Pearl, Person, NCAA | The Boneyard

Pearl, Person, NCAA

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Gotta admit, savvy move by a guy who knows how to play the system. At worst, it’s a calculated risk in there being no season. These scumbags know how to play the game. Until they actually get punished, can you blame them??

Reaction Score
Somehow I have trouble with the whole Bruce didn't know nuthin' narrative. And Auburn voluntarily forgoing post season play that only has a 50/50 chance of happening.

On top of that Auburn was projected to finish 8th in the SEC this season so they probably won't make the NCAA Tournament if it does occur. So this self-imposed ban probably will have absolutely no effect on the program. Hopefully the NCAA gives them something that has some teeth in it. But I highly doubt that will happen.

Reaction Score
If there's no tourney do they still get to pretend like they self imposed a ban?

Reaction Score
Bruce Pearl's Tigers are replacing five starters from a team that finished 25-6. They were picked seventh in the preseason SEC poll. They are 66th at KenPom. They are 108th at Torvik. Barring a (mild) surprise, they would not have made the 2021 NCAA Tournament anyway. So in this pandemic-shortened season where everything is uncertain and nothing guaranteed, Auburn has banned itself from the postseason with the hope being that when the NCAA finally does formally punish the program, it will get credit for time served.

So, again, it's hard to argue Auburn didn't make the smart move.

But is it right?

Basically saying what I said above. The self-imposed penalty is useless.

Reaction Score
It’s like a kid asking for the punishment of “no video games today” when the electricity is out in the whole neighborhood. Parents aren’t dumb enough to fall for that.. ncaa better show some backbone

Reaction Score
Pearl's a proven sleeze and this cements that status. He saw what's been charged at Kansas and Arizona and must be very nervous, so what better to do than whip out the old self-imposed sanction ruse.

I can hear the violins in the background as he laments how his student-athletes will be denied a second year of post-season play because of Person's actions. As if his contract doesn't depend on running a clean program, he knew nothing, the players knew nothing and his great record was the result of his coaching and not recruiting violations.

Here's a quote about the student athlete aspect of this from a companion article I'll post below:
"(By the way, I also don't feel too sorry for the student-athletes currently at Auburn. Each of them enrolled after Person was arrested in September 2017 and charged with federal crimes that promised to create NCAA issues. So if they didn't want to be at risk of someday being banned from the postseason, they probably should've picked a different school. But I digress.)"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom