PBR/espnW releases 2022/23 rankings | Page 2 | The Boneyard

PBR/espnW releases 2022/23 rankings

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Amber actually had a brain aneurysm, had surgery in her home state to remove a vein from her arm to place in her brain to reroute blood flow around the aneurysm and decided to transfer closer to home after the surgery to be close to the hospital and doctors that performed the surgery. It’s a shame it happened to her, she had a bright career ahead of her I think.

Ah that's right! Thanks for the correction. I should have researched more.

Reaction Score
Here's an example of the high quality, in depth analysis that goes into Hoopgurlz '23 rankings that everyone should be drooling to get their hands on. Breya Cunningham is a highly skilled 6-4 post from Cali. that is probably underrated at #7. She is comparable to UConn commit I. Brady and a year younger. And is rated a elite post prospect regardless of class. However, Hoopgurlz using their crystal ball has listed Letycia Vasconcelos, a 6-7 post from Georgia at #6 as a 5 Star without ANY evaluation available. What? The dart they threw must have landed on a #6.

The current ranking service has zero evaluations posted. The evaluation of Cunningham was done by Olson, the prior ranker.
Go over to the mens side and you'll see what a professional ranking list looks like.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Here's an example of the high quality, in depth analysis that goes into Hoopgurlz '23 rankings that everyone should be drooling to get their hands on. Breya Cunningham is a highly skilled 6-4 post from Cali. that is probably underrated at #7. She is comparable to UConn commit I. Brady and a year younger. And is rated a elite post prospect regardless of class. However, Hoopgurlz using their crystal ball has listed Letycia Vasconcelos, a 6-7 post from Georgia at #6 as a 5 Star without ANY evaluation available. What? The dart they threw must have landed on a #6.
High quality indeed. I think someone said you get what you pay for. I've defended "some" of the ESPN and PN, & Bluestar rankings in the past-no more. Lately the ranking have been indefensible and not very logical.
@EricLA has posted about Cunningham before. Believe she is good friends/rivalry with Brady. probably a little bigger and more powerful than Brady although not as skilled or versatile especially away from the basket.

Reaction Score
High quality indeed. I think someone said you get what you pay for. I've defended "some" of the ESPN and PN, & Bluestar rankings in the past-no more. Lately the ranking have been indefensible and not very logical.
@EricLA has posted about Cunningham before. Believe she is good friends/rivalry with Brady. probably a little bigger and more powerful than Brady although not as skilled or versatile especially away from the basket.
By the time Cunningham graduates she's going to be a load. Have to believe UConn is already in on her.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Milaysia Fulwiley #3. I thought #14 was way too low in the prior rankings.
I saw video of the #8 player recently and was very impressed and thought her game actually resembled Judea Watkins quite a bit, Mikaylah Williams. mikaylah-williams
Mikaylah Williams is indeed impressive. Incredibly athletic with a great motor.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
That's a move downward for Brady. Another UConn POI--KK Bransford--slipped significantly to 27.

Londynn Jones is 15th, Grace Van Slooten 16th, Shay Bollin 19th, Ashlynn Jackson 22nd, and Jenna Isai 26th.

Coco: I have to go no further than Sluconn's note that KK Bransford slipped from the Top Ten to #27 to add another "no mas" (tip of the mouthguard to Roberto Duran). So, was KK -- who played on the USA National Team in Chile not too long ago -- not playing this year? Or hanging out on the couch?

Nah, she averaged 19.5 ppg for her HS Team and was named to the 2020 Division 1 OPSWA (Ohio Prep Sports Writers Association) First Team, along with fellow 2022 prospects Chance Gray (14), Grace Van Slooten (16) and Louisville Commit Alex Mobley (29). Other prominent D-1 prospects include 2021's Shyanne Sellers (going to Maryland) and the Player of the Year was then senior Maddy Westbeld. Pretty good company? So how does a player fall nearly 20 spots, given how where her peers are ranked?

Baba Ghanouj, over at the Bench, is trying to put together a formula that incorporates multiple rating services so outliers/strange movements can be averaged out. This one falls into this category.

In the case of Bransford, I'm sure interested coaches -- Geno and Niele, among them -- will continue to show interest. Geesh. :rolleyes:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Coco: I have to go no further than Sluconn's note that KK Bransford slipped from the Top Ten to #27 to add another "no mas" (tip of the mouthguard to Roberto Duran).

So how does a player fall nearly 20 spots, given how where her peers are ranked?

Remember that technically none of these players actually changed ranking positions; it's just a different group of people ranking them. Olsen didn't move Bransford down 17+ spots. He probably still has her where he did. The PBR folks obviously don't rank her that high at this point.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Remember that technically none of these players actually changed ranking positions; it's just a different group of people ranking them. Olsen didn't move Bransford down 17+ spots. He probably still has her where he did. The PBR folks obviously don't rank her that high at this point.

Hmm, this is how you referred to KK Bransford in the earlier post: "Another UConn POI--KK Bransford--slipped significantly to 27."

That language -- intended or not -- seemingly acknowledges that the entity known as Hoopgurlz -- whether run by Dan Olsen or PBR -- oversaw her rankings heading south. Many "normal" people don't follow recruiting as deeply like, ahem, many of us "all-in folks" here. :rolleyes: ;) To many readers. PBR is now Hoopgurlz and KK Bransford dropped 20 slots. And they'll ask why.

I'm well aware Dan O. will continue to rank players in his service and the Bench index will, indeed, include his rankings for the 2021 class (I don't know if anyone wants to pony up the cash for ensuing years!). In fact, my 2021 report for ND recruiting kept Dan's rankings and added in the new ones.

Like you, I'm sure the PBR folks don't either like her game or didn't see her. But 20 points? Excuse my eyeroll. :rolleyes: She's still either the same player who had one heck of a high school season.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I thought I read somewhere that Lauren Betts was very much interested in UCONN. Am I mistaken?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Hmm, this is how you referred to KK Bransford in the earlier post: "Another UConn POI--KK Bransford--slipped significantly to 27."

That language -- intended or not -- seemingly acknowledges that the entity known as Hoopgurlz -- whether run by Dan Olsen or PBR -- oversaw her rankings heading south. Many "normal" people don't follow recruiting as deeply like, ahem, many of us "all-in folks" here. :rolleyes: ;) To many readers. PBR is now Hoopgurlz and KK Bransford dropped 20 slots. And they'll ask why.

Yes, I was trying to point out that Bransford's ranking was much lower now than it was previously but slipped was really the wrong word to use. More accurate would've been to say she's far lower in PBR's rankings than Olsen's.

Reaction Score

The analysis of Cunningham is by the previous ranking (Olson) . You can see his name after each comment. Premier hasn't posted any justifications for their rankings except their 2021 top 25 article, which isn't in much detail.

You get what you pay for. If ESPN would lay off half the yammering ex-athletes that flood their programing they could afford better.

Reaction Score
The analysis of Cunningham is by the previous ranking (Olson) . You can see his name after each comment. Premier hasn't posted any justifications for their rankings except their 2021 top 25 article, which isn't in much detail.

You get what you pay for. If ESPN would lay off half the yammering ex-athletes that flood their programing they could afford better.
Yeah, Premier and ESPN are a good match. Two half assed operations.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Yeah, Premier and ESPN are a good match. Two half assed operations.

I don't get this. Blue Star, PN, and ASGR don't say why players get ranked where they do. Don't we just all assume they have either seen them play or have talked to others in the business who have?

Reaction Score
I don't get this. Blue Star, PN, and ASGR don't say why players get ranked where they do. Don't we just all assume they have either seen them play or have talked to others in the business who have?
Same here, we’re in this together brother. Why would any capable coach pay for this stuff or take it seriously? Only thing I can figure is that it’s just fluff for parents and fans to get excited or argue about. They remind me of the old rankings magazines that used to come out in the 60s and 70s when HS coaches would send in names and the writers would list or “rank” them from their office or living room.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom