem than weather. 3:00 or noon starts on Tuesday and Wednesday is impossible to attend for 90 percent of people

Yea I honestly don't have an issue with those midweek games. It's the weekend games that people need to start coming out for.

Dunkin' Donuts park will be lively for Houston, but the ECU series concerns me.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom