Peace RANDY EDSALL | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Peace RANDY EDSALL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Not certain what u need to speculate on but I will clarify if u could not understand
Randy was good for the program
I had many run ins with randy as did other parents of the same era
Randy s players loved him and yes they would run through a wall for him
I believe randy was first and foremost for randy
I believe he threw players under the bus to protect himself
When players became the face of the program over Randy we became more difficult to deal with

I hope this puts an end to your speculation if not then ...,.

Reaction Score
Thank you sir, speculate was probably the wrong word. You made it very clear.

Reaction Score
2ffbbe52b183627aadfa96e3f5e46abe.jpg

Chap is that you?

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
FHCRE was very good for UConn and was the right coach for the time. Did his leaving the way he did leave a bad taste in people's mouths, yes, but he did a good job here.
I wish him nothing but the best no matter where he ends up as he is a class act in many ways.

Reaction Score
FHCRE was very good for UConn and was the right coach for the time. Did his leaving the way he did leave a bad taste in people's mouths, yes, but he did a good job here.
I wish him nothing but the best no matter where he ends up as he is a class act in many ways.

I agree....

Reaction Score
It was harsh, but still less harsh than Brian Kelly or Rich Rodriguez bailing before their team's BCS bowl game.
I can never understand how coaches do that. I'm a teacher for christ sakes and when I took a new job I had to give my old job the first 30 days of the school year before I could start my new job.

Reaction Score
You want to freak out? There is a better than insignificant chance that RE is a candidate to replace Disco if he leaves in the next couple years.

He'd be a better candidate than the random assistant we'd otherwise get. I think everyone would sign up for the 2007-2010 version of the huskies right now, even if a tougher schedule cost one or two wins per year.

Yikes! Thanks but no thanks. That would be a complete program capitulation.

Reaction Score
Randy was good for the program during its start up years. He needs to get kudos for that. But I felt he had taken the program about as far as he could take it. It was time for his ride on the pony to end. We needed a more dynamic coach. One who could recruit better and had a better offensive and defensive scheme. So I was not at all unhappy that he left. For me it was all about his poor choice of sneaking out the back door.

Our problems did not begin with him leaving but with our AD's choice for our head coach (who name shall go unmentioned) . With the right coach at that time we should have and could have continued to climb. But.......

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I wonder who "Dan" could be. Didn't we have some kid named Dan who played QB in the NFL? Or am I dreaming?
And became a bigger local name than HCRE? That's a toughie!

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Rumor has it Diaco to UMD on a 52 year 620 million dollar contract

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

Not that many ways. When he had to come back to UConn hat-in-hand after failing to land the Georgia Tech job he said would be the UConn coach "for as long as you'll have me." And promptly went back to looking for his dream job. He is just too self-obsessed and full of crap to be called a class act.

Reaction Score
interesting reading the thread. Edsall is a good guy with a genuine interest in the kids but the one thing that continues to stick out is those who out shine him get reduced. he loves the kid with no scholarship offers, someone he can mold, but in my opinion did or has done very little for the elite players and helped them rise to new heights. Also, Edsall is stepping on himself. As time as gone by, he's done more to alienate his fan base than invite and then you lose by 20+ weekly, but his tone never changes. It's always about the kids poor technique but never about the poor schemes. This 5 year marriage could not end soon enough.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
interesting reading the thread. Edsall is a good guy with a genuine interest in the kids but the one thing that continues to stick out is those who out shine him get reduced. he loves the kid with no scholarship offers, someone he can mold, but in my opinion did or has done very little for the elite players and helped them rise to new heights. Also, Edsall is stepping on himself. As time as gone by, he's done more to alienate his fan base than invite and then you lose by 20+ weekly, but his tone never changes. It's always about the kids poor technique but never about the poor schemes. This 5 year marriage could not end soon enough.

All true. #That'sSoRandy

Reaction Score
Shhhh. You can't say those things on this board.

Seriously though, those were the same issues some of us UConn fans had with him as well. Alienate the fan base: Check, always about lack of execution and never about a poor game plan: check. One post game conference he said we told the kids what to do they just didn't do it.

That said, I can't take anything away from what he accomplished here, but as the former player parent posted in this thread, he always gave the impression he was about himself first and foremost always.

Reaction Score
My problem with RE was not so much how he left but that for the last five years or so he was here he could not wait to get out. He would have taken any job offered. And this was at a time in which UConn football was actually good and trending upwards, mostly because of him. It seemed like he hated being at UConn. Plus he has always been in love with himself.

Reaction Score
Edsall has a reputation of being an average coach; but a higher character type of guy (with one big black eye - leaving UConn in the middle of the night) and someone who can help clean-up a program. Thus, I would not be at all surprised that he could land just up I-95 and stay in the B1G with Rutgers. Why -
  • Can help clean-up the mess at Rutgers, which is likely their #1 concern versus on-field performance
  • Likely can be had relatively on the cheap, which is good because Rutgers can't afford an established coach right now
  • Familiar with the B1G and the Northeast, including Jersey as he is from Pennsylvania and has coached at Syracuse, UConn, and Maryland
  • Knows how to work with inept AD, though Hermann may actually be worse that Hathaway as Hathaway was at least quiet while being incompetent while Hermann is anything but quiet and incompetent

Reaction Score
Let's just appreciate the monumental job he took on, willingly, when he was hired by Lew Perkins. Yes, Trailers were his office. The locker room was 1960ish. It was NOT a good FCS infrastructure; let alone the idea that we would soon play BC, B1G schools, Georgia Tech (at Memorial), Notre Dame, Oklahoma. You want the number one reason why we lagged in the CR sweeps? We were simply unprepared for the decade of the Aughts.

Edsall built a program from scratch. And, when you contrast that with USF, UCF, Temple, Schiano ... he did a darn good job. However, his fate is what many of us would have predicted. The Terp fan sees what we saw. He wasn't comfortably fit into taking higher level kids and playing at a far higher level. He did love his underdog under-the -radar mentality. I think Diaco is better frame of mind on taking a Program to a higher level; anyway, that's my story ... and hope.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
My problem with RE was not so much how he left but that for the last five years or so he was here he could not wait to get out. He would have taken any job offered. And this was at a time in which UConn football was actually good and trending upwards, mostly because of him. It seemed like he hated being at UConn. Plus he has always been in love with himself.
Would you work with Jeff Hathaway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22