Penders Gets It | The Boneyard

Penders Gets It

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Not sure if this is buried in another thread.

UConn baseball "extends the UConn brand".

Baseball makes sure UConn's name doesn't end with Final Fours in basketball.

Mike Anthony: Jim Penders, UConn Baseball Thriving In 2018 Storm

A decent football program that can at least make a bowl game. Men's basketball teams that go second weekend and beyond, solid women's sports across the board with elite basketball and baseball in the spring.

Throw in an NFL draft pick or two, NBA 1st round pick andC UConn is relevant throughout the college sports season cycle.

Reaction Score
I think of all the sports UConn has - they have enormous growth potential in baseball. And by growth, I mean turning into a revenue sport. College baseball has been slow to catch on in the northeast, but I think with the right shtick - it can and will. A few cape teams, a few NECBL teams, and Worcester and a handful of futures league teams draw legit crowds. If the region had a team to rally around, it could take off.

Bryant is very good - but again - the ceiling is limited. I'd say St John's is the traditional regional power but they've put zero effort into monetizing it.

And the other thing the team has going for it - strangely enough - is the AAC is a spectacularly good baseball conference. With the Island of Misfit toys landing where they have - it's oddly a great collection of good baseball schools. USF is making massive inroads as is UConn. Houston is a national power. Witchita has fallen off in recent years, but historically is an outstanding program. Tulane can't get a coach to stick long term - but they've got an oddly large recruiting footprint and find a way to be really good. Memphis is a program that's always kind of baffled me a bit. They're in a tremendously competitive recruiting area, and I feel like they should be better than they are. East Carolina's always been good and UCF is no joke. Even Cincinnati - who can't seem to turn the engine over - is throwing globs of money at their program and just lured Xavier's head coach away.

Pitt and BC can't put one foot in front of the other in the ACC...

Like everything is set up for UConn to not only emerge, but really turn themselves into a national power if they play their cards right - and the AAC will in this one particular case - really help them do that.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I think of all the sports UConn has - they have enormous growth potential in baseball. And by growth, I mean turning into a revenue sport. College baseball has been slow to catch on in the northeast, but I think with the right shtick - it can and will. A few cape teams, a few NECBL teams, and Worcester and a handful of futures league teams draw legit crowds. If the region had a team to rally around, it could take off.

Bryant is very good - but again - the ceiling is limited. I'd say St John's is the traditional regional power but they've put zero effort into monetizing it.

And the other thing the team has going for it - strangely enough - is the AAC is a spectacularly good baseball conference. With the Island of Misfit toys landing where they have - it's oddly a great collection of good baseball schools. USF is making massive inroads as is UConn. Houston is a national power. Witchita has fallen off in recent years, but historically is an outstanding program. Tulane can't get a coach to stick long term - but they've got an oddly large recruiting footprint and find a way to be really good. Memphis is a program that's always kind of baffled me a bit. They're in a tremendously competitive recruiting area, and I feel like they should be better than they are. East Carolina's always been good and UCF is no joke. Even Cincinnati - who can't seem to turn the engine over - is throwing globs of money at their program and just lured Xavier's head coach away.

Like everything is set up for UConn to not only emerge, but really turn themselves into a national power if they play their cards right - and the AAC will in this one particular case - really help them do that.
What’s preventing UConn baseball from being a revenue sport is playing like 10 home games a year in a 2,000 seat stadium. Most of them in the cold of April and on weekday afternoons. The new stadium they’re planning will help them play more home games (lights and plowable fields). The games at DDP help build interest. If you’re a Sox fan they mention Barnes went to UConn about 40 times a season. There are advantages as well as roadblocks to UConn baseball becoming a powerhouse. The fact that they are even relevant is a miracle.

Reaction Score

What’s preventing UConn baseball from being a revenue sport is playing like 10 home games a year in a 2,000 seat stadium. Most of them in the cold of April and on weekday afternoons. The new stadium they’re planning will help them play more home games (lights and plowable fields). The games at DDP help build interest. If you’re a Sox fan they mention Barnes went to UConn about 40 times a season. There are advantages as well as roadblocks to UConn baseball becoming a powerhouse. The fact that they are even relevant is a miracle.

Both of these analysis are true.

If (and this is a big if) Penders can get a team to Omaha, I think we could have a mini Husky baseball mania on our hands.

I felt it building to that in 2011 when that team played in the super regionals at South Carolina, but fell just short.

Like UConn hockey, I think, especially, the greater Hartford area can rally around it as "their" team.

Also like hockey, I think anyone that has grown up in the region knows that the average Connecticut sports fan is more knowledgeable about baseball than the average sports fan from Colorado or someplace.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score

Couldn't disagree more. @Dream Jobbed 2.0 beat me to it, but a slow sport with negative growth at the youth level that wraps up in mid-May, when the weather for a majority of the season is in the 50s is not likely to catch on in the northeast.

Reaction Score
Both of these analysis are true.

If (and this is a big if) Penders can get a team to Omaha, I think we could have a mini Husky baseball mania on our hands.

I felt it building to that in 2011 when that team played in the super regionals at South Carolina, but fell just short.

Like UConn hockey, I think, especially, the greater Hartford area can rally around it as "their" team.

Also like hockey, I think anyone that has grown up in the region knows that the average Connecticut sports fan is more knowledgeable about baseball than the average sports fan from Colorado or someplace.

Also, I think Penders is a great coach who has done a tremdous job building an actual program.

I'm excited to see what he can do when he gets the new facilities.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score

I love the AAC for baseball. Tulane has made a CWS this century (lead by 2 way players and future major leagues Bogusevic and Micah Owings), Wichita will be fine.

And you're right about the NECBL. The Gulls are a fantastic draw. The Waves are no joke. The people in places like Vermont and Keane love that stuff too.

Reaction Score
Couldn't disagree more. @Dream Jobbed 2.0 beat me to it, but a slow sport with negative growth at the youth level that wraps up in mid-May, when the weather for a majority of the season is in the 50s is not likely to catch on in the northeast.

Baseball popularity statistics can be spun in any number of ways, but I think any college sports are slightly (but obviously not completely) insulated from trends like youth participation etc.

Generally speaking, I think alumni and fans just want to see a team from their school win, and if it's a sport that people are familiar with (unlike, say Field Hockey), the popularity of that team can really take off.

Reaction Score
It's the weather. 20 home games and 40 away is tough sledding. Really tough produce revenue in that scenario. SEC teams often host 40 games and play less than 20 on the road. And only three SEC teams produced a profit last year.

The best chance to increase revenue is to produce players that give back to the university. Baseball churns out very rich young men. A handful of big leaguers makes a huge difference. And they are also the team's best recruiting tool. If Penders can turn up the velocity of the pro pipeline, he will create a sustainable system. But turning baseball into a revenue sports will be very hard.

Reaction Score
It's the weather. 20 home games and 40 away is tough sledding. Really tough produce revenue in that scenario. SEC teams often host 40 games and play less than 20 on the road. And only three SEC teams produced a profit last year.

The best chance to increase revenue is to produce players that give back to the university. Baseball churns out very rich young men. A handful of big leaguers makes a huge difference. And they are also the team's best recruiting tool. If Penders can turn up the velocity of the pro pipeline, he will create a sustainable system. But turning baseball into a revenue sports will be very hard.

Yeah, just to clarify my previous pro-UConn baseball statements, I think turning it into an actual revenue producer will be very difficult.

Here's a picture I took on Friday at the UGA-Tennessee game. As you can see, it'll be tough for any northeast team to compete with southern schools in terms of fan support and facilities (note that UGA probably has the worst baseball facility in the SEC)

Attachments

• IMG_5541.JPG
    IMG_5541.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 134

the Q

Reaction Score

The weather alone makes baseball a tough sport to generate revenue with.

When I was scouting at UConn back in the day you were at risk for hypothermia until about May 1st. Mid-week and Friday night games would probably be better attended, but the weather would not be conducive either way.

the Q

Reaction Score
Yeah, just to clarify my previous pro-UConn baseball statements, I think turning it into an actual revenue producer will be very difficult.

Here's a picture I took on Friday at the UGA-Tennessee game. As you can see, it'll be tough for any northeast team to compete with southern schools in terms of fan support and facilities (note that UGA probably has the worst baseball facility in the SEC)

1) That reminds me of UNC's field.

2) have you seen Clemson's new baseball only facility? If I was a player there, I would probably say screw the dorm and just sleep there.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Generally speaking, I think alumni and fans just want to see a team from their school win, and if it's a sport that people are familiar with (unlike, say Field Hockey), the popularity of that team can really take off.

I want to see my school win, too, and I watch as many of the baseball team's NCAA tourney games as I can on TV but I'm not going to JOC Field in 45 degrees on a Thursday at 3pm in mid-March to watch them play CCSU. I get your point but it's not a great spectator sport here and when the sport is non-revenue, the only thing that matters is behinds in seats since the regular season isn't on TV.

Reaction Score
I want to see my school win, too, and I watch as many of the baseball team's NCAA tourney games as I can on TV but I'm not going to JOC Field in 45 degrees on a Thursday at 3pm in mid-March to watch them play CCSU. I get your point but it's not a great spectator sport here and when the sport is non-revenue, the only thing that matters is behinds in seats since the regular season isn't on TV.

Nothing wrong with this!

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
-->Points out UConn should strive be successful in all sports.

-->The Boneyard badge of "he gets it" honor.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The weather is the biggest thing against northeast baseball. It's too cold to play up here for half the season. If the season started a month later, it would be a more natural fit. Still, CT loves a winner.

The games in DDP, and in Storrs once the new stadium is completed, will build interest. You can feel the momentum. (FWIW same is true with Hockey.)

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Honestly, this is probably the "normal fandom" at even the best baseball schools, save for maybe LSU.

Basically, the goal should be to get to Omaha, have 1-2 million people watching UConn baseball, tweeting about it etc.

Expand the brand, have people talking about UConn athletics at a non traditional time of the year.

Reaction Score
The weather is the biggest thing against northeast baseball. It's too cold to play up here for half the season. If the season started a month later, it would be a more natural fit. Still, CT love a winner.

The games in DDP, and in Storrs once the new stadium is completed, will build interest. You can feel the momentum. (FWIW same is true with Hockey.)

I've always believed that, since the college baseball powers reside in the south and west, that they rigged the schedule to keep big northern schools from being able to ever consistently compete with them.

Reaction Score
I've always believed that, since the college baseball powers reside in the south and west, that they rigged the schedule to keep big northern schools from being able to ever consistently compete with them.
I think it's more of an issue with the school calendar...

the Q

Reaction Score

Plausible, but football rolls into cold weather season too. I would imagine most seasons have some cold weather component to them. The only way to do it in baseball is to shorten the season. The problem is the weather can be pretty freaking miserable here until May.

And the best talent comes from the south and west.

Texas
Florida
Cali
Arizona
Vegas
Louisiana
Carolinas

the Q

Reaction Score
I think it's more of an issue with the school calendar...

Not sure about that. The college WS ends well after most schools are out.

Reaction Score
Plausible, but football rolls into cold weather season too. I would imagine most seasons have some cold weather component to them. The only way to do it in baseball is to shorten the season. The problem is the weather can be pretty freaking miserable here until May.

And the best talent comes from the south and west.

Texas
Florida
Cali
Arizona
Vegas
Louisiana
Carolinas

And Georgia!

the Q

Reaction Score
And Georgia!

Of course. I apologize for leaving them out. They very much deserve to be on the list.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom